View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #28
Sandog

Re: Coffee Lake Gaming Build

Well Skully and FVB, thanks for posting in this thread but I have had an epiphany plus got over my 'Gotta Havvit' craze. I will not be upgrading as planned and will delete this thread soon.

Reasons are many.
  • Buying RAM that completely does not even post after dozens of tries.
  • Learning of fewer lanes, high temps\Vcore on new 8700K.
  • Parts, pieces not instock and exhorbant prices while already trying to sell old stuff.
  • Cost of upgrade, cost of water cooling, cost of new KB, cost of new speakers\mounts too much $$$$.
  • I am giving up classic special edition super high-end HEDT for what? I will get into details below.

I had 47 visits and 7 watches on my RAM when I stopped the auction after only 3 days. This Corsair RAM is the good stuff. 2400 CL12 4x8GB kit. I'm glad I found out my new RAM was bad before selling my Dominators.

Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C12 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4A2400C12)

Mobo is the definition of 'kitchen sink' and a ROG 10 Anniversary Edition. Still new basically.

Intel 750 SSD is very nice. It is long gone and the replacement sucks. It is like Intel replaced a Xeon with a cheap i3 processor. It is a very nice and smooth running SSD and still beats the 960 Pro in at least 1 category.

i7-5960X is an 8-core extreme edition with soldered HS. It does not exhibit the wild fluctuations in temp nor max temp/watts that the new Broadwell-E, Skylake-X, or Coffee Lake CPU's do and it is still highly over clockable.

So to summarize. I would be losing a very high-end set of RAM, special edition 10th anniversary mobo, smooth running Xeon-based octo-core, and an nice looking robust enterprise class 1.2TB Intel SSD card.

I really think keeping what I got is easiest by far plus just fixing the issue I am having with the heat of the VGA card. Outside the box I would like to work simultaneously on new speakers and probably picking up the Claymore KB.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS RAMPAGE V-10E / Intel i7-5960X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C12 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine HDP6's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sandog; 10-05-2017 at 08:10 PM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote