ABXZone Computer  Forums

ABXZone Computer Forums (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intel (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Prescott Air Cooling Result (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65682)

trader88 02-10-2004 11:10 AM

Prescott Air Cooling Result
 
Just got myself a 3E ES, just want to share my experience with those of you thinking about overclocking the Prescott with just air cooling.

This is my setup:
Intel P4 3E ES
Abit IC7MAX3 (beta bios 14.b04)
Geil Platinum PC4200 512MB x 2
ATI 9800Pro 128MB
Raid0 with 2 x Maxtor ATA133 60GB
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
Antec True Control 550W

Cooling Component:
Thermalright SP94 with Delta 92mm fan rated at 4,500 rpm, 96cfm
Artic Silver 5
Cooler Master ATC-110B replaced case fan with Delta 80mm fan rated at 5,500 rpm, 80cfm and fan controller.

Here is a picture of the case:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...IC7MAX3001.jpg

As you all know by now, Prescott is a toaster. The sweet spot is 3.725GHz (266FSB x 14, 1:1) on current setup.

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_002.jpg
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_005.jpg

Iíve been testing this setting for 2 days. It runs 100% stable at everything I through at it. VCore is at 1.5825. The CPU loves voltage and I think can go much higher, but I think Iíll stick below 1.6v with just air cooling for now. As you can see the temp below:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_010.jpg

At full load, the cpu temp reaching 72 degree. I think this is about the limit of air cooling. I could load windows and do some bench at 3.8GHz (with 1.5825 VCore).

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_013.jpg

But it will reboot halfway during 3dmark bench. Upping voltage will solve that, but that will mean full load will reach nearly 80C and thatís a little risky.

At 1.5825, I can run FSB up to 270 at Multi 14 with my ram and it can do 2.5-4-4-7 at that speed. But I feel that the board likes 3-4-4-8 better. I ran 268FSB looping 3dmark03 at it 20th loop the machine reboot. I think itís the temp. 266 seem fine and did overnight 3dmark loops without any problem. And 266FSB seems to be the sweet spot for now.

SuperPI Score:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_016.jpg

2 area Prescott clearly exceed Northwood:

Cachemen
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_007.jpg

PCMark02/Memory score
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...escott_017.jpg

After thoughts,

Overclocking the Prescott itís quite easy to get it up but frustrated with the temp and power issue. It seems never stop keep asking for more juice. My CPU needed extra juice starting from 3.5GHz. I donít think this is a particularly good one as some reviewer said their CPU can go far on default voltage. Mine is a stepping 3 BTW. But after a while it developed a pattern. Whenever the CPU run out of juice, it will either load into windows with a black screen or reboot during bench. Reboot add a little more VCore then its all fine again. The pattern is about every 100MHz and I still havenít got to a point where it wants to stop. But then again, every time you increases VCore is about 2 degree temp increase on idle and may be more on full load. BTW the increase range on IC7MAX3 is 0.025v. Being said that, I have never seen my Antec TC 550 take such a beating. The True Control series allows adjustable voltage. And I had already turn them to the max (3.35, 5.14, 12.22). With the P4C or the A64, I never have seen power draining of 3.3v below 3.3 and 12v below 12 on the Antec. But on several occasion during benchmark, I remember it was PCmark04 image processing, 3.3 line suck down to 3.25 and 12v line suck down to 11.9 and thatís when the temp hit 72C. I will not recommend running this CPU without a very powerful PSU.

All and all, Iím quite happy that it run steady on air at 3.7GHz.

Hope you enjoy this, have a good day.

BillC 02-10-2004 11:17 AM

Very nice, comprehensive write-up! Thanks for sharing your experience. That's one hot-running CPU!

Bill

Kuz 02-10-2004 11:37 AM

Seems like a LOT of voltage to be throwing at a cpu with a default of ~1.35v, especially when only air cooling! Are you trying to be the first one to prove or disprove "SPDS"? :) Nice overclock, would just scare the hell out of me running more than .2v over default on a cpu that already is so damn hot.

Cheers,
Kuz

PCBruiser 02-10-2004 11:43 AM

This is a nice report, so thanks, very intersting. My concern with this cpu is the heat. Prescotts are just too hot for my tastes. I think that they almost require using alternative cooling solutions, such as water, due to case and other component heat buildup. I wish Intel had been a little more careful in dealing with the heat issues in their design.

trader88 02-10-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kuz
Seems like a LOT of voltage to be throwing at a cpu with a default of ~1.35v, especially when only air cooling! Are you trying to be the first one to prove or disprove "SPDS"? :) Nice overclock, would just scare the hell out of me running more than .2v over default on a cpu that already is so damn hot.

Cheers,
Kuz

Hi there,

Yeah, this thing is HOT. About the voltage, according to Intel spec finder, Prescott is rated from 1.25v to 1.525v. I figure I am just a little over its higher limit should be ok for now, but as I said, I would not try over 1.6v on air, thats risky.

Thanks for reminding though.

Spec3 02-10-2004 12:35 PM

You cooling your cpu mosfets? I bet they are getting SUPER hot with that prescott pulling so much power from them

pointreyes 02-10-2004 01:00 PM

From: http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/...ooling_2.shtml
http://www.legitreviews.com/review/p...temp/temps.gif
I'm still waiting to see what other boards will provide for temps because I thought the Abit boards were a little high on the temps in the first place.

PCBruiser 02-10-2004 01:03 PM

... and remember, various Hydrocool reviews have indicated that it is not the most effective water cooling kit out there, either.

trader88 02-10-2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pointreyes
From: http://www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/...ooling_2.shtml
http://www.legitreviews.com/review/p...temp/temps.gif
I'm still waiting to see what other boards will provide for temps because I thought the Abit boards were a little high on the temps in the first place.

Legitreview temp report with SP94 is about right on default settings. But once you OC these babies, its a different story. The temp just scale up with your clock speed very nicely.

BillC 02-10-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PCBruiser
... and remember, various Hydrocool reviews have indicated that it is not the most effective water cooling kit out there, either.
Yes, I have seen a couple of those reviews. I just ordered one, so I'll see in person how well it does. How quiet is your Koolance, 'Bruiser? Quieter than an air-powered (standard) heatsink? Or noisier, but more effective at getting rid of the heat?

Thanks,
Bill

PCBruiser 02-10-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BillC
Yes, I have seen a couple of those reviews. I just ordered one, so I'll see in person how well it does. How quiet is your Koolance, 'Bruiser? Quieter than an air-powered (standard) heatsink? Or noisier, but more effective at getting rid of the heat?

Thanks,
Bill

Quieter and more effective. Bill, I posted a thread on my experiences:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=65208

BillC 02-10-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PCBruiser
Quieter and more effective. Bill, I posted a thread on my experiences:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=65208

Cool! (cough) Thanks very much, 'Bruiser. I hadn't seen that before. I'll spend some time reading through it this afternoon.

Best!
Bill

Edit: I ordered the Hydrocool from Newegg, so I can RMA it if I want to.

PCBruiser 02-10-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BillC
Cool! (cough)
My pun ishment? :p

BBThumper 02-10-2004 01:40 PM

......from running alot of AMD chips at 50c to 55c at idle those temps don't look that bad. Abit mobos are also known for giving between 8c to 12c high temps. Most chip have the temp sensor or COP so until that kicks on, I would worry about it too much. Just my 2 cents.......

JoeBar 02-10-2004 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BBThumper
......from running alot of AMD chips at 50c to 55c at idle those temps don't look that bad. Abit mobos are also known for giving between 8c to 12c high temps. Most chip have the temp sensor or COP so until that kicks on, I would worry about it too much. Just my 2 cents.......
I agree on that! Being a former AMD oc'er i've seen high temps! :p
When i get my hands on prescott... :evil:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.