ABXZone Computer  Forums

ABXZone Computer Forums (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intel (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Prescott and Motherboard Support (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65449)

Jocky 02-07-2004 08:35 AM

Prescott and Motherboard Support

Found this on PC Stats.
Intel claims that most motherboards will work fine with a BIOS update, which third-party board vendors are expected to release. There's a chance that older Socket 478 motherboards are simply incompatible, though.

How serious is the problem, you ask? We tested a total of eight motherboards, randomly sampled from our test systems, for Prescott compatibility. Of the eight, only three actually worked, including the D875PBZ that Intel sent with the Prescott sample, ABIT's IC7-MAX3, and ABIT's AI7. Those boards that didn't work were ASUS' P4C800-E, AOpen's AX4C Max, two of Intel's D865PERL, and an older D875PBZ.

Although the ABIT IC7-MAX3 and AI7 successfully booted into Windows, neither motherboard properly recognized Prescott’s clock multiplier, in both cases reverting back to 2.8GHz. Each board was flashed to the latest publicly available BIOS, but ABIT clearly has some work to do before touting full Prescott compatibility. Consequently, we weren’t able to overclock the Prescott core at 3.2GHz. The only remaining platform with which to test, Intel’s D875PBZ, is limited to a four percent “Burn-in” mode that doesn’t facilitate aggressive FSB manipulation.

:beer:

Mr Steveo 02-07-2004 09:01 AM

I believe a couple of people in Sandogs thread (Intel Chipset forum) have Prescotts running fully supported and smooth as silk. So far everyone over there seems happy with the Prescott / D875PBZ Canterwood combo.

Sandog 02-07-2004 06:31 PM

Unless it is a heat/power issue the other boards probably just need to get their BIOS's in order. It doesn't surprise me that the Intel board works. I wonder if the other Intel board was a 206? That wouldn't be nice.

Mr.Steveo, I wasn't aware that anybody in our thread had a Prescott yet. Maybe I missed a post.

pointreyes 02-07-2004 07:10 PM

So the P4C800E-D is a dead board for the Prescott? This has been one bad day for me so I'm not a bit surprised if this is the case. :sad:

BBThumper 02-07-2004 07:12 PM

......The p4p and the p4c both work with the Prescott now. Its been seen in threads here and Xtreme and O/C forums.......

VSEKH 02-07-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pointreyes
So the P4C800E-D is a dead board for the Prescott? This has been one bad day for me so I'm not a bit surprised if this is the case. :sad:
Asus most likely will release a bios update soon to enable Prescott support on this board if does not support it already.

pointreyes 02-07-2004 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by VSEKH
Asus most likely will release a bios update soon to enable Prescott support on this board if does not support it already.
I sure hope so because I though bios 1014 addressed this and I have a Prescott coming probably by Wednesday.

BBThumper 02-07-2004 07:19 PM

......Prescott has been supported since the 1011 I believe. Look what Fugger found:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&pagenumber=2

Sorry, its half-way down the page.........the Prescott ran alot better on his Asus than Abit......

pointreyes 02-07-2004 07:34 PM

Thanks BBThumper. I will take the risk I guess. I have been hearing that for video encoding that the Prescott really is good for it. However, I'm also hoping that the extra cache will make database preformance better.

BBThumper 02-07-2004 07:37 PM

....the only thing is that they look to run reallllllllly hot so make sure you have a good HSF.......

pointreyes 02-07-2004 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BBThumper
....the only thing is that they look to run reallllllllly hot so make sure you have a good HSF.......
Makes me think of the good ole T-Bird days. :p ;)