View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Re: Windows 10

Tidbit #5: A+ Graphics driver uninstaller

Recently I had some issues with my display driver being updated automatically. In previous posts I found out how to disable automatic driver updates and even better was O&O Shut Up 10 which has an explicit option for the display driver. That fixed the auto updating Windows was doing to my 1070's original driver.

But I still have some issues. When I go to install my original 372.70WHQL drivers I would see a screen advert. to buy the 1080Ti. I wonder how a stand alone driver package dated Aug. 2016 would have this unless it is going online. This may be standard OP for NV drivers nowadays but I also did not see the NV display icon on they systray nor did I have the desktop right-click NVidia Control Panel showing and I would only see the PhysX driver showing in Programs and Features and not the display driver. Also I am sure many of you have experienced this before. If you uninstall your display driver completely through Programs and Features and reboot your machine, you see as soon as reboot that Windows has reinstalled the driver.

Well I fixed all that to. I found a good utility I recommend. It is Guru3D DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).

Downloading Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.6.0

I DL this and ran it (standalone) and selected the top option. This wipes everything clean (takes awhile) then auto reboots and disables Windows auto driver install. When I got into Windows I saw a desktop screen I had never seen before. This program removes all AMD/NVidia drivers including registry keys, folders and files, and driver store. Then I installed my drivers and all is wonderful. All aspects of the driver package are present and working. This super clean display driver install plus the two ways I posted previously to disable Windows auto driver updates and display driver updates, I am sure I am locked in now with a good driver install. Also, disabling the driver updates does not affect Windows updates, just hardware driver updates.

I really recommend running the utility above. After you install new drivers on top of old drivers over and over you might run into issues. Doing the 'Clean Install' within the driver package does not get rid of all the files and references. I will always use this proggy first if I install a new display driver.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sandog; 03-18-2017 at 11:52 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote