PDA

View Full Version : PIII 933MHz Too Old to Sell?

GTMan
01-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Is this system worth selling? I know the RAM stick alone is worth about $50 used. Would anyone care to help me out with what this could be worth or should I send it the the recycling depot.

I was using this system till August but then I had to remove one bad RAM stick and with only 256MB it was getting a bit slow.

PIII 933 MHz
ASUS CUSL2-C
256MB RAM
ATI Radeon VE (7000 Series) AGP
Maxtor 60GB (if that helps) IBM 13GB otherwise
Turtle Beach Montego II Sound Card - PCI
Nice Quiet Enermax 300Watt Power Supply
Old Mitsumi 16x CDROM

Other Junk:
56K Modem
TR1 Tape Drive
100MB Zip Drive

(51)
01-06-2006, 04:16 AM
I reckon you could get about $200 for it.

You could also donate it to a local chuch, or non-profit group. Do you get tax credit in CN for good deeds???

switch_abx
01-06-2006, 04:29 AM
this is an opportunity to try out Linux, or make it a Hardware Firewall and/or Router.

CYCLOPS
01-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Throw a cheap PNY 512 stick in it and make it a file server or backup repository. My CUSL2 sits quietly in the basement with a Promise card supporting a few 200g drives and stores all my music, video, backups of the other two machines and an FTP and web page server. It is plenty fast for that function and performs flawlessly. I hardly ever turn on the monitor but it is the backbone of my network storing the bulk of my files.

3 of 7
01-06-2006, 08:46 AM
It's a great internet machine (especially for an elderly relative to recieve pictures of their grandkids etc)... If it runs good and has an old monitor to go with it, you should be able to get 200-300.. If your going to send it to the recyclers gimme a PM, I could put it to use and save you the $10 they'd charge you..(I could pick it up)...
If you need a monitor to sell it, I have one that works that you could have for free.

GTMan
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'm keeping my nice 22" NEC so I don't have a monitor to go with it. If I could get $225 then I would sell it.

Probably could donate it. I know there is a place in Vancouver. In Victoria there is a recycling place I know of but I'm not sure what they do with good parts.

I suppose I could dig around for some spare parts to make it a full system. Thanks for the offer of a monitor, I'll keep that in mind.

Didn't know that MB could take a 512MB DIMM.

Would Ebay be worth a try or should I just try to sell it locally?

Gorganzola
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
There have been reports of some people managing to get a 512MB stick working, but it was rare, stick to 2x 256MB.

Sandpiper
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
My parents live on Vancouver Island, and my dad has been wanting a PC that works. (He has a very old, non-working one.) Darn, if I were there right now, I'd buy it from you and set it up for my dad. It'd be perfect for him. Anyway, yeah, I agree with other folks, i.e. try not to recycle it. If I didn't live so far away from you (and in the U.S.), I'd make you an offer. I always like picking up older machines.

XenoS_abx
01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Same here regardng "the parents". Mine have never owned a PC and I've been trying to put something together for them just so they could maybe get on the web. When it comes to technology, they've definitely fallen behind lol. Especially ever since my dad lost his job a long time ago. They only got a used DVD player very recently, mostly because they couldn't rent VHS tapes anymore. I have a junker Slot-1 PIII 500 and ASUS P3B-F with 768 MB of PC100 (or PC133, not 100% sure) memory kicking around, but I also have this Tualatin 1.2 GHZ FC-PGA 370 Celeron chip that used to be in one of those slot converters but never worked too well for me (unstable from heat I'm guessing). I'm trying to find an appropriate motherboard for it at the moment actually so that my parents could have a PC capable of running XP for e-mail and surfing primarily. I'd certainly consider buying your PC if you were to sell it, or parts of it if you were willing to sell it that way too (preferred).

CYCLOPS
01-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Mine almost ended up in the trash when a memory slot went quirky.
I stuck a cheap 512 stick in the good one and she has been purring along just dandy ever since and still overclocked. Excellent FTP server.

Many areas have programs for elderly or poor where you can donate a machine. Just remember to do a security wipe on the drives before fitting it out with a fesh installed (and updated please) OS.
You can often write off the value on your taxes as a donation.