PDA

View Full Version : Vista Games Desktop Folder

War_is_murder
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been tweaking my desktop slowly but surely. I downloaded and installed Startocks Objectdock. I love it, it works perfectly, and it takes the clutter off my desktop. The only icon I have left on my desktop is my Games folder. (The one where windows automatically creates a shortcut with the box art.) If I drag it onto Objectbar, it stays and works perfectly except for the fact that I can't delete the original folder on the desktop. It only creates a shortcut to Objectbar. I tried going into the shortcut propertys but, on the vista folder, the path shows c:\users\(myusername)\desktop. If I tell the objectbar shortcut to look at that same path, obviously it opens a folder containing my desktop. (which is empty save the games icon) I'm not sure what to do here. Also, for months I've had trouble with the folder settings of that specific folder. Almost everytime I open it, it's a different setting ie: icons shown in list, icons shown in details, icons shown in medium size, icons shown in large size. I've changed the folder settings numerous times with no luck. Sometimes it will display how i'd like it to look, but like I said, it changes often. Hopefully I'm just not doing something right.

Don't know if this is necessary, but here's my rig:
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Asus M2N-SLi
Amd 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+(2CPUs)
Memory 2046mb
DirectX10
NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT with 2 monitors

Please help!

crabby
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi there! :D

And :welcome:

So you have two issues, let's seperate them so things don't get confusing:

1) Instead of a folder only a shortcut is created in stardock.
2) You can't delete the games folder from your desktop.
3) The folder doesn't keep it's defined viewing style.

The first two issues are due to one thing. It isn't a folder! :D Just try and search for it if you don't believe me.

In fact, it is a program, and that's the reason it actually works (If it was a folder, each game would have to be able to install a shortcut to it, and the install process simply doesn't do this. Instead Microsofts applet knows what a game is and so installs it to this applet automatically). So;

1) It will only ever be a shortcut in Stardock.
2) This should be doable by:

a) Delete the shortcut from the Stardock
b) Delete the shortcut from your Desktop
c) In the Start menu search for 'games'
d) Drag the 'Games Explorer' program to the Stardock and create that shortcut instead.

When it comes to the third issue, look here: Delete and Reset Windows Vista Folder Views or Folder Types Settings to Default Clean State My Digital Life (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/08/delete-and-reset-windows-vista-folder-views-or-folder-types-settings-to-default-clean-state/)

That should tell you all the issues that there currently are with the 'View' setting and hopefully help you to come to terms with your problem :(

If there is anything you don't understand or that doesn't work, let me know :D

crabby

War_is_murder
06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks alot for your input. I knew it wasn't a 'folder' as defined by typical definitions. In the user folder the pictures, documents, contacts, favorites etc.. are all like this from what I understand.

The Games Explorer link works perfectly! At last, a clean, and more importantly, empty desktop. Wheres stardock for bedrooms?

As for the folder options, i just deleted the registry and hopefully everythings stays a bit more stable.

Thanks alot for your help!