PDA

View Full Version : Windows Event Viewer

Sandog
05-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey clan,

I just performed a fresh install. I outlined exactly what and the order of what I installed as far as necessary drivers. Pretty basic. I then let Windows auto update.

I have been having a USB issue with something trying to connect and disconnect. I can not see it because I am doing something when it happens and I lose keyboard and mouse control. The switch only lasts a few seconds and it is gone. I have been looking at the Windows Even Viewer to see what is going on but I still can't make much of it.

I try to click 'Event Log Online Help' but the URL is not good (thanks Microcrap). I seem to always have an event log full of warnings and errors and was wondering what other peoples event logs look like. For example, one says abnormal shutdown. I have not shut down abnormally yet.

Anyway, to view go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

Sir Skully
05-22-2015, 01:36 AM
Heres mine... its about like yours a mess....

Sandog
05-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Thanks Skully, I think things like using ASUS Boot Setting might screw with the shutdown process I don't know but my PC runs good even with events from time to time. There is always a lot going on with Windows, just look at the amount of services and processes running at one time.

I reinstalled my printer driver last night and I have not seen the USB issue return yet. It is a very minor bug and I know it will go away eventually. The Deluxe should be a very solid mobo, I know the X99-A was and it is just a derivative of the Deluxe. I am using the Deluxe in the same capacity as the X99-A, I just wanted it for the white bling.

Sir Skully
05-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Yea my windows/system all run well even with the events, I tend to agree with you, alot going on in window os. glad to hear you fixed your USB issue...

JimTram
05-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Here's mine. If you want to really become a nervous wreck - pay attention to Event Viewer. :lol:

If the rig works, and your not getting too many Critical errors - enjoy it!

Best way to get answers on the events is to Google them. Solved a bunch I had when I first started up. Discovered that many errors are in fact benign, and as long as WU works, and the computer is stable, all's good!

Example: I always get one audit failure. Traced it down to a known issue with the Realtek drivers. Benign. Best sound I ever had.

JimTram
05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Got rid of the RealTek Driver - no audit failures. :lol:

Sandog
05-22-2015, 07:26 PM
You should have warned me earlier about Event Viewer lol.

I only looked in it because I had an issue. I reinstalled my printer driver last night and have not seen the USB issue yet. Something was trying to install some printer device driver. I had 3 printers in Devices and Printers. I deleted the two MS ones.

I think Realtek has pretty good drivers. You may want to go to Realtek's site an look for the latest. 90% of mobo's use a Realtek audio chip. If you are using onboard sound I would think you need the Realtek audio drivers to make it work to its fullest.

JimTram
05-22-2015, 09:45 PM
The drivers work fine. The audit failure annoyed me. With iTunes the MS drivers sound as good.

JimTram
05-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Well it took me overnight, but I found the issue with the single Audit Failure I was getting.

After trying Realtek drivers from both ASUS and Realtek - I stumbled on a RealTek driver at Intel's site. Installed it and no more Audit Failures.

Got to stop looking at Event Viewer. :lol:

Sir Skully
05-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Well it took me overnight, but I found the issue with the single Audit Failure I was getting.

After trying Realtek drivers from both ASUS and Realtek - I stumbled on a RealTek driver at Intel's site. Installed it and no more Audit Failures.

Got to stop looking at Event Viewer. :lol:

Yea stay out of there... :lol:

JimTram
05-30-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm addicted to it as it is just as much of a challenge as OC.

:lol:

Sir Skully
05-30-2015, 09:47 PM
You can find help here...Windows Event Viewer Anonymous... :lol:

JimTram
05-31-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm Done

fvbounty
05-31-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm Done

Congrats.....:yes::wave::thumb:

Sir Skully
05-31-2015, 03:18 PM
Yea nice clean up Jim... :thumb:

JimTram
05-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Now I am ready for Win10 :lol:

For those who think getting OC is difficult: try WEV!

GWillakers
05-31-2015, 08:48 PM
OK Jim,

It is all this threads fault.

After taking a gander at this thread, I felt it was awhile since I checked my events. To my dismay I found 700+ warnings for the last 24 hours.
and over 9000+ warnings for the week.

Opening up detail .... I see a message that must take me back 30+ years...
The dreaded "machine check". I am only a PC hobby sort of guy... but my mainframe experience goes back decades.

In mainframe terms a "machine check" is broken hardware.

But in this case the detail reveals the errors were corrected.

And when they refer to a specific MCABANK ... my mind can only go towards memory.

Seems my ECC memory has been fixing up problems...
Could be cause recently I decided to step up the clock on this aging internet computer.

Brought the timings back to normal... Will see if the errors go away...
Keeping fingers crossed ... And will now have to make a habit of checking this blasted log.

Sandog
05-31-2015, 09:08 PM
OK Jim,

After taking a gander at this thread, I felt it was awhile since I checked my events. To my dismay I found 700+ warnings for the last 24 hours.

The dreaded "machine check". I am only a PC hobby sort of guy... but my mainframe experience goes back decades.

And when they refer to a specific MCABANK ... my mind can only go towards memory.

Could be cause recently I decided to step up the clock on this aging internet computer.

Keeping fingers crossed ... And will now have to make a habit of checking this blasted log.

I think that a lot of it has to do with programs not shutting down properly or checks getting bypassed at startup. All this might be due to ASUS cutting every corner possible to give the user a fast boot.

I bet if you re-enable all the hardware checking in BIOS, ran the memory bus at CPU specs (SPD), and disable CPU Turbo and OCing that events would decrease.

Another thing, does anyone shutdown while apps are still open? I do, especially IE browser. My PC shuts down in 3s and I doubt it is closing properly.

fvbounty
06-01-2015, 08:00 AM
I think that a lot of it has to do with programs not shutting down properly or checks getting bypassed at startup. All this might be due to ASUS cutting every corner possible to give the user a fast boot.

I bet if you re-enable all the hardware checking in BIOS, ran the memory bus at CPU specs (SPD), and disable CPU Turbo and OCing that events would decrease.

Another thing, does anyone shutdown while apps are still open? I do, especially IE browser. My PC shuts down in 3s and I doubt it is closing properly.

I always shutdown everything (well sometimes I miss something ...lol) and mine shutdowns really quick too...:<

JimTram
06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
There is a lot of fault to go around with the errors in WEV. ASUS is a culprit, but the biggest is MS itself.

The continual stream of updates for security is a big factor. Nevertheless, there is a bunch of stuff going on under the hood and it's amazing that it all works!

Took me a while to get rid of errors and to properly interpret the warnings as benign or serious. Now that I am done, PC still runs the same. :lol:

JimTram
06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Close it down and never open it again. :beer:

OK Jim,

fvbounty
06-01-2015, 10:28 AM

I like that advice....lol....:ahhhhh:....:beer:

GWillakers
06-02-2015, 01:13 AM

If only I could.

Well the errors seem to have disappeared.
Probably caused by my OC'ing the memory.