ABXZone Computer  Forums

ABXZone Computer Forums (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php)
-   Programming & Webmastering (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   what do you use to design a web site? (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106788)

ultranet 12-28-2006 06:30 AM

what do you use to design a web site?

Hello to all designers and programmers

So what program do you use to develop a well-developed website.
The options are

1. Dreamweaver
2. Frontpage
3. Fireworks
4. Flash
5. ALL
6. Others?

pointreyes 12-28-2006 08:23 AM

I use ultraedit - a high-end text editor. MS is replacing Frontpage with Web Expressions - you might be able to obtain a beta version to see if it's any good.

Cogar 12-28-2006 10:42 AM

Designing, developing, and programming are different things. As a guess, about 90% of the design professionals use Dreamweaver. FrontPage and GoLive mess with your markup or the markup of an existing site and rewrite whatever they please. Dreamweaver leaves existing markup alone (except for recommending changes to get rid of errors). Dreamweaver uses essentially no "proprietary" elements, attributes, or scripts and it has a reasonably intuitive WYSIWYG interface that can be readily switched with a code view, should you want to look at things.

For programming or developing, I have typically used Linux applications, since the sites I work with run on UNIX or Linux servers and writing CGI scripts and programs in Perl works well on those platforms. Therefore, I most like Quanta Plus for programming, although I have been known to use Emacs occasionally. :p

John64 12-28-2006 10:47 AM

the only thing i use is a text editor, the design of the site can be almost totally decided by the Style Sheet

Acid8000 12-28-2006 05:06 PM

When I used to do Python CGI in school I used Nvu to generate the HTML. I knew very little HTML at the time (and now too, I guess) so it was very useful.

yamawho 12-28-2006 05:16 PM

We use Frontpage and our estore is running on oscommerce.

ronbo 613 12-28-2006 10:10 PM

I use an older program, HotMetal Pro, but my websites are very basic because many of my customers most likely do not have big-time computers and high-speed internet. Also, the websites are primarily content-based(photos, videos, pdf files, etc.), so I don't generally use Flash or Java components.

BoWevil 12-29-2006 03:49 AM

FrontPage 2003.

DarkEdge 01-01-2007 11:06 PM

i think it depends on your ability.
will all of the above applications work? yes.
can you make them work?
???
my site is all flash.
index

(51) 01-01-2007 11:30 PM

Dreamweaver MX with Fireworks

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_9_10.gif

Pasch 01-02-2007 02:13 AM

I use a little Dreamweaver and Flash, but mainly Notepad and Photoshop. I like how Notepad is just plain text, rather than Dreamweaver or a similar program.

BoWevil 01-02-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkEdge (Post 1348033)
can you make them work?
???
my site is all flash.
index

Nice design. What application are you using?

Cogar 01-02-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkEdge (Post 1348033)
can you make them work?
???
my site is all flash.
index

Just as a point of reference, when I clicked on your site, I got nothing from my work machine, since I did not have the correct plugins installed. (We are discouraged from installing programs on our machines here and many others may be in similar situations.) Incidentally, although I try to keep my personal machines up to date, I do not generally add plugins if a site requires them, and I tell my wife not to install anything either. The reason is that I do not trust much of anything out of the ordinary on the Internet.

shimonmor 01-11-2007 06:37 PM

I started out using Dreamweaver on a Mac then went to GoLive (which I didn't like) then moved to PCs and used GoLive (still didn't like it but I'm a glutton for punishment). I dabbled with Flash then grew to hate it too because so many sites use too much Flash for no purpose other than eye candy (waste of time and bandwidth).

Now I'm teaching myself XHTML and CSS and are using those. I finally figured out why CSS is so useful and what people meant by separating content from form. I'm in love with CSS. But I'm still using GoLive (CS version now...which still sucks) as a text editor just for the convenience since I can enter my coding and see results right away and there is a built in code verifier (is that what it's called?). I'm still an XHTML/CSS newb but I'm learning. I usually take a peak at page source and CSS files for most sites I visit which really helps the learning process (cutting and pasting other people's work helps me too! ... but I use that as a learning tool only...not for commercial gain or personal gain).

BoWevil 01-05-2008 10:40 AM

Re: what do you use to design a web site?

I just started dabbling in flash (SwishMax 2) and so far I really like the flexibility it gives to the process. You can get really out there or stay as conservative as you wish.