View Full Version : I hate Win 8!

PeterT
09-24-2012, 04:49 PM
I finally installed it on my test PC and I hate it! :wall:
WTH was MS thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I can't find anything.
I don't know how to do anything.
And, it's UGLY!
I can not understand why they would not offer a choice of 2 user interfaces; the new one for touch screens and the old one for desktops.

zapionics<alt>
09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
I finally installed it on my test PC and I hate it! :wall:
WTH was MS thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I can't find anything.
I don't know how to do anything.
And, it's UGLY!
I can not understand why they would not offer a choice of 2 user interfaces; the new one for touch screens and the old one for desktops.

That's not good to hear Peter, and supports what others have said :( it really seems that Win 8 is going to be a challenge for us.

So at this point can we confidently say that MS is not going to provide a useful "classic" option? Does anyone know?

PeterT
09-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Zap,
I am using the RTM version from Technet and I do not see any 'classic' option. If anyone knows if there is one, please tell me where it is because 'as is', this OS is useless to me.
And, it's UGLY!

ctal
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for providing your impressions, Peter. It's pretty much inconceivable to me why any business would want to "upgrade" to W8 from W7, or even XP or Vista, given the learning curve their employees would have to go through. Which leaves unwitting consumers who need to buy a new computer as the main group of likely purchasers.

If I owned any Microsoft stock, I would be selling it forthwith.

Best regards,
-- Al

Dunstan103
09-25-2012, 04:56 AM
I also agree with you peter. its really ugly OS.

SpeedDMN
09-25-2012, 11:20 AM
It boggles the mind doesn't it?! The only thing I can think of is this is what they want us to have. Like it or not they are shoving it down our throats. I mean any poll they would have conducted would have had to show the negative reception! I have yet to hear of one single person saying they like this OS. I'm sure there will be some sort of third party patch that will make it more like Win7. I'm just hoping there is something better before support ends on Win7. Hopefully the public outcry will convince them that this was a really bad idea.

XJ.
09-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Basically, it only makes sense to use with a touch screen/monitor - which is dumb, because:

1) it's slim pickings ATM for decent touch screen monitors
2) business aren't going to buy all new screens for their employees.
3) We are all very used to keyboards and mice. People aren't going to want to take
their hands off to touch the monitor (especially touch typists).

Welcome to Vista 2.0...

SpeedDMN
09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
You know it goes beyond it just being made for a touch screen. Assuming a mouse click does the same thing as a touch gesture it still sucks. I still can't find anything or really navigate much beyond email and web. It's like all control over the OS was taken away or at least made very difficult to find. I hate it with a capital H! I always looked forward to M$'s new OS's. Even Vista which received a cool welcome. This one needs to hit the toilet!
Vista 2.0? Nooo this one is in a class of it's own. Vista was absolutely fabulous compared to this. I mean Win7 is pretty much Vista with a few tweaks.

steven
09-25-2012, 05:21 PM
That's exactly why i didn't install it, although i get it for free, as a computer science student. I think that after ms is done with experimenting, it will be freakin' awesome. Until then, Windows7 will suffice.

traveler
09-26-2012, 02:44 AM
I foresaw all this happening after XP was released. Check my doom forecast for windows thread once again.

:shades:

steven
09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I foresaw all this happening after XP was released. Check my doom forecast for windows thread once again.

Oh, mighty oracle, will it really be the end of the world in december?

Griff
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Just trying Win8 RTM out. Does not seem all that bad. Will take a some getting used to.

Posted from Win8.

fvbounty
09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
PeterT you are 100% right it is UGLY, I love my wallpapers I get from Digital Blasphemy for two screens, why in the hell would I put that start screen on my rig, I get W8 from Technet and I won't waste my time! Here's the link to D B.

Digital Blasphemy 3D Wallpaper: Updates (http://digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml)

MadCow333
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I tried the consumer preview on a laptop for a couple of months and really tried to like Win8. It's just a dawg, though. I gave up and installed Classic Shell on it, so that I could find things again, and get something done. That laptop is going back to Windows 7, for sure. Even $10 is too much money to pay for a Win8 upgrade. LoL Welcome to Classic Shell
(http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) Classic Shell will beat Win8 into submission. :lol:

There's supposed to be some way to change the colors, in the real Win8.

steven
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
PeterT you are 100% right it is UGLY, I love my wallpapers I get from Digital Blasphemy for two screens, why in the hell would I put that start screen on my rig, I get W8 from Technet and I won't waste my time! Here's the link to D B.

Digital Blasphemy 3D Wallpaper: Updates (http://digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml)

Thank you for the link. I just got a new machine for work, and it really serves me well.

PeterT
10-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I tried the consumer preview on a laptop for a couple of months and really tried to like Win8. It's just a dawg, though. I gave up and installed Classic Shell on it, so that I could find things again, and get something done. That laptop is going back to Windows 7, for sure. Even $10 is too much money to pay for a Win8 upgrade. LoL Welcome to Classic Shell
(http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) Classic Shell will beat Win8 into submission. :lol:

There's supposed to be some way to change the colors, in the real Win8.
Thanks for the link MadCow333. That looks like a good option to make Win 8 usable; however I should not have to hack a MS OS to make it usable on a desktop PC. :wall:

johnrr6
10-02-2012, 09:12 PM
There is no "Classic Option" and there will not be a Classic Option.....

In fact....as the different betas went out....Microsoft was furiously yanking out any code that was allowing users an easy way back to the Start Menu and a classic look.

A hack that worked in one Beta was broken in the next......

And I agree totally......

Why on earth should I have to hack a new product that has been under development for YEARS....

Just so I can approach with decent success.....a level of productivity I enjoyed on the OLD product.

Maybe there is going to be a huge Marketing Blitz....but don't you think it kind of eerie and odd that virtually NO ONE is talking about or advertising Win 8.

No pre marketing blitz....no TV commercials....no hype.

Even the MS shill Tech sites are strangely quiet.....

It's like MS now realizes what a bomb this will be and is trying to slip it out the door quietly.

My take....this is going to go down as one of the biggest disasters in the PC World. It will make "Hate Vista" look like a love fest.

Sadly....I think it will hasten the move to mobile and the ultimate downslide of the PC.

I'm an easy going person.....and I tried HARD TWICE to like this product and see it as visionary.

Epic Fail

Nobody will buy it unless it's forced down their throat with new PC buys or thier company has a fit of insanity and "upgrades"....

In today's world....just who has the time to lose productivity AND work hard at relearning how to do even basic stuff.

It's gonna be bad folks......really bad....

Third Quarter after release-----Lowest sales figures in the history of MS
People fired at MS by 4th fiscal Quarter after release
Windows 9 announced after a year or 18 months.....after huge shakeups at MS

And this is all so unnecessary....and could be avoided entirely. Just give BOTH desktops.....classic and Metro as a choice----with enough new features that businesses, schools, and the government would WANT to upgrade----and the classic Desktop allows them to do so safely. without loss of productivity and within a 17 year user experience comfort zone.

I just don't get it:confused:

PeterT
10-03-2012, 07:08 AM
...I just don't get it:confused:
Nor do I.
It seems so obvious. :look:

fvbounty
10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Nor do I.
It seems so obvious. :look:

Me too.:wave::thumb::<

GWillakers
10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
There is no "Classic Option" and there will not be a Classic Option.....

And this is all so unnecessary....and could be avoided entirely. Just give BOTH desktops.....classic and Metro as a choice----

I just don't get it:confused:

You are right. It should be easy to just ship Win 7 with Win 8 in the same box. With one Product Key.
No one would be able to critisize MS, as they would be obviously be giving the user "more".

This seems strange, in that the desktop or "front end interface", what the user sees, is only a very small part of the code that executes.

Remember PC's were initially used as GUI front ends to old Mainframe systems in the business world.

I guarantee you, they are still front ending these old IBM CICS systems for banks, insurance companies, Credit card transactions, and Department store registers.

IBM's underlying code for CICS (Customer Information Control System) was written back in 1969. Twelve years before the prototype IBM PC came out.

And in 1981, IBM was the first to call it the "personal computer" (PC), every one else was calling it a "micro computer"

Apple's microcomputer, Tandy Radio shacks microcomputer....

polonyc2
10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
after installing the Release Preview (build 8400) and using it for a few weeks my opinion is that it's not bad...I still prefer Windows 7 overall but once you get used to the layout and interface you learn to appreciate it...it's excellent under the hood and is definitely no Vista...but it will be a tough sell for MS to convince people to upgrade

the new Metro interface is totally useless unless you have a tablet PC but the traditional Desktop is still just a mouse click away...the removal of the Start Menu is the most jarring new feature which will be what most people complain about but honestly the Charms bar works in the same way once you get used to it...swiping the mouse to the right still feels weird to me but I imagine it will get easier with time...the Control Panel and a pseudo Start Menu are still available under the new Charms Bar

I also like the fact that Flash and DirectX are now incorporated into the OS itself

my prediction: I think by SP2 Microsoft will give users a way to enable the traditional Start Menu

overall I don't love Windows 8 but it's getting a bad rap by users who aren't willing to invest a little time with the new OS to learn it...I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being but I might get the itch to 'upgrade' when it's officially released later this month

fvbounty
10-08-2012, 07:19 AM
The PC stands for personal computer and that's what we all like, you can make it look just the way your like, but with Metro I guess you can change the background color but your desktop and mine are going to be the same a bunch of blocks sitting on a colored background....LOL

PeterT
10-08-2012, 07:38 AM
...it's excellent under the hood and is definitely no Vista...but it will be a tough sell for MS to convince people to upgrade

the new Metro interface is totally useless unless you have a tablet PC...
my prediction: I think by SP2 Microsoft will give users a way to enable the traditional Start Menu...
Hi polonyc2, good to see you posting again.
I agree with both of these points that you made. Under the UI, it seems to be a nice OS; however the UI is useless on a desktop PC.
But, I would go one step further regarding the UI. It is not only useless on a desktop PC, it is frustrating and counter-productive.
My dislike for the OS is not based on the underlying OS, but on the UI. This could have been easily avoided by providing 2 UIs; one for touch screen devices and one for desktop PCs. As Apple has done. MS seems to be desperately trying to copy and catch up with Apple in the touch-screen space, but failed to learn an important lesson from them: Don't abandon your base of desktop work station users while chasing after touch screen users. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.
I shouldn't have to 'try' to like an OS. If I do, there's something wrong with it. I didn't have to 'try' to like Windows 7.
I have spent some 'trying' to like Windows 8, but I still hate it.

WolfSoul
10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
And this is the server version..
Windows Server 2012 is Now Available (http://www.windowsvalley.com/windows-server-2012/)

About direct x.. that was always included except for direct x 9c which wasn't installed with Vista and 7

Griff
10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
after installing the Release Preview (build 8400) and using it for a few weeks my opinion is that it's not bad...I still prefer Windows 7 overall but once you get used to the layout and interface you learn to appreciate it...it's excellent under the hood and is definitely no Vista...but it will be a tough sell for MS to convince people to upgrade

the new Metro interface is totally useless unless you have a tablet PC but the traditional Desktop is still just a mouse click away...the removal of the Start Menu is the most jarring new feature which will be what most people complain about but honestly the Charms bar works in the same way once you get used to it...swiping the mouse to the right still feels weird to me but I imagine it will get easier with time...the Control Panel and a pseudo Start Menu are still available under the new Charms Bar

I also like the fact that Flash and DirectX are now incorporated into the OS itself

my prediction: I think by SP2 Microsoft will give users a way to enable the traditional Start Menu

overall I don't love Windows 8 but it's getting a bad rap by users who aren't willing to invest a little time with the new OS to learn it...I'm sticking with Windows 7 for the time being but I might get the itch to 'upgrade' when it's officially released later this month

I agree with the above post. I have been playing with the RTM version for awhile now and it is not all that bad. It takes some learning. I also installed this Welcome to Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) to get a somewhat Classic desktop and interface.

polonyc2
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
This could have been easily avoided by providing 2 UIs; one for touch screen devices and one for desktop PCs

I think MS chose not to do this as it would be counterproductive...MS wants people to use the new Metro interface and the only way to do that is to force people to use it...by giving people a choice many would simply revert back to the previous UI...the Desktop is still only 1 mouse click away and it's not too big of a deal for me...there are plenty of tweaks available to get Windows 8 looking and feeling the way I like...the Metro interface can be tweaked to add/remove programs just like the former Start Menu

I think MS is expecting more software manufacturer's to get onboard the whole 'app' train...therefore they want users to get comfortable with the new layout...I hear Steam and others are working on new apps for Windows 8...honestly I still don't see the point for non tablet users and if given a choice would still probably bypass the app interface...unless it offers new functionality or ease of use I don't see any reason to use it

I have been playing with the RTM version for awhile now and it is not all that bad. It takes some learning. I also installed this Welcome to Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/) to get a somewhat Classic desktop and interface.

I agree...it just takes some getting used to...plus like you linked to there are alternative skins available to get Windows 8 looking more like Windows 7 with the traditional Start Menu etc

johnrr6
10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Poly----good to hear from you!

Guys.....are we listening to ourselves......

If all we are saying about Win 8 is:

it's not that bad"
"it's getting a bad rap"
"I really don't like it that much"
"I am more efficient with Windows 7"

AND it has the sharpest and longest learning curve of ANY previous version of Windows in history....BY FAR

And ALL OF US have resorted to 3rd Party hacks to get it to work for us even semi efficiently......

AND we are ENTHUSIASTS making these comments.....hard core users...not your common user.

Let's face it......The product is doomed.

Pity the poor Mr. and Mrs. Joe Sazbo.......who don't give a hoot about computers----they just want them to work and now 17 years of user experience is out the Window. (No Pun Intended)

Pity the poor business who's IT department shoves Win 8 down their throat (Well---I guess I'd pity the head of IT for being so stupid as he will certainly be fired after the loss of productivity in the business.)

Apple takes a revolutionary product and makes it better evolutionay.
Microsoft takes an excellent evolutionary product and tries to go revolutionary....with a difficult learning curve.

Apple gives users an easy to learn, revolutionary tablet for $500 (maybe $250 if the iPad mini rumours are true)
Microsoft gives users a tablet with an untried interface for $1000

You be the judge.....

Bottom Line:

Apple makes it easy for Mr. and Mrs. Sazbo.....Microsoft doesn't, it's that simple.

Doomed I tell you.....doomed....:ahhhhh:LOL

And so easy to fix-----and soooo unnecessary......

JimTram
10-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Win8 does not have the PC user in mind. With Tablets and Smartphones dominating, MS is thinking of the future. I see an increased use of tablets in business and that is not going away.

Similar situation: I still use a BlackBerry with a physical KB that permits me to do everything with one hand. No swipes/fingerprints required!

Myself, I am not going to Win8 anytime soon.

polonyc2
10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm probably going to continue using the 64-bit Release Preview on a separate 'test' drive until it expires on January 15th...then I'll decide if I want to purchase and install it on my 2 main hard drives...right now I'm leaning towards keeping Windows 7

fvbounty
10-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Check out this video with Chris Pirillo a true windows guy, get ready for a laugh!

What do people think of Windows 8? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cor-lvXsgx0)

XJ.
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I think I may try the last preview release on a spare computer. I hate dual booting and running in a VM I can't test my favorite games. I'll try the classic shell and maybe find I like it a bit better. I think Win8 will be here to stay, sadly, though perhaps Windows 9 (or whatever) will provide an option for a classic Aero desktop or the interface formerly know as Metro (for those who have bought touch screen monitors). Nothing is going to change on tablets and Windows Phone.

Personally, I think I'm likely to stay with Win7 - I'm just waiting for SP2 to finally come out and wrap up all those updates so I can do a clean install again.

Sandog
10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Glad I missed it.

chuckbam
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I think it is more for a tablet or a notebook with a tablet looking interface. Not a power computer.

PeterT
10-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I think it is more for a tablet or a notebook with a tablet looking interface. Not a power computer.
Exactly.

Griff
10-27-2012, 03:08 PM
This link makes it like Win7.

Scroll down to the Download link.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...-for-Windows-8 (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8)

A newer version here.

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_betathree.zip

WolfSoul
10-27-2012, 05:48 PM
If you have to use tricks to make it look like 7.. wouldn't you be better off actually using 7?

PeterT
10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
This link makes it like Win7.

Scroll down to the Download link.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...-for-Windows-8 (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8)

A newer version here.

http://www.startisback.com/StartIsBack_betathree.zip
Thanks for the links Griff.
The way this guy says he designed "Start is Back" is how MS should have done it in the first place, i.e. give the user the choice of a touchscreen or desktop UI.
Start Is Back - beta 3 - MSFN Forum (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back/)

fvbounty
10-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the links Griff.
The way this guy says he designed "Start is Back" is how MS should have done it in the first place, i.e. give the user the choice of a touchscreen or desktop UI.
Start Is Back - beta 3 - MSFN Forum (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back/)

Thanks for the link, still has some problems but he's going in the right direction!:beer:

JimTram
10-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I wonder how Win8 is really selling?

Griff
10-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I wonder how Win8 is really selling?

Have not heard how it is selling but imagine people are not flocking to the stores to buy it.

JimTram
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Yep, no midnight sales I heard of. :lol:

Poll: Scant demand for Microsoft's Windows 8 - CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/49588088)

Have not heard how it is selling but imagine people are not flocking to the stores to buy it.

JimTram
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Microsoft sells four million copies...

Microsoft sells four million copies of Windows 8 in four days, but it shouldve sold a lot more | ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/139175-microsoft-sells-four-million-windows-8-copies-in-four-days-but-it-shouldve-sold-a-lot-more)

fvbounty
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Well its more than I thought!

Griff
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Microsoft sells four million copies

I wonder if that includes pre ordered copies. :<

JimTram
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I bet it includes everything they could think of. :rolleyes:

I wonder if that includes pre ordered copies. :<

WolfSoul
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Ballmer is an idiot...

fcbsglobal
12-16-2012, 01:02 AM
OMG, Really? Is Windows 8 really that bad? I don't get it, I was about to upgrade it on my windows 7 laptop. :( Should I go for it or not?

chuckbam
12-16-2012, 01:36 AM
OMG, Really? Is Windows 8 really that bad? I don't get it, I was about to upgrade it on my windows 7 laptop. :( Should I go for it or not?

Have a touch screen?

traveler
12-16-2012, 05:09 PM

No.

The purpose of win8 is to take money away from you and put it in the M$ bank account ...

unless ...

you have touch screen hardware.

MicroSoft likes to pretend that every new windows is a tremendous necessary thing to have when in reality it is not.

Seems win8 was designed for cell phones with a touch screen ... in that case the phone would already have it installed.

XJ.
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Have a touch screen?

Exactly, otherwise it is a bit of a nightmare. It's probably great for tablets and it seems as though MS is getting the message that it's terribly inefficient for most desktop users, especially when it comes to content creation and system management.

chuckbam
12-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I read that MS will be putting out a new version of Windows every year now.

XJ.
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
I read that MS will be putting out a new version of Windows every year now.

I heard that too, kind of like Apple does.

johnrr6
12-19-2012, 07:39 AM
The big question for me....and probably a zillion others to include business, schools, Govt., etc.....

Is when will they move to Win8 SP1 or Windows 8 Plus....or whatever they want to call it.....

Which WILL allow a Win 7 type of "Classic Mode" in addition to the brand spanking new "Metro" interface.

......so the vast majority of the world will have NO qualms about moving to their new product.

I guess the bigger question is IF Microsoft will make that decision.

I hate to say it....but this is a critical point in PC history. Will it hang on for a while longer and continue to evolve......or will Microsoft's recklessness push it's demise faster and the vast majority of users simply dump their PCs for mobile devices.

I talked to a salesman in BestBuy the other day. He told me NO ONE was buying PCs during the Xmas Season which was normally a brisk selling time. His biggest request from potential buyers is: "I don't want Win 8 on the this laptop....can you put Win 7 on it?" When he says he can't....folks just shrug and go and look at iPads or Android Tablets.

He told me he has not had a day at the store when they have sold a Windows Mobile Phone.....

There is a reason why Sinofsky left Microsoft folks......

Interesting times....historical......

PeterT
12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
John,
I have personally experienced this. My brother recently asked me to recommend a new laptop for him (desktop replacement), which would meet all his needs for the foreseeable future.
He trusted me completely to make the choice for him. His only request: "Find one that has Win 7 on it, because I don't want Win 8."
This was my recommendation:
Amazon.com: Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S03US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Silver): Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418Du0TPbML.@@AMEPARAM@@418Du0TPbML

fvbounty
12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
John,
I have personally experienced this. My brother recently asked me to recommend a new laptop for him (desktop replacement), which would meet all his needs for the foreseeable future.
He trusted me completely to make the choice for him. His only request: "Find one that has Win 7 on it, because I don't want Win 8."
This was my recommendation:
Amazon.com: Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5C-S03US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Silver): Computers & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP700Z5C-S03US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0083S3P6M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1355939338&sr=8-7&keywords=samsung+series+7)

Now that's a nice laptop!:yes:

Sandog
12-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I just suggested/ordered a laptop for my program manager, Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad T530. Awesome laptop and very durable. Samsung is a good brand as well, I have 3 Sammy TV's.

XJ.
12-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I just suggested/ordered a laptop for my program manager, Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad T530. Awesome laptop and very durable. Samsung is a good brand as well, I have 3 Sammy TV's.

I like Thinkpads, usually have a nice solid feel, not flimsy like my last Toshiba.

chuckbam
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
I just added a Intel X25-M to this old Acer Core 2 Duo and it came back to
life. Other than replacing the keyboard a 1/2 doz times, it is old reliable ;)

It is a big hit at the local hot-spot

http://chuckbam.com/i7_P6T-D/-SC00255.JPG

ChAsM
12-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm late to this party, but as much as I want to, I can't seem to hate Windows 8. I have been running the public preview version for quite a while...

For starters, it's quick - really quick. It runs fast and well, even on minimal hardware. While running, check out the new (very nice) task manager and how much memory is being used. Much better.

I too miss the start menu, but like anything new there's a learning curve. As others have said, it's (experimentally) "tweaked" for touch-devices. Microsoft is trying to eliminate the learning curve for its hand-held devices and to standardize an acceptable interface for both. It's quite clever, really.

Honestly, I really like Windows 7 - a lot. However, to say Windows 8 is anything like Vista is (IMHO) an injustice. Win 8 is certainly unusual, but after using it as intended some of its subtle nuances start to show. And the speed...how can you folks overlook the speed?

My unsolicited $0.02...

Anyway, hope y'all had a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

fvbounty
12-29-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm late to this party, but as much as I want to, I can't seem to hate Windows 8. I have been running the public preview version for quite a while...

For starters, it's quick - really quick. It runs fast and well, even on minimal hardware. While running, check out the new (very nice) task manager and how much memory is being used. Much better.

I too miss the start menu, but like anything new there's a learning curve. As others have said, it's (experimentally) "tweaked" for touch-devices. Microsoft is trying to eliminate the learning curve for its hand-held devices and to standardize an acceptable interface for both. It's quite clever, really.

Honestly, I really like Windows 7 - a lot. However, to say Windows 8 is anything like Vista is (IMHO) an injustice. Win 8 is certainly unusual, but after using it as intended some of its subtle nuances start to show. And the speed...how can you folks overlook the speed?

My unsolicited $0.02...

Anyway, hope y'all had a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and a happy new year. :yes:

johnrr6
12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well ChAsM!

There are "guts" to win 8 that are really nice....and you mentioned one.

And you have adapted to the new interface.....you be one smart cookie!

The challenge for MS is: .......just how many people/businesses/organizations will be willing to spend the time to learn the new interface.....put the time into it necessary.....and thus lose productivity while doing so.

I'd like to think I'm pretty good with Operating Systems.....heck, I've adapted VERY quicly to all new Windows operating systems...all took less than 3 days of heavy use....
Win 95
Win 98
Win 2000 (at work)
Win Millenium
Win XP
Win Vista
Win 7

And maybe it's just me......

But I have tried Win 8 TWICE....and the second time I told myself I WILL give this enough time and I WILL learn to like it and use it because hey....it IS Microsoft and it IS the future.....

And after a 10 day period the second time.....where I was FINALLY feeling like I could actually get some work done and do normal things I used to do....(albeit I was still WAY more effective using Win 7.....)

It hit me like a brick.

WHY should I need to struggle like this? For what reason?? Am I going to be "better off" in my daily life with this??

And the answer was just a flat NO!

And that is the conclusion I think that the MS gravy train folks......the "cash cows" for Microsoft: (Business, Industry, Education, Government)....will all make.

Too hard...too radical....we will lose time and productivity.

And as for the consumer market......if a person wants a "Tablet Interface".....they go buy an Apple or an Android tablet....or a Kindle.

I was struck by the fact that I learned to use an iPhone....in all of about an hour.
And because I could use an iPhone....the iPad had zero learning curve.

And I understand MS's goal of trying to standardize on all types of devices....and move towards where the world is heading......MOBILE!

But........even Apple....the king of mobile right now, DOES NOT force it's PC users to start totally from scratch....with a radically new interface that requires a large learning curve.

They instead keep refining their existing OS....the ones folks are comfortable with.....and at the same time give it added value with the option of using the Launchpad and thus bringing the traditional Mac user closer to the iOS operating experience.

There is no risk of losing business/produtivity/customers with this strategy....

And this is where MS has gone astray.....

They don't offer an option for existing customers....no "classic" mode. A user is FORCED to take a risk....on something radically different.

The sales figures for Win 8 that are starting to emerge are dismal....
PC sales over the holiday period were/are at an all time low......
The Surface Tablet has not swept the world with enthusiasim....to say the least...(BTW....the WORST TV commercials in history for a new device.....I'm supposed to want to buy this because a keyboard snaps on???)
Windows Phone sales figures are a total joke.....
I was at a meeting where my school system....the 37th largest in America was discussing our future....Win 8 came up and the room got silent...our CIO...a dyed in the wool MS FanBoy if there ever was one.....simply said "you must be joking"....and we moved on to other matters like how we were going to shift our organization from PC based to more mobile....

Now....just imagine how different this scenario would be if MS took Apple's approach...
And took all those wonderful new "guts" to Win 8....and offered the shiny new Metro Interface as WELL as a classic option.....

Now no risk....and sales figures and PC use would be fine....

As it is....Win 8 will be HISTORIC......it will hasten the death of desktop based PC/Mouse. Because....not enough folks will buy into the new learning curve...when other alternaties exist that are so much easier.

And that...in a nutshell is why I HATE Window 8! LOL

Kinda weird isn't it...as I was typing this I got a phone call from a friend who is a second grade teacher......basically begging me to come over to her house and load Windows 7 on a brand new laptop the family got for Christmas.....that no-one in her family can figure out or get any use out of it.....BIG expense to her on a teacher's budget....huge dissapointment. She said the laptop is useless to her family right now.

I can barely get teachers and administrators to function and be productive within Win 7....and that same Windows Interface has basically been around for 17 years albeit in different shades...but still basically the same....start menu etc...

I shudder to think what my personnel would do if we were all forced to move to Win 8....

And basically EVERY CIO in the world is thinking those same shuddering thoughts as I do.....

Sorry for the "Tome" and if you have something that works well for you....stick with it till you find something better!!

That's what I am going to do....

John

fvbounty
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Very well said has usual John, I agree with all the points you made!:tiphat:

traveler
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
John !!!!!!!

You finally got it !!!!!!! :thumb:

The current day M$ does not care about the customer ... only the Dollar. :clap:

johnrr6
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
John !!!!!!!

And in so doing....their arrogance will end a 17 year reign of total dominance in the PC Tech arena....

and actually hasten the PC's demise.....

Historical.....epic bad decision....

The kind that changes the course of a company.

They can still recover from this...by adding back a "Classic Mode" as an option....Maybe Windows 8 Plus or Service Pack 1....

But they had better do it soon.....otherwise the closing window on PC opportunity will have closed for good....and most folks will have tablets.....

And they WON'T be Microsoft tablets.....

ChAsM
12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
johnrr6, you make some good, valid points. And, I do agree, that as a "business" OS, Windows 8 is less than stellar. However, as a consumer, non-techie OS, I think Windows 8 is on the right track.

First of all, I want to start out by saying I'm 42 years old... That said, as an IS person, I can see how the cartoonish nature of Windows 8 is somewhat annoying. Its interface certainly isn't conducive to real "work". Its interface layout is actually counter-productive to a system tester or programmer. I honestly feel that it's just meant to make computing --- simpler; at least for those not wanting computing to require "know-how". (...insert compete with Apple...)

In all honesty, there really should be a "back door" method for simplifying the interface. However, Windows 7 is still a very good and viable OS, especially for business or IT/IS people. Windows 8 doesn't change that fact and I'm not certain its meant to. I just think for touch devices, as well as entertainment systems (my wife loves it for this purpose, by the way), Windows 8 is actually quite nice. The "apps" concept (expanded upon from Windows 7) is also quite nice, as far as its simplicity.

In other words, unlike Windows Vista (total crap, IMHO), Windows 8 does have its purposes. Although, for work (development, etc.) I'll be the first to say I'm not leaving Windows 7 for Windows 8.

ChAsM
12-31-2012, 03:50 PM
John !!!!!!!

How's it going, traveler!

In all honesty, all business are about the almighty dollar. The IT sector always has, and will be, a fierce market. Microsoft was once a company that thought the Internet (a la Bill Gates) was a dead end that had no future. Apple is innovating and Microsoft is attempting to stay within striking distance. I think it's necessary for their survival. Unfortunately, it's not the IT people that dictate the market. It's the Paris Hilton wannabe's that decide what is hip. And, yes, this type of person exists not only as a consumer, but in the corporate world, as well. You must strive hard to appeal to this type of person to gain market acceptance...

I'm sorry, folks, I'm rambling. I miss the fine folks here at abxzone. I do wish everyone here a safe, happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

fvbounty
12-31-2012, 04:26 PM
How's it going, traveler!

In all honesty, all business are about the almighty dollar. The IT sector always has, and will be, a fierce market. Microsoft was once a company that thought the Internet (a la Bill Gates) was a dead end that had no future. Apple is innovating and Microsoft is attempting to stay within striking distance. I think it's necessary for their survival. Unfortunately, it's not the IT people that dictate the market. It's the Paris Hilton wannabe's that decide what is hip. And, yes, this type of person exists not only as a consumer, but in the corporate world, as well. You must strive hard to appeal to this type of person to gain market acceptance...

I'm sorry, folks, I'm rambling. I miss the fine folks here at abxzone. I do wish everyone here a safe, happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

There always a few of old folks still around to shoot the bull with...and have a Happy New Year to you and yours!:yes:

sammy2066
01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Some really good points in this thread. I recently saw a video, which made very good arguments as to why the the dichotomous new UI leaves the user with absolutely no semblance of context, which makes it inevitably hard to get things done in a productive manner on Windows 8.

Let's take the Metro screen for example. By default, the user has no idea of whether the machine is connected to the internet (no information about the network/connectivity status), simple things such as the date and time, which one would expect to be omnipresent are missing. There is no easy access to basic information and settings. These need to be accessed via awkward mechanisms such as the charms bar.

Moving onto the charms bar, has anyone thought why the charms bar exists, or why it needs to be accessed in the way it currently is, or why it even has the buttons it currently does? Why force a share button on users when they are on the desktop? What the hell are they going to share? At least make is context aware, or let users customize it to their liking.

I understand MS's big push on gesture-based interactions throughout the OS. OS X has had this since 10.4 (Tiger). But the fundamental difference is that Apple doesn't force you to use gestures and hot corners. Users have complete autonomy to customize gestures and hot corners per their preferences. There's no way to change the default gestures and hot corners in Windows 8.

Once we are inside an app, simple navigation is an extremely difficult task to accomplish. Most metro apps are full screen, with large fonts and tiles which are a spectacular waste of space. Moreover, the user is again left without any clue as to how to close an app or return to the desktop. Even if you somehow manage to get back tot he desktop, you are again left without context, as you don't know if the app is closed or still running, or paused.

Sure, moving the cursor to the top left corner displays all the running apps, but there's no way to close apps from that list. This cannot be accomplished from the metro desktop either. Right clicking on an app gets you an option to uninstall it and some other options on a gaudy bar that appears at the bottom of the screen. Of course when you do uninstall it, the tile disappears, but gives the user no notification of its completion. Again, severe lack of context.

While staring at the metro desktop, the user has no way to get an overview of which app is running and which is not. They're all tiles and they all look the same.

Also while looking at the Metro desktop, what am I to assume? Are these all the applications I have installed? Do classic windows apps also show up here? If classic windows app show up in the metro interface, then can you have a shortcut to a metro app in the classic windows taskbar? Questions like these severely affect the W8 learning curve negatively.

The classic desktop is an entirely different nightmare. Its like presenting someone with a car; everything is there, but we've decided to do away with the steering wheel.You can still drive the car, but you have to control the car via a d-pad on the right side of the driver's seat. WHY?? So utterly unnecessary. It only makes it harder for users to accomplish stuff and get work done.

Right clicking the task bar gives you a lot of the same options one used to get to via the start menu. Needless to say, this doesn't serve any practical purpose, and neither does it induce any efficiency in work flow. All it does is completely fluster the user with a similar interface, but with one key element (i.e. the start button) missing.

I don't know about you guys, but I like change that is completely overwhelming, rather than a change which leads be to believe not much has changed, when in fact a lot has changed. MS should have either a) completely done away with the classic desktop; or b) completely redesigned the classic desktop, leaving no UI elements which could lull the user into believing that this is a familiar interface -- those options are still easier to grasp than the mind*uck that is the classic desktop without the start button.

All that Windows 8 is going to be successful in doing is to alienate a dedicated user base that has been accustomed to doing things in a certain way by completely bowling them over with an interface that is new and does not have any material benefits over what its replacing.

I can't even begin to imagine the chain of decisions that ultimately culminated in such a flawed product (one which billions of people rely on a day to day basis) to be released to the public. Absolutely unbelievable. Thanks for listening to my rant.

sammy2066
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Watch this video as well: Windows 8: Its Almost Not Terrible - YouTube

fvbounty
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Exactly, I will never go to eight, I don't want my computer to look like everyone else's, that why I decided to build my own to get exactly what I want not what MS wants. Just try doing something on 8 and count the clicks then do it on 7 and see the difference, and if you can't remember hot keys with 8 good luck using it!

PeterT
01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Some really good points in this thread. I recently saw a video, which made very good arguments as to why the the dichotomous new UI leaves the user with absolutely no semblance of context, which makes it inevitably hard to get things done in a productive manner on Windows 8.

Let's take the Metro screen for example. By default, the user has no idea of whether the machine is connected to the internet (no information about the network/connectivity status), simple things such as the date and time, which one would expect to be omnipresent are missing. There is no easy access to basic information and settings. These need to be accessed via awkward mechanisms such as the charms bar.

Moving onto the charms bar, has anyone thought why the charms bar exists, or why it needs to be accessed in the way it currently is, or why it even has the buttons it currently does? Why force a share button on users when they are on the desktop? What the hell are they going to share? At least make is context aware, or let users customize it to their liking.

I understand MS's big push on gesture-based interactions throughout the OS. OS X has had this since 10.4 (Tiger). But the fundamental difference is that Apple doesn't force you to use gestures and hot corners. Users have complete autonomy to customize gestures and hot corners per their preferences. There's no way to change the default gestures and hot corners in Windows 8.

Once we are inside an app, simple navigation is an extremely difficult task to accomplish. Most metro apps are full screen, with large fonts and tiles which are a spectacular waste of space. Moreover, the user is again left without any clue as to how to close an app or return to the desktop. Even if you somehow manage to get back tot he desktop, you are again left without context, as you don't know if the app is closed or still running, or paused.

Sure, moving the cursor to the top left corner displays all the running apps, but there's no way to close apps from that list. This cannot be accomplished from the metro desktop either. Right clicking on an app gets you an option to uninstall it and some other options on a gaudy bar that appears at the bottom of the screen. Of course when you do uninstall it, the tile disappears, but gives the user no notification of its completion. Again, severe lack of context.

While staring at the metro desktop, the user has no way to get an overview of which app is running and which is not. They're all tiles and they all look the same.

Also while looking at the Metro desktop, what am I to assume? Are these all the applications I have installed? Do classic windows apps also show up here? If classic windows app show up in the metro interface, then can you have a shortcut to a metro app in the classic windows taskbar? Questions like these severely affect the W8 learning curve negatively.

The classic desktop is an entirely different nightmare. Its like presenting someone with a car; everything is there, but we've decided to do away with the steering wheel.You can still drive the car, but you have to control the car via a d-pad on the right side of the driver's seat. WHY?? So utterly unnecessary. It only makes it harder for users to accomplish stuff and get work done.

Right clicking the task bar gives you a lot of the same options one used to get to via the start menu. Needless to say, this doesn't serve any practical purpose, and neither does it induce any efficiency in work flow. All it does is completely fluster the user with a similar interface, but with one key element (i.e. the start button) missing.

I don't know about you guys, but I like change that is completely overwhelming, rather than a change which leads be to believe not much has changed, when in fact a lot has changed. MS should have either a) completely done away with the classic desktop; or b) completely redesigned the classic desktop, leaving no UI elements which could lull the user into believing that this is a familiar interface -- those options are still easier to grasp than the mind*uck that is the classic desktop without the start button.

All that Windows 8 is going to be successful in doing is to alienate a dedicated user base that has been accustomed to doing things in a certain way by completely bowling them over with an interface that is new and does not have any material benefits over what its replacing.

I can't even begin to imagine the chain of decisions that ultimately culminated in such a flawed product (one which billions of people rely on a day to day basis) to be released to the public. Absolutely unbelievable. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Well said, Sammy. :tiphat:

GWillakers
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Ok,

Gonna try out Windows 8.

Why? Well I was running Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate on my two machines. (Son has Win 7).

Since I had SSD's, I wanted the Native trim support from the Operating system. I didn't want to pay 150$ for an upgrade to 7 or 200$ for a full version of Win 7.

So for $49.99 I got the upgrade to Win 8 Pro at Best Buy.
(Found out later could have gotten it for $39.99 from MicroSoft direct.

I hated Win 8 the first day.
Went to Library got a very basic book on Win 8.
Hate it not so much now. But need to fiddle more.

Will update you all later.

Griff
01-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Ok,

Gonna try out Windows 8.

Why? Well I was running Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate on my two machines. (Son has Win 7).

Since I had SSD's, I wanted the Native trim support from the Operating system. I didn't want to pay 150$ for an upgrade to 7 or 200$ for a full version of Win 7.

So for $49.99 I got the upgrade to Win 8 Pro at Best Buy.
(Found out later could have gotten it for $39.99 from MicroSoft direct.

I hated Win 8 the first day.
Went to Library got a very basic book on Win 8.
Hate it not so much now. But need to fiddle more.

Will update you all later.

It is not so bad after you use it for a couple of weeks. It seems faster then Win7. There are lots of Windows key shortcuts that are nice. Also if you want there is the Start Menu download programs that give you the Win7 Menu and desktop. :<

fvbounty
01-12-2013, 11:57 AM
It is not so bad after you use it for a couple of weeks. It seems faster then Win7. There are lots of Windows key shortcuts that are nice. Also if you want there is the Start Menu download programs that give you the Win7 Menu and desktop. :<

I would like to know what you can do with W8 that you can't do on W7...without taking 2 weeks to figure out how to use it doing the same thing that your doing on W7...just doesn't make since to me?????????????

JimTram
01-12-2013, 01:12 PM
I feel the same way. Have not really read one good thing about it. It's a dud!

fvbounty
01-12-2013, 01:21 PM
i feel the same way. Have not really read one good thing about it. It's a dud!

a big dud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

JimTram
01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Would you try a ver. 8.1 if they put the start menu in?

a big dud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

fvbounty
01-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Would you try a ver. 8.1 if they put the start menu in?

Sure if I could get rid of Metro screen, the price is right at least!

PeterT
01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
If they offered the option of a classic desktop UI at install, it would probably be on all my machines already. :rolleyes:

JimTram
01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
The closest I came to Win8 was to try IE10 for Win7. Just like IE9 it would crash every couple of days. IE is great for downloading Chrome or FF. :lol:

Maybe that IE10 for 8 is better.

WolfSoul
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe MS is just counting on the mass' sheep attitude "hey it's a new windows so it has to be better and let's waste our money on it"

sammy2066
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Windows 8 violates some very basic UI norms, and unnecessarily forces new ways to accomplish similar tasks on users. Not cool.

PeterT
01-15-2013, 09:23 PM
...Not cool.
That says it all. :lol:

johnrr6
01-16-2013, 07:09 AM

What he said....LOL

I really don't want to load a thrd party hack that will break with every Windows Update......

Just to fix normal functionality that MS SHOULD have included in the first place....

It's never going to be adopted or sold widespread......

Having said that....it has some nice "guts"....memory management and speed for a couple.....

And If I could configure it to be a more familier interface.....

It would now be residing on every machine I own....and I imagine my school system would already be making plans to buy it....

That equates to.........SALES....

And that is not what they are getting....or will get......

And Gwillikers bought a book....I admire your dedication G.....maybe you can shed more light on this....

but here is the thing.....and it's kinda a BIG thing.....

How many other folks will "buy a book"....to learn the intricacies of this product......

When they can go buy an iPad....and be up and running and be fairly competent in all of.....oh about 15 minutes.......

Honestly....the only thing I use my PC for anymore is some financial stuff (less and less as APPs get better and better).....video editing.....and Gaming

Mostly gaming....PC Gaming is just FAR superior to ANY gaming experience!

And Valve is already developing a Linux based PC/Console/everything.....to link specifically with Steam to give users the "Ultimate" gaming experience.

Times....they are a changing.......

WolfSoul
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Well they ported IE10 and DX 11.1 into 7 so maybe they're smart enough to port back some of the good things into 7

fvbounty
01-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Well they ported IE10 and DX 11.1 into 7 so maybe they're smart enough to port back some of the good things into 7

I hope so!:<

sammy2066
01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
To be honest, I don't even like Windows 7, its too glossy and glassy. Windows XP is where Microsoft peaked, honestly.

fvbounty
01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
To be honest, I don't even like Windows 7, its too glossy and glassy. Windows XP is where Microsoft peaked, honestly.

I Love Windows 7, one big thing is drivers support with W7 compared to XP, most installs you don't need any other drivers than what W7 supply's (a few but not like XP), but that's why its a PC...lol:beer::tiphat:

SpeedDMN
01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I was in Staples the other day and noticed a sign that said something like "switchable to your familiar desktop" in reference to some laptops displaying Windows 8. I was in a super hurry and didn't have time to investigate. No doubt there will be "patches" to make it somewhat bearable. First time since I have been using windows, (3.1) that I have not upgraded to the latest OS. They have to know that everyone hates it, but for whatever reason, are still cramming it down our throats. It's like they want to dumb down user interface. They want home PC's to have the same or very similar experience as a cell phone. Win8 is actually pretty nice on a smartphone. Think I'll stick with Android though..

WolfSoul
02-03-2013, 01:01 AM
Microsoft | VG247 (http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/21/microsofts-xbox-brand-will-be-sold-to-someone-like-sony-failure-is-inevitable/)
Well some people are sure bout MS going off the edge
I for myself am not sure though if I would wanna be put before the choice of adapt to Linux or buy overexpensive Apple stuff... well I HAVE been considering Linux but I think it might still be rather complex for most users

Sandog
02-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Microsoft never had a lot of luck in the hardware building business except for mice and keyboards. They use to make great joysticks but that to disappeared after losing money. Windows/Office development probably costs MS too much money to with all the perks they give those Washingtonians. I sure would hate to see MS crumble, besides all the people not getting paid, Windows is the foundation of our desktop PC's.

fvbounty
02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Microsoft never had a lot of luck in the hardware building business except for mice and keyboards. They use to make great joysticks but that to disappeared after losing money. Windows/Office development probably costs MS too much money to with all the perks they give those Washingtonians. I sure would hate to see MS crumble, besides all the people not getting paid, Windows is the foundation of our desktop PC's.

I think the Xbox would be considered a success even that a lot of problems with the red ring of death...LOL

Sir Skully
02-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Yeah I have Microsoft's first optical mouse it still works fine...

chuckbam
02-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I love my Aero Glass desktop. I set it at 100% transparency with my own theme.
Windows 8 has less than 2.5% of the windows users. Win 7 is around 48%

WolfSoul
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM
They removed DDV playaback from Windows 8? Wow that's another sign they're messing up

chuckbam
03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
8 worst Windows 8 irritations

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013667/8-worst-windows-8-irritations-and-how-to-fix-them.html

chuckbam
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Watch this video as well: Windows 8: Its Almost Not Terrible - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw)

Informative tube!

Sandog
03-08-2013, 07:08 AM
My poor niece has Win8 on a laptop with no touch screen :rolleyes:

PeterT
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
My poor niece has Win8 on a laptop with no touch screen :rolleyes:
ouch.

XJ.
03-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I think I'll be a proud Win7 user till 2017 :whistler:

fvbounty
03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I think I'll be a proud Win7 user till 2017 :whistler:

Me TOO! :wave::<

Griff
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I have been working on my Win8 Start Screen.

fvbounty
03-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Looks like a Ipad...LOL....lots of icons!

Griff
03-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Looks like a Ipad...LOL....lots of icons!

Very similar.

fvbounty
03-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Very similar.

Are you getting used to it yet?

Griff
03-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Are you getting used to it yet?

Yes its not all that bad. I am going to group the icons into there own categories.

fvbounty
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes its not all that bad. I am going to group the icons into there own categories.

Does it do anything better than 7?

Griff
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Does it do anything better than 7?

Yes it boots quicker and it seems to load stuff up faster. I don't have that little startsisback program on it anymore so it will take a little more learning.

fvbounty
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Yes it boots quicker and it seems to load stuff up faster. I don't have that little startsisback program on it anymore so it will take a little more learning.

That might be your new rig, did you ever have 7 on your new one?

Griff
03-10-2013, 04:14 PM
That might be your new rig, did you ever have 7 on your new one?

Yes I put it on fisrt to see if there was a difference.

WolfSoul
03-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Quick lookup from the net...

Windows 8 adoption rate reportedly worse than Vista - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com (http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/windows-8-adoption-rate-reportedly-worse-vista-1C7800805)
Is Windows 8 Adoption Rate Really Trailing Vista's? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413621,00.asp)

GWillakers
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Actually Win 8 is very much like the other windows in that it does have a desktop.

Think about it you do 90% of your stuff with just a very few icons.

Desktop, Control Panel, CmD window, Browser, Admin Util, Folder Mgmt.

It does boot up nicely, but the thing I like best is that Folder Managment comes up instantaneously when I push in a USB stick. No 1 or 2 second wait.

It seems to me that it is getting a far worse beating than it deserves.

==============
Some of my notes:

Pros:
1. secure boot
2. Greater Memory address space
3. Native support for USB 3
4. Faster boot....what I saw opens explorer window for uSB key devices in a second
5. Vista to Win 8 .... trim support for ssds
6. Price $39.99(US) for full Retail Upgrade to Win 8 Pro
unlike $100 for upgrade to Win 7 or $200 for full blown version
7. drivers for some of the latest devices built in
8. Support for Win 8 will last longer than support for Win 7.
Think about it, paying $39.99 for an extra 2-3 years of technical support
really is reasonable.

9. Metro is a design language.
You may not like the tiled screen, but that is an end-product of the design language.
Windows 8 includes the functionality to support something developed with this language.
Windows 7 and below do not.
Microsoft or another programmer can design something with metro to replace that start
screen. (maybe SP1)

10. File Explorer also provides a built-in function for mounting ISO, IMG, and VHD files as virtual drives.

11. Internet Explorer 10 contains an integrated version of Flash player.

12. Hyper-V a native hypervisor

13 Storage spaces.
======================
Cons:
Missing start

Missing a very basic manual....even an e-version will do.

can't tailor certain desktop items .... like color of the window

Shutting down... several clicks to get there

Learning curve ....but most things function pretty much the same
if you ignore metro....desktop hasn't changed except start button
.... app to replace the start button.
... and if you don't want to used the app, setup a folder structure.
start button was always maintained as a folder anyway

Window store ....big money grab for Microsoft

I see them positioning themselves like Apple Itunes...
Windows Store will be the only means of distributing WinRT-based apps
for consumer-oriented versions of Windows 8.

Money is in the mobile devices...
Hey you guys are THE ENTHUSIASTS...

But ask yourself...how many PC's did you have in your house a few years ago, 2 maybe 3?
Desktop, Server, Laptop?

But look at how many mobile devices are out there. Mom Dad, Bro and Sis each have a phone.
Bro and Sis probably both have a IPOD for music. And now there are probably a couple a IPAD's to throw in to boot.

No wonder Apple took over as the Largest company.
They leveraged IPOD and Itunes

XJ.
03-15-2013, 07:00 AM
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27557&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1362945291

Ugh, worse than iOS! I think I'm going blind :rubeyes:

Let's hope Windows Blue takes the ugly out of Win8 :thumb:

WolfSoul
03-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Sorry to blow the bubble on this part but...
6. Price $39.99(US) for full Retail Upgrade to Win 8 Pro
unlike $100 for upgrade to Win 7 or $200 for full blown version
Not anymore it isn't..
Buy Windows 8 Pro - Microsoft Store Online (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/ThemeID.27509700/Windows-8-Pro/productID.266514600) The 40 bucks was a temporary action... so it's bout same price now

And the store thing.. no offense but that's another big win for Windows 7.. who's going to pay for applications at prices governed by M$ when you might be able to get them free or maybe a better pirce to work in Windows 7 (look at games mainly here... none of the big developer wants to take steps in supporting Win 8)
I still say microsoft is playing the card of "people are sheep and they will digest or worship what we greedy companies force down their throat"

And also.. Windows 8 seems somewhat to take the same path as Windows 7 did as follow up to vista "an OS marketed as new and sleek but it could have been just a service pack" which would haven't filled their pockets in the latter..

GWillakers
03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry to blow the bubble on this part but...

Not anymore it isn't..
Buy Windows 8 Pro - Microsoft Store Online (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/ThemeID.27509700/Windows-8-Pro/productID.266514600) The 40 bucks was a temporary action... so it's bout same price now

Yes the 39.99 was a temp price, but was available for quiet a few months

And the store thing.. no offense but that's another big win for Windows 7.. who's going to pay for applications at prices governed by M$ when you might be able to get them free or maybe a better pirce to work in Windows 7 (look at games mainly here... none of the big developer wants to take steps in supporting Win 8)
I still say microsoft is playing the card of "people are sheep and they will digest or worship what we greedy companies force down their throat"

And also.. Windows 8 seems somewhat to take the same path as Windows 7 did as follow up to vista "an OS marketed as new and sleek but it could have been just a service pack" which would haven't filled their pockets in the latter..

I fully agree with you here, Thats why I listed the store thing under "Cons"

I absolutely hate them trying to fence in the market.

And THIS I do see as the biggest Con, not the start button thing which is easily rectified.

WolfSoul
03-16-2013, 04:34 AM
The difficulty of finding a healthy balance between gaining profit and user friendliness / respect

zapionics<alt>
03-21-2013, 05:24 AM
...Some of my notes:

Pros:

9. Metro is a design language.
You may not like the tiled screen, but that is an end-product of the design language.
Windows 8 includes the functionality to support something developed with this language.
Windows 7 and below do not.
Microsoft or another programmer can design something with metro to replace that start
screen. (maybe SP1)

For me the issue is that Win 8's Metro is probably good enough as a tablet GUI, but what about the desktop users? Surely nobody believes that the tablet can completely replace the keyboard and a mouse, especially for office productivety tasks? Win 8 is a retrograde step for desktop use because it makes the interface less flexible to use.

All those other benefits you list could have been equally implemented alongside a classic desktop option, so they dont add up to a hill of beans to justify Win 8 without a desktop.
Its an epic fail and M$ needs to fix it before Win 7 is decommissioned, which I expect they shall do.

sammy2066
03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
For me the issue is that Win 8's Metro is probably good enough as a tablet GUI, but what about the desktop users? Surely nobody believes that the tablet can completely replace the keyboard and a mouse, especially for office productivety tasks? Win 8 is a retrograde step for desktop use because it makes the interface less flexible to use.

All those other benefits you list could have been equally implemented alongside a classic desktop option, so they dont add up to a hill of beans to justify Win 8 without a desktop.
Its an epic fail and M$ needs to fix it before Win 7 is decommissioned, which I expect they shall do.

Agreed, there's no reason to force the Metro UI on people using a desktop or laptop. The new hybrid laptops out there are a sign of forced adoption to this new UI dichotomy that MS has decided to force on users and manufacturers alike. There should be some level of intelligence built into the OS yeah?

Sure it takes time for users to acclimatize themselves to an entirely new UI, but then, the OS should enable the classic start menu for people using Win 8 on a desktop or a laptop. Maybe even include an option to toggle the classic start menu for the adventurous few. But keep it as an option, as opposed to forcing a completely alien UI on users.

Once you know a couple hundred million users have had a chance to feel at home with the new dichotomy, then go ahead and remove the classic start menu entirely. It makes no sense to force users to adopt a new UI and an awkward workflow by simply making an existing (perfectly functional) UI dysfunctional.

Who's with me?

PeterT
03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Agreed, there's no reason to force the Metro UI on people using a desktop or laptop. The new hybrid laptops out there are a sign of forced adoption to this new UI dichotomy that MS has decided to force on users and manufacturers alike. There should be some level of intelligence built into the OS yeah?

Sure it takes time for users to acclimatize themselves to an entirely new UI, but then, the OS should enable the classic start menu for people using Win 8 on a desktop or a laptop. Maybe even include an option to toggle the classic start menu for the adventurous few. But keep it as an option, as opposed to forcing a completely alien UI on users.

Once you know a couple hundred million users have had a chance to feel at home with the new dichotomy, then go ahead and remove the classic start menu entirely. It makes no sense to force users to adopt a new UI and an awkward workflow by simply making an existing (perfectly functional) UI dysfunctional.

Who's with me?
Me and a few million others, I'm sure.

GWillakers
03-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Haven't tried this yet, but will in an hour or so...

From Tom's Hardware site:

One of the more interesting bits of functionality hidden in Windows 8 is "God Mode," a hidden menu that allows power users access to a massive selection of administrative, maintenance, and troubleshooting utilities and features. To reveal God Mode, first bring up File Explorer and then click on the View tab. Make sure that "Hidden items" and "File name extensions" are both checked. Then, on your desktop, create a new folder, and change that folder's name to "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (omitting the quotes). The folder's icon should change. Doubleclick on it, and Explorer will present you with a ton of little system tools to tweak your machine.

Sir Skully
03-29-2013, 10:34 PM

One of the more interesting bits of functionality hidden in Windows 8 is "God Mode," a hidden menu that allows power users access to a massive selection of administrative, maintenance, and troubleshooting utilities and features. To reveal God Mode, first bring up File Explorer and then click on the View tab. Make sure that "Hidden items" and "File name extensions" are both checked. Then, on your desktop, create a new folder, and change that folder's name to "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (omitting the quotes). The folder's icon should change. Doubleclick on it, and Explorer will present you with a ton of little system tools to tweak your machine.

I've posted about the God Mode in this thread * Windows 7 God mode * awhile back. It should be the same in W-8. Yep its pretty
neat tool... :thumb:

Griff
03-29-2013, 10:40 PM
I've posted about the God Mode in this thread * Windows 7 God mode * awhile back. It should be the same in W-8. Yep its pretty
neat tool... :thumb:

Yes lots of options to choose from. I just had a quick look at it. Looks like some useful stuff there. :thumb: :<

WolfSoul
03-30-2013, 05:34 AM
That was probably in every Windows

XJ.
03-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Now that feature is useful on Win7, but would be an enormous help in Win8 - could make Win8 tolerable. I'm still holding out for blue hoping for some useful UI changes for desktop workflows and some de-uglification of Metro.

Sir Skully
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
de-uglification of Metro

:lol:... :wave:

Sandog
04-08-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.slashgear.com/windows-blue-is-windows-8-1-insider-claims-and-expect-it-in-a-few-months-time-02276124/

WolfSoul
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Ok here's some rather disturbing and irritating news... I was going to check out laptops with someone today and in this one shop we went to they said Microsoft does not allow Windows 7 to be distributed anymore.. and that he knew a shopowner they caught, they confiscated all his PCs that had Windows 7

XJ.
04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok here's some rather disturbing and irritating news... I was going to check out laptops with someone today and in this one shop we went to they said Microsoft does not allow Windows 7 to be distributed anymore.. and that he knew a shopowner they caught, they confiscated all his PCs that had Windows 7

Must have been an OEM or re-seller restriction. You can still buy Win7 in the US. M$ are just shooting themselves in the foot, by once again, giving the customers what M$ wants instead of what the Customer wants. :cuckoo:

Sandog
04-10-2013, 09:40 PM
That sounds like the mafia when you say confiscated PC's. I wonder if it has to do with sanctions from the EU on MS. I thought the whole point of the EU penalizing MS was to have more 3rd party integration. Isn't getting rid of Win7 restricting software? Like XJ said, you can get either or over here. Most people are still wanting Win7 on PC's and laptops I believe.

Griff
04-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Must have been an OEM or re-seller restriction. You can still buy Win7 in the US. M$ are just shooting themselves in the foot, by once again, giving the customers what M$ wants instead of what the Customer wants. :cuckoo:

I agree they are shooting themselves in the foot. Customers should have there choice of O/S. :<

WolfSoul
04-11-2013, 02:33 AM
Well I dunno if that is the correct term but from wat this guy told me they took 13 assembled PCs from that shop.. sounds like confiscating to me And yea not sure but it's probably an OEM thing
Microsoft is destroying themself, the OS market, applications and gaming if you ask me
It would be a real shame though if Windows dissapears.. the alternatives don't appeal to me much

Sandog
04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/11/windows-8-blamed-for-biggest-pc-shipment-plunge-ever/?intcmp=features

polonyc2
06-19-2013, 01:26 PM
According to the latest leaked build of Windows 8.1, the Start button and Menu will make their triumphant return...but...they wonít look or work like the Windows 7 Start menu...with Windows 8.1 youíll get a Start button in the bottom left corner but when you click it, itís the Metro screen thatíll jarringly greet you, not a resurrected Windows 7-style Start menu

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thought MS might actually listen to complaints and reinsert the classic Start Menu people are used to but apparently not...oh well I'll just stick with Windows 7

sammy2066
06-19-2013, 01:39 PM
According to the latest leaked build of Windows 8.1, the Start button and Menu will make their triumphant return...but...they won’t look or work like the Windows 7 Start menu...with Windows 8.1 you’ll get a Start button in the bottom left corner but when you click it, it’s the Metro screen that’ll jarringly greet you, not a resurrected Windows 7-style Start menu

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I thought MS might actually listen to complaints and reinsert the classic Start Menu people are used to but apparently not...oh well I'll just stick with Windows 7

Agreed. But it's still a step in the right direction. The reason is two-fold, and my rationale is as follows:

1. For the people who've been using Windows 8, they know the bottom left corner takes them to the Metro start screen; for them, clicking a button is still presumably, infinitely better than using that awkward gesture. (I found that gesture, and the resulting pop-up to be quite awkward. I surmise a button will help alleviate this frustration.)

2. People new to the OS will definitely feel at home, just by seeing something familiar, as opposed to a task bar devoid of the start button. Although the result after clicking on it is unexpected, it will still help. The learning curve will still be there, but it definitely won't be exacerbated.

I've been following these 8.1 changes pretty closely, and I'm hopeful. Some of the stuff they're doing may seem like no-brainer features to have made the cut in Windows 8, but like I said, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

In closing, I feel iOS 7 is somehow going to have a very similar trajectory.

polonyc2
06-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Agreed. But it's still a step in the right direction. The reason is two-fold, and my rationale is as follows:

1. For the people who've been using Windows 8, they know the bottom left corner takes them to the Metro start screen; for them, clicking a button is still presumably, infinitely better than using that awkward gesture. (I found that gesture, and the resulting pop-up to be quite awkward. I surmise a button will help alleviate this frustration.)

2. People new to the OS will definitely feel at home, just by seeing something familiar, as opposed to a task bar devoid of the start button. Although the result after clicking on it is unexpected, it will still help. The learning curve will still be there, but it definitely won't be exacerbated.

I've been following these 8.1 changes pretty closely, and I'm hopeful. Some of the stuff they're doing may seem like no-brainer features to have made the cut in Windows 8, but like I said, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

In closing, I feel iOS 7 is somehow going to have a very similar trajectory.

I was using the release candidate of Windows 8 for a few weeks and actually liked it for the most part...a lot of nice under the hood improvements...but at the end of the day the extra few clicks it took to complete simple tasks was something I could not get used to...I was hoping 8.1 would give us back the traditional Start Menu but I guess MS is intent on pushing the Metro tile interface at all costs

I'm all for innovation and progress but this seems like something that could have been handled differently...giving people options is always better then forcing people to adapt

PeterT
06-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Check this thread for a conversation on the changes in Win 8.1:
What's New in Windows 8.1 - ABXZone Computer Forums (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122187)

Loreta
02-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Windows 8 was a mistake of Microsoft, so they upgraded fast windos 8.1 which solved some problems.

fvbounty
02-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Windows 8 was a mistake of Microsoft, so they upgraded fast windos 8.1 which solved some problems.

How do you like windows 10?

Loreta
03-01-2016, 09:11 AM
How do you like windows 10?

I like Windows 10, it is much better than Windows 8, but I prefer windows 7 ultimate.

fvbounty
03-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I like Windows 10, it is much better than Windows 8, but I prefer windows 7 ultimate.

I'm really happy with W10, don't think I could go back to W7...hope your having a good day...:wave::thumb: