ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
radeonized2

Alan Wake;

Now available for PC http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/02/14/alan-wake/ Just saw it for $30 on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/108710/

Last edited by radeonized2; 02-17-2012 at 02:01 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Alan Wake;

I cannot wait to finally play this game.
From what I've seen the PC port is spectacular and Remedy have done it right.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well I've installed this and playing through. it looks and sounds fantastic, but what I'm expecting after all the reviews is an interesting story.

Played the first part through and the only thing that's a little disappointing are the fire fights popping up so early in the game. Didn't mind the initial dream sequence but they pop up quite frequently from then on in.

I was expecting the story to develop more first before dumping me into run'n gun style fire fights. Expecting more atmosphere than action at this stage.

I did get a clue when they referenced Stephen King. He's got that in-your-face horror style (kinda like slapstick is to comedy if u know what I mean), and he's not very subtle. The game is kinda like that.

But it's only early days yet, I'll see if it improves.

Another thing, this game is similar in look and feel to Max Payne.

As usual 3rd person perspective is problematic. Character model often gets in the way and I feel like I'm sliding around when moving.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Finished "Episode 1". The story is unfolding a little along the way. It's enough to keep me interested. The gameplay, I'm happy to say, is a lot of fun.
There is something very satisfying about the flare gun

The combat AI is predictable but no less difficult for that. The NPC's use flanking so effectively that it's always a challenge. I'm on "normal level", would be worthwhile replaying on hard setting.
It feels a little like Left For Dead crossed with Rage

While the thrills and shocks are of the slapstick variety, they can be pretty effective too. A couple of times I found myself jumping at shadows, but there is far too little of that unfortunately. Just no time to be scared when you are busy shooting and reloading! This is not like Fear or STALKER as far as creepy brooding atmosphere goes, there is just not enough "quiet" time between firefights for that, which is too bad cos the game engine certainly draws a pretty picture. Maybe ep 2 will have more of that.

Can't wait to get back to it, which s a good sign that I'm enjoying it!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The thermos hunt thing is really annoying. I always hate that and a lot of games do it. Its all so contrived, tedious and stupid. Realistic graphics and immersion frequently interrupted with floating artefacts to collect, huh?

Objects like ammo are highlighted and flashing too. Please! Consolitis...

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 02-20-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
traveler
Where to next?

Checkpoints?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
Checkpoints?...
Yes. Placing of the checkpoints is ok, not too bad. Only once or twice did it get repetative.

I'll tell you whats really annoying me - no toggle for walk. Constant run is very annoying when exploring. Walk adds to the atmosphere. I've bound it to a convenient key and just have to hold it down

This game is really fun and often creepy. The atmosphere is immersive and time just flys by when I'm playing it. I like the manuscript pages thing. They kinda fill out the story. They jump around on the timeline too and often talk to the future with hints about upcoming events.

Btw, the web is so full of spoilers (the games been out for a while after all) that you cant read anything without risking major spoilers.

Something about Alan really bothers me. Seems to be a bit of a dark character although I wouldnt describe him as a noir anti-hero type.
Speaking of which, Max Payne 3 has got a bit of a challenge here.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I'm really enjoying this game and definitely recommend it!
If you like a bit of creepiness and challenge with great visuals and an intriguing story then this fits the bill!
Now if I could only find enough time to play I'd be a happy little camper...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Alan Wake..Some of you may recall when this title was touted to be the ultimate in PC gaming with the new, at the time, high dynamic range. And, it was going to be one of the first to support muti threads. Remember then there were no games that would support more then one processor core. Which is why at the time I went with a single core monster (FX-57) since it was still superior in gaming than any of the few dual cores that were out. I'm talking around 06' I believe. The trailers were beautiful and people were actually designing their next builds around this up and coming masterpiece. Well... It just never happened... Then fairly recently, they released it for the Xbox!! Talk about ultimate betrayal! So, now they have finally been so kind as to release a PC version. I had to play it, naturally, aside from my obvious resentments about the game I have only played about a half hour or so but here are a few observations. First it looks much like the trailers from 5-6 years ago. Had it come out then, it would have been the technological showpiece it was supposed to be. All that said I am enjoying it somewhat. I'm not too crazy about the spot light then shoot thing. I'll suppose I'll get used to it. Not a deal breaker. The story is moderately interesting so far though I agree with Zap in that they should have held back a bit before the "dark ones" came on en mass. I would have been happier exploring the world a bit first getting used to the 3rd person thing that is a little unorthodox. You will have to play it to know what I'm talking about exactly. It's hard to explain. Oh and we got ads! So far Lincoln auto, Energizer batteries and Microsoft Sync. Also I hope you all like cut scenes. There have been many in the short time I have been playing so far. The over all graphics are pretty good. Still though it looks like old tech that was given a fresh coat of paint. Again this would have been spectacular when it was supposed to come out. I have to play it some more before I can say much else about it. It is at least giving me something to do gaming wise right now. There hasn't been anything out in a while I have wanted to play at all.

Oh and I also agree with you Zap on that the run only is annoying. Or I guess it's more like jog only with short sprints possible (shift + W)

Last edited by SpeedDMN; 03-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: aside
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Good points SpeedDMN. The thing with the light kinda overcomes the need for a reticle which often breaks immersion in a game, so I'm ok with that.
Agree about the aging tech but I think atmosphere is king and it's not too shabby in that respect. Would have been a killer game a few years ago... However the game frequently and consistently looks great due to the amount of detail.

The product placement is often dismally distracting. My jaw dropped at one point at how intrusive it is. You'll know that moment when you see it...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

I am up to the third chapter and I gotta say I'm actually starting to have some fun with it. It does pull off a spooky feel pretty well. The character AI is actually quite good too. Yeah and the flare gun rocks I wish there was more ammo for it and you had it more often. Losing your weapons to different scenes I'm not sure how I feel about, but it does seem to work with the story. One strange problem I'm having is it doesn't let me change resolution. For what ever reason it started working and I was running it at 1920x1080 but since I upgraded to version 1.3 I'm stuck again. Anyway it's nice to have something decent to play
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Just finished it. What a great game and looks awesome on PC. Will have to replay this again and do some more exploring to find all those pages.

I liked the ending, which is a bonus, (often endings are a bit of a let down or anti-climactic), but this came together pretty well.

Its "old fashioned" in many ways, with that old faithful corridoor mechanic where you have a gunfight, then move on a ways, and then have another gunfight and so on as you progress through a linear series of levels; but the action is addictive and fun.

The best part is the atmosphere which is both immersive and creepy. The story was excellent, which is another rarity in PC games.

Well the next big one for me is Max Payne 3, and really looking forward to that. I think its apparent now after the previews that its going to have a different look and feel to the earlier Remedy games; so will approach that on the basis that its a whole new game rather than the next chapter. I think that attitude will save me any disappointment when it deviates from the formula of the orginal games.
Btw Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne remain 2 of my most favourite games of all time so Max Payne 3 has big shoes to fill.

In the meantime I believe that a replay of Alan Wake should keep me happily occupied.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I want to replay this awesome game. It has a decent story and a very spooky atmosphere. The new MP3 didn't cut it for me unfortunately. Not many games like Alan Wake and the original Max Payne around that offer sweet graphics, great story, plot and an immersive atmosphere.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I fired this up again to compare it directly with Tomb Raider, which I've just started playing a few days ago.

Alan Wake looks and feels awesome from the get go; and I think it has much better immersive atmosphere than TR. The story is much more interesting and the plot is far more original. I even tolerate the cut scenes better in this game because they're actually important to the story.

I saw this game for a few bucks recently, a total bargain for anyone who hasnt played it yet.

I guess I'll finish TR, but I must play Alan Wake at least one more time soon.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
fvbounty

You can get this game for $2.99 at Steam of Amazon today! Hurry....

Amazon.com: Alan Wake [Download]: Video Games Amazon.com: Alan Wake [Download]: Video Games

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3, Intel I7 2700K Cooled by Corsair H100, 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B, Asus GTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5, Samsung 840 EVO 500 Gig SSD W8.1 PRO, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 650D case with Corsair AX750 PS, 2X Dell UltraSharp U2412M, Corsair Vengeance K90 Mechanical keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speaker System ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Online)   Reply With Quote