View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaiitenshi
Well, actually they _shouldn't_ be (process shrink, lower core voltage) but rumor says Intel got bitten in the a-s-s by the strained silicon technology -> faster transistors but huge leak currents
They've added cache, more pipeline stages, more logic for SSE3 and there's also an extra integer unit in there (for Yamhill no less, even though it may not use power).

There's also a new low-k dielectric that should decrease static power dissipation as compared to before. (I also believe they're using a new silicide on the polysilicon, but I'm not sure, anyway that would decrease resistance and thus some of the static power draw). So I would say it could be the added transistors rather than the process that's playing tricks on the power usage numbers. Or at least, that one can't attribute the increase to only one reason.

(I'm not sure how the gate leakage is for the strained silicon trannies. I know both Intel and AMD are thinking of high-k gate dielectric, but that's a few years into the future still.)

-kONGO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)