ABXZone Computer  Forums

ABXZone Computer Forums (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Gaming (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Fallout 3 (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114095)

polonyc2 10-08-2008 05:13 PM

Fallout 3

Fallout 3 has gone gold and will be hitting shelves Oct 28th in North America and Oct 31st in Europe :yes:

Golden: Fallout 3 - News and Siteseeing

maxidius 10-08-2008 07:55 PM

Re: Fallout 3

Bailout 1 and Bailout 2 have been done, now people may be asking if Bailout 3 is on the way or not.

zsaz1029 10-08-2008 08:32 PM

:hjacked:

:look:

WhiteEclipse 10-09-2008 08:54 AM

I read two European review already. The Swedish PC Gamer said it is Oblivion with guns after all. The other one said not it wasn't.

More info at nma No Mutants Allowed - Your Post Nuclear News Center!

And the ultimate irony, the xbox 360 version of fallout 3 has been pirated already. Why are developers so worried about the pc version?

Wingit 10-09-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteEclipse (Post 1422706)

And the ultimate irony, the xbox 360 version of fallout 3 has been pirated already. Why are developers so worried about the pc version?

This is indeed ironic as the developer mantra of late has been that PC piracy is responsible for the console-centric path so many are taking...

jaketerminate 10-09-2008 10:24 AM

I took a quick look at this game, might look interesting. Ill check it out after FarCry 2 is released.

polonyc2 10-09-2008 06:02 PM

Minimum System Requirements:

-Windows XP/Vista
-1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
-2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
-Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Recommended System Requirements:

-Intel Core 2 Duo processor
-2 GB System RAM
-Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)

Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site

mindx2 10-09-2008 07:31 PM

Man I'm really trying to go into this with an open mind... but... it... is... SOOOOO hard. I just hope they haven't truly made "Oblivion with Guns". An Oblivion mod basically. I need to step back and not think of this as a Fallout game. Just ignore the title and think of it as a FPS Post-Apocoliptic game. I guess we also have to see how infected this game is with Consolitis. That dreaded disease has been infecting so many PC games lately it's hard to find an honest-to-god real PC game any more.

polonyc2 10-09-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindx2 (Post 1422730)
Man I'm really trying to go into this with an open mind... but...

I'm not saying the game is going to be the greatest or even better then Fallout 1 or 2 but...it doesn't seem like you have an open mind at all regarding the game...seems as though you have already made up your mind...WhiteEclipse referenced 2 articles that reviewed the game, one stated it was 'Oblivion with guns' while the other said it was not...but you focused on the 1 review that went along with your pre-conceived notion of the game

by the way...the Swedish PCgamer Magazine review still gave the game a final score of 81% and stated the following..."Don't let your frames of reference limit you, but rather try to experience the game on it's own merits. No matter your story, Fallout 3 is for some moments a fantastic game, only limited by the prequels"

meaning don't judge Fallout 3 based on the previous games in the series...let the game stand on its own and base your opinion on the game itself and not by how much you loved Fallout 1/2 and try and nitpick every thing that is missing or changed from the previous games

"81% - Has to be experienced in spite of many small and a few big flaws"

Cogar 10-12-2008 10:55 AM

Well, WhiteEclipse posted a great link in another thread here:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f4/fal...ml#post1418125

I think there is enough there to form a good opinion regarding the game--although it has spoilers, since it walks through a good portion of a side quest to convey how the game works. (Well, what's one side quest in a good RPG anyway?) Anyway, I do not care if it is like Oblivion or not. We have all played RPGs that are like Fallout or Arcanum (isometric view) and games that are like Morrowind or Jade Empire (first/third person). I have seen them well done and poorly done in both styles, so the game will have to stand or fall on its own. Only when it is released will everyone have the opportunity to form an opinion based on how they enjoyed the game. Personally, I have greatly enjoyed some games that were not well received critically (Two Worlds) and some that had so-so reviews (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines). The reverse has also been true in that some games that people praised left me bored or disappointed (or both). In any case, I am looking forward to Fallout 3. :)

mindx2 10-12-2008 12:18 PM

Well I've been watching the streaming feeds of people that have "acquired" the game early. Only thing I can say is that it IS Oblivion w/ Guns.

-Same style dialogue (short with little few choices)
-VATS is a huge cheat-mode where supermutants can be head shot over and over and killed by a low level character.
-A supposed wasteland that appears more crowded than NYC.
-Supermutants are the new orc.
-Karma (take a fork from one house without anyone seeing it and your Karma falls and everyone seems to know your a thief now).
-Post-Apocoliptic world where the first guy to meet you (the Sheriff) welcomes you like a long lost friend. Not much of a way to set the mood for your game world.

These are just a few things that have so far really stood out to me. It looks like a "re-skinned mod" of Oblivion. I don't understand the mentality that good graphics makes a good cRPG.

Regardless of what some have said I really want to like this game. However, after actually watching the gameplay, not listening to hype, it does not FEEL anything like Fallout (and no I'm not talking about the perspective but the GAMEPLAY).

polonyc2 10-12-2008 01:05 PM

again, Oblivion was not a bad game...it only feels that way to certain people when comparing it to Morrowind or previous entries in that series...Oblivion on its own merits is a very nice game...people's expectations won't allow certain game's to succeed in their own minds

game's have a right to evolve and not remain exactly the same 10+ years after the previous entry in a series...if Fallout 3 is 'Oblivion with guns' then maybe that is not such a bad thing...it could be a heck of a lot worse

mindx2 10-12-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polonyc2 (Post 1422863)
game's have a right to evolve and not remain exactly the same 10+ years after the previous entry in a series...if Fallout 3 is 'Oblivion with guns' then maybe that is not such a bad thing...it could be a heck of a lot worse

Using this logic shouldn't Fallout 3 be different than Oblivion instead of being "stuck in the past" and looking and feeling just like the old Oblivion (ie Oblivion 2)?

zsaz1029 10-13-2008 01:29 AM

No, because games don't evolve in a simple linear fashion. EACH game cannot be different. Period. And I've only ever seen one Oblivion on the store shelves, so its time is not yet up.

Personally, I'm waiting for the paradigm shift away from FPSs, but I know it's not likely to happen.

Cogar 10-14-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindx2 (Post 1422862)
-VATS is a huge cheat-mode where supermutants can be head shot over and over and killed by a low level character.

Fallout has the same capability, allowing the player to target body parts as part of the normal turn-based combat.