PDA

View Full Version : New PIII at 1200Mhz? Not a Tualatin?

Zbone
07-24-2001, 06:03 PM
I found a 1200Mhz PIII .18 micron RETAIL package cpu. This is NOT a Tualatin cpu for that is manufactured at .13 microns. I called the company to verify the cpu for me and everything seems cool. I figured, what the hell, I'll order one and if it's off base in any way I'll send it back. I ordered it on Thursday last week and they shipped it on 7/24/01 (didn't have any in at the time). I should receive the cpu this Thursday. If this is legit, I might be able to overclock to 1350 or 1400. My only other concern is how high does the multiplier go on the Cusl2-BP? On a 1200Mhz CPU the multiplier should be 9. I went to Intels web site but did not find any info on this cpu. I guess I'll know soon enough. I'll keep everyone posted.

swannema
07-24-2001, 07:43 PM
That's interesting. Keep us informt.
I never heard of that chip, hopefully there is not mixup with AMD.

Update: I did some checking on pricewatch and found a couple of vendors offering a PIII 1.2GHZ, FCPGA, but its the 0.13 micron technology:

MODEL- BX80530C1200256 VENDOR- INTEL CORP. ** RETAIL BOXED ** FEATURES- Pentium III 1200MHz CPU The new generation of Pentium Processors, built on Intel's 0.13- micron process technology, include 70 new instructions; Intel Pro- cessor Serial number; P6 Architecture; 133MHz System Bus speed; 256K ECC on-die Cache; FC-PGA (Flip Chip-Plastic Grid Array, 370- pin) package. Includes processor with High quality fan heatsink, Fan power cable 93-wire, Installation manual, Certificate of Authenticity, and Intel Inside® logo label. * Core speed of 1200-MHz. * 133-MHz system bus versions designed to support the Intel® 820, 810E, 440GX and 440BX chipsets. * Internet Streaming SIMD Extensions, consisting of 70 new instructions that enable advanced imaging, 3D, streaming audio and video, speech recognition and an enhanced Internet experience. * 256-KB on-die, full-speed L2 Error Correcting Code (ECC) cache (Advanced Transfer Cache). * Intel MMX media enhancement technology. * Dual Independent Bus (DIB) architecture increases bandwidth and perfor- mance over single-bus processors. * Intel® processor serial number, designed to improve asset management, platform identification and information management capabilities. * Memory cacheability of 4GB of addressable memory space and memory scalability to 64 GB of physical memory. * Data integrity and reliability features such as Error Correction Code, Fault Analysis, Recovery, and Functional Redundancy Checking for both system and L2 cache buses. * Versions that include Advanced Transfer Cache: 256-KB unified, non- blocking, L2 cache that improves performance by reducing the average memory access time and providing fast access to recently used instruc tions and data. Performance is enhanced through a dedicated 256-bit cache bus. This cache configuration runs at the full processor core speed. This processor also incorporates two separate 16-KB level-one caches, one for instructions and one for data.

Zbone
07-24-2001, 08:44 PM
Intel PENTIUM III FCPGA 1200MHZ 133MHZ BUS 256K .18 MICRON BOXED VERSION COPPERMINE COMES WITH FAN AND HEAT SINK 3 YEAR WARRANTY
Part #: INP3FC-1200EBBOX

deadkenny
07-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Maybe it's a Cumine-T. I thought they were only available at 1133MHz, but sounds like it's even higher. Maybe Intel finally figured out how to get the Cumine to 1.2GHz. Nothing really new to a lot of the OC'ers on this board. Let us know how it works out.

Perry_abx
07-24-2001, 09:22 PM
This is very interesting! I saw it at price watch too. The multiplier should not be an issue. The CUSL2 boards set the multiplier automatically if you are in "jumper free" mode. The specs for the board at ASUS say they support "Intel® FCPGA Pentium® III 450MHz~1GHz+" (The + would seem to indicate they had this possibility in mind.)

I am interested in hearing how it works out for you Zbone! :)

swannema
07-25-2001, 06:46 AM
Now I found the 0.18 micron one too, it is priced way too high, at least for my taste. Its listed over $300, that's more than the price for a similar PIV.

Technoman
07-25-2001, 06:53 AM
Please post the URL for the site were you bought it !

Technoman
07-25-2001, 06:54 AM
Please post the URL for the site were you bought it !

http://www.geocities.com/asususer2000/asusman.html?996104305800

swannema
07-25-2001, 04:12 PM
Technoman I haven't bought it, it is too expensive for my taste, at least right now, but here is the link to one of the vendors, you can also do a search on pricewatch. Just try Pentiyum III 1.2, its on the second page.

http://www.pcprogress.com/cart/getlist.asp?ItemCat=CPU&OrderID=7868109062383669614791

Zbone
07-25-2001, 09:59 PM
I received the 1200Mhz cpu today and it will NOT run on my Cusl2-C BP. It is a Tualatin at .18 microns with a core voltage of 1.475v. Imagine my disappointment when my core voltage doesn't drop below 1.70v! I have a Abit BE6-II mb that it will run in for now until I can get my hands on a Tusl2-C. I have heard these cpu's overclock well.

jmsandrsn
07-25-2001, 10:41 PM
Zbone,
I actually got a PIII 1.2 GHZ today also. I kind of figured that the place you bought from didn't know what they were talking about when they said it was 0.18 micron. Unfortunatley, I ordered mine from the most expensive place...I didn't even see these things listed on pricewatch until today.

Will this chip actually run in a BE6-II with a slocket???

If you don't want to play games and guess at when the TUSL2 will be out, you could go with the ABIT ST6. It is very stable and can handle high FSB's. I'm able to run the PIII 1.2 GHZ up to 168 FSB(about 1.52 GHZ) on an ST6. However, the ST6 is not well suited for overclocking coppermines because it will only allow you to raise the voltage 0.125V over the CPU's default.

Zbone
07-25-2001, 10:57 PM
The BX mb will run the new PIII, of course they're not designed to run at 133fsb, but it's possible.

I just ordered my Asus Tusl2-C from googlegear.com, they show they have them in stock already. I guess I'll find out. I haven't found any other website that carries them yet.

jmsandrsn
07-25-2001, 11:03 PM
Man....the TUSL2-C wasn't on pricewatch at all earlier today. Now three places have it listed.

So were you successful at running the Tualatin on a BX board or are you just assuming that it will run?

Rivi
07-26-2001, 10:52 AM
if you look at intels web site under specs for P3's the 1.2 gig is listed ....but it has different specs and intel says its only for servers NOT home pc's...........YALL been smokin funny chit????

jmsandrsn
07-26-2001, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rivi
if you look at intels web site under specs for P3's the 1.2 gig is listed ....but it has different specs and intel says its only for servers NOT home pc's...........YALL been smokin funny chit????

Nope, not been smokin' anything here.

If you go to pricewatch.com and type in "intel 1.2" in the search field you will see what's going on.

timeXway
07-26-2001, 09:52 PM
guys this is 64bit chip?!

IronPlasma
07-26-2001, 10:46 PM
I think these stores are just mistaken. If the core voltage says 1.45 then it is definately a .13 micron Tualatin and not a Coppermine. And an .18 micron Tualatin simply doesn't exist. There is the Coppermine-T which is just the latest revision of the .18 micron Coppermine. Careful about buying these "1.2GHz Coppermines", you'll probably be getting a Tualatin which won't run in your CUSL2. But you CAN get the latest Coppermine stepping 1GHz CPU which should overclock to around 1.2GHz with decent cooling... not to mention being much cheaper.

-IronPlasma

Rivi
07-27-2001, 03:14 AM
This is nuts.....i was at intels web site yesterday and that 1.2 gig chip was listed as a P3 for servers............Today its gone and a 1.133 gig (TA1 stepping)chip is listed instead for server use only.The highest Intel P3 chip for a desktop is the 1.1 gig http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm

SirLaw11
07-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Zbone,
did you try the pin trick? Coz i am planning to get the Tualatin and most probably i will try the pin trick fro my CUSL2-C.....

Zbone
07-27-2001, 08:23 PM
No, I did not try the pin trick. I ordered the Asus Tusl2-C mb form goolegear.com. It already shipped on 7/27/01 and I should receive it this Monday 7/30/01. The motherboard looks pretty sweet with some added features.

georgeys
07-28-2001, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by SirLaw11
Zbone,
did you try the pin trick? Coz i am planning to get the Tualatin and most probably i will try the pin trick fro my CUSL2-C.....

Well, i don't think a simple pin trick for voltage hack will work on CUSL2(-C) boards. Apart from core voltage, it also requires appropriate micro code in BIOS to support new processors, whatever new core or only a new stepping. Since CUSL2(-C) doesn't officially support Tualatin, I don't think there's such micro codes in the BIOSes of these boards. Flashing the BIOS of TUSL2-C into a CUSL2-C may work, as two boards are of very similar layout, but it's too risky and certainly, it ruins ur warrenty.

georgeys
07-29-2001, 03:17 AM
Well, I bought my TUSL2-C today to replace my cursed AMD Druon system. Just as my prediction, Asus will never let u to perform the BIOS trick so easily, TUSL2-C uses PhoenixBIOS, unlike the Award medallion BIOS used by all the pervious Asus boards. And the new voltage regulator IC is of part number ISL6524CB (link for its details: http://www.intersil.com/design/parametric/productinfo.asp?pn=ISL6524CB ). Now I really have no idea to make a CUSL2(-C) board Tualatin compatible.

Zbone
07-29-2001, 08:56 AM
That can't be right. The Asus website states Award Bios not Phoenix. Along with the fact that I received my Tusl2-C on Saturday and the bios chip says Award right on it. Where did you get that information?

95Cobra-R
07-29-2001, 12:59 PM
I think the PIII 1200mhz you guys are seeing is not a Tualatin but a faster PIII called the CopperMine-T.

Check this thread at anandtech:

Link (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=512647)

There is a post from RichieZZZZ there and he posted:

you need to read HOCP they e-mailed abit about it.

<< There is and has been confusion about what exactly Tualatin CPUs will work in as we stated earlier. It seems as if Tualatin CPUs are not backwards compatible with BX or i815 chipsets. When I posted this earlier I got this mail from Don Goff that pointed us to this link which we had posted a month or so ago that states this, "Supports Intel Coppermine T CPU." about their BIOS upgrade for the ABIT BX133 RAID board. Admittedly I am a bit confused about this too so we asked ABIT what exactly the deal is and here is their response.

Kyle,

OK, I have it. It is the confusion about CopperMine CPU vs. CopperMine-T CPU vs. Tualatin CPU.

The CopperMine-T was the CPU that was the bridge between the CopperMine and Tualatin platforms. The CopperMine-T can work in BX boards, usually through a BIOS update.

The Tualatin CPU has a different pinout and simply will not work in a BX board. I have confirmed this with our R&D and FAE so have to believe that this time it is true.

Scott.

So, as stated before, Tualatins will not be backwards compatible.
>>

-------------------------
Heatware<= 46 and counting
Super Z System
HOGB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some other interesting info:

Take a look here for info on the:
Pentium® III Processor for the PGA370 Socket at 1.13A to 1.20GHz on 0.13 micron process Datasheet

Link (http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/datashts/249765.htm)

Take a look here for info on the:
Pentium® III Processor with 512KB L2 Cache at 1.13GHz

Link (http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/datashts/249657.htm)

I hope this helps
Cobra

jmsandrsn
07-29-2001, 01:03 PM
I actually ordered and received a PIII 1.2 GHZ from one of the 6 or 7 places on Pricewatch that have them listed. It is a Tualatin CPU. I would guess that these places were tired of playing Intel's game of delaying the release of these CPU's and went ahead and jumped the gun on Intel's official release date.

95Cobra-R
07-29-2001, 01:17 PM
jmsandrsn,

What exactly did you type into the search at pricewatch?

I only found two places.

Is yours the 0.13 die size ot the 0.18. and does it have 256L2 or 512L2?

Thanks!!!

jmsandrsn
07-29-2001, 01:30 PM
I typed in "intel 1.2" in the search field at pricewatch.com. On pages 3 and 4 you will seel about 6 or 7 places that have it listed.

Mine is a Tualatin so therefore it is 0.13 micron. This is desktop version with 256k cache and the default voltage is 1.45V

georgeys
07-30-2001, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Zbone
That can't be right. The Asus website states Award Bios not Phoenix. Along with the fact that I received my Tusl2-C on Saturday and the bios chip says Award right on it. Where did you get that information?

Yes, in fact it's an award medallion BIOS. But at the time of my last post, I had only took a look of this new board, the label of BIOS shows it is a PhoenixBIOS , but actually it's an award BIOS. How about the BIOS label on ur TUSL2-C, Zbone?

And something to remind all of u is that due to the limitations of VRM8.5 spec, ALL the mobo with i815 B0-stepping can only output a max core voltage of 1.825V. It means u can not overclock a Coppermine on these boards using a core voltage beyond 1.85V. On TUSL2-C, there's options in BIOS for 1.85-1.95V for my cB0 chip, but it simply locks up at POST screen after scan for IDE devices when u select them.

Zbone
07-30-2001, 03:36 PM
georgeys - I post AWARD MEDALLION, but actually I found a sticker on my motherboard, not attached to any chip, that did state PhoenixBios. The sticker was where the audio port would have been. Go figure.

georgeys
07-31-2001, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Zbone
georgeys - I post AWARD MEDALLION, but actually I found a sticker on my motherboard, not attached to any chip, that did state PhoenixBios. The sticker was where the audio port would have been. Go figure.

Yes, that's where I found the stick of BIOS. And my TUSL2-C is of BIOS 1007.A, where can I get the file for 1008?

Zbone
07-31-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by georgeys

Yes, that's where I found the stick of BIOS. And my TUSL2-C is of BIOS 1007.A, where can I get the file for 1008?

Here is the link that I use

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_370/INTEL_Chipset/i815ep/TUSL2-C/