Re: In Praise of Far Cry 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Finished!

Played through to both endings.

63 hours to complete....Phew!

Liked....
Graphics
Firefights----excellent----just excellent!
Tactical use of terrain
unique use of fire from thrown molotovs to screen, hinder and destroy
HUGE----and I mean HUGE maps
Dragunov, AS-50 and the M-240 Grenade launcher

Disliked-----
too much travel between missions----took forever to get to some mission areas
Forget about stealth.....and stealth weapons were AWFUL
Started to get repetitious after awhile.
Friends all betrayed me in the end....... (unsettling) Sorry----I'm a simple soldier----I need good guys and bad guys.....
needed more variety in weapons-----and additional mods to existing weapons
Missions started to become.....all the same----all kind of blended together.....needed some creativity (a LOT of creativity LOL)
I only played about 20 hours of this at the time, and your assessment sounds absolutely consistent with my memory of it. I was considering replaying this recently, but you have reminded me if a couple of things that really destroyed the game for me (although i realise that you're saying it's not a bad game).

The repetition of the missions was so tedious that I almost became nauseous, when playing, and had to walk away a few times. Yet another checkpoint? yet another camp? Briefcases full of diamonds lying around. Someone is making a fortune selling briefcases out there.
A few more fortified towns would have helped, but then stealth would be required with that. The lack of stealth was a major flaw IMHO, and what a disconnect from Far Cry! A stealth option may have saved it for me.

The fire fights were good and the terrain and use of fire was brilliant, but a couple of good points couldn't make up for all the issues. The poor graphics lighting in the night scenes was also disappointing.

When I tried exploring the malaria would kick in, slapping me in the face for daring to try such a thing. I admire your perseverance with the game, but I don't think I'll go back to it.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote