View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Drufuss

openSuse 11.0, smooth but not flawless.

Hi there!

Recently i installed openSuse 11.0 on my rig and to my surprise some things are working better than with previous version, some are not.

First of all i have to answer the "what exactly did he install?" question. openSuse 64-bit with gnome
I did let the installer install all the software that was automatically selected plus some extras that might be nice to have later on (i always see that createrepo, smart, opera, etc. is installed for example and everything that's listed in the readme for the ati driver installer).

First thing i did after booting the installed system for the first time was to start the ati-installer script (in a terminal window, as user root). I selected "generate distribution specific package", and so it made a nice ati-8.7-suse11.0 rpm package (checked the ati.log file in /usr/share if there was any problem).
Then copied the file into a directory called "update" on my porable hdd, where i keep all the rpm's i already downloaded from the suse 11.0 update ftp-site (and from other repositories like madwifi, etc. etc.)
After i made a repository out of that with "createrepo /media/my-portable-hdd-name/update" i used yast to add it as installation source.
With yasts un/install software function i then installed the latest madwifi and madwifi kernel modules for my kernel and the fglrx-driver from ati.
After running "aticonfig --initial" and a reboot a had hardware 3d-accelaration and enjoyed the nice 3d-effects compiz provides for your desktop.
W-lan did'nt do anything before i blacklisted the ath5k module so madwifi could do his work and provide a nice ath0 device that i was able to configure with my ESSID, WEP-key, etc. etc.
Now the w-lan conneciton to my ISDN-router/modem is working, i can connect to the router, but somehow i can't acces the internet. I tried everything i could think of (ipv6, firewall, proxie, etc.) but i can only visit my router and nothing else. And somehow the "network status" application is telling my a strange ip-address, completely different to that i have setup with yast and see with iwconfig.

And i have no sound! But after some "googling" (in win xp) i found out that 11.0 seems to have the same surprise for Audigy 2 card user like an older version had. You have to disable the digital output in the mixer to get analog sound.

That's it so far about my trip to opensuse 11.0. I may write more as i stumble upon more problems (or maybe solve some) and i'd be very happy about any suggestions regarding my w-lan and internet troubles.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]