ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #46
NightRhyme
Clueless.......

I got it to work. I don't know what I exactly did I just kept restarting and refreshing the"wiev workgroup computers window" and suddently it worked. Hmmm

Still would like a reply to the SMARTGART problem if anyone knows a solution.

Also. Does anyone know of an app that will confirm if FastWrites is enabled ?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #47
NightRhyme
Clueless.......

Still messing with it :-)
Almost solved all problems.
Just one remaining. Whem windows updating it fails to install 2 updates KB828035 and KB824145. I downloaded them manually and I succeded in installing KB828035 but not KB824145.
KB824145 is and internet explorer update and when trying to install it tells me that my internet explorer version is newer even though windows update scans me and finds this patch for me.

My version is internet explorer 6.0.3790.0
What is your version number after a complete windows update ?

Hope you can help me.

Thanx in advance for you advice
Old 01-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #48
NightRhyme
Clueless.......

Hmm not getting much help here
Hope I haven't offended anyone

I dare ask another question though.
Would it be preferable to install all appz in Xp compatability mode ??

Again Thanx in advance for any advice
Old 01-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #49
Ghostrider

Quote:
Originally posted by NightRhyme
Hmm not getting much help here
Hope I haven't offended anyone

I dare ask another question though.
Would it be preferable to install all appz in Xp compatability mode ??

Again Thanx in advance for any advice
1. The patch: If I use MSBA it tells me that I have some patches not installed or that the status if they are installed or not can not be determined. I reinstalled them manually: No change. I don't care because they ARE installed.
I can't install one patch (something to patch the HELP...) because I already have a newer version of the file than the patch would apply. How is this possible?! I don't know.

Nope. I can't imagine a reason to install one application in compatibility mode. IF you will have an app that can't be installed under "normal conditions" you may try that. But I don't recommend it as the usual way.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:22 PM   #50
NightRhyme
Clueless.......

Thanx so much for your help
Was beginning to think I was beeing ignored

I will follow your advice.

Thanx man
Old 01-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #51
SubZero

No NightRhyme, you are not ignored. BTW: only a couple of days between you first asked your questions and the answers given...

Best way to get an answer is to create a new thread as oposed to sticking it at the end of a big sticky thread.

I think the sticky threads are in a way confusing... at least when people post questions in them on a new problem.... Like I said, better to open up a new thread.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #52
Wiper
Enemy in my sight

Phew

After a long time and tuckloads of problems with XP I finally decided to install W2K3 Standard edition and so far I'm more than impressed.

I was sure that I wouldn't notice any difference between the two OS's (except the looks ) but I was wrong.

First, Sim City 4 Deluxe runs a lot smoother than on XP (I have no idea how it is possible anyway, since I have the same DirectX version and same videocard drivers) but what really puzzled me was the d/lling speed.

I've an ADSL connection 512k/512k and the best speeds I got with XP was 42kB/s but now I get 52kB/s .

Some other minor things I've noticed that W2K3 boots up faster, programs lauches faster and yet the OS feels lighter than XP. Okay, I haven't enabled the themes, so it might be that.

Anyway, after a week of use, I'm really pleased of the server and I hope it will be more stable than XP was.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #53
Ghostrider

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiper

I've an ADSL connection 512k/512k and the best speeds I got with XP was 42kB/s but now I get 52kB/s .
something was odd with your XP. I have an ADSL connection 768k/128k "at home" and a broadband internet connection in my flat near the University.
The ADSL transfers up to 96kB/s. I had several peaks arount 115 kB/s - the highest I've seen was 192kB/s... I think this was caused by compression / caching / bad calculations... nothing to care about. The true speed is limited at 96kB/s and I can reach that without problems - if the server is fast enough.
In my flat I reach up to 4.5MB/s. That's a lot more... All with Windows XP Professional. So it's no problem to transfer at "full speed" with XP.

But the problem you had may be caused by the automatic bandwith regulation of XP. It reserves up to 20% for system or background tasks. This might have been the problem.

Quote:

Some other minor things I've noticed that W2K3 boots up faster, programs lauches faster and yet the OS feels lighter than XP. Okay, I haven't enabled the themes, so it might be that.
Themes take some performance. The best example is ICQ 2003b... If I enable the ICQ-themes it looks nice but it is S-L-O-W.
Did you compare a FRESH installed XP with a fresh installed Win Server2003 or did you compare an older XP-installation with Windows 2003 Server?
When I compared Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition (or Web Edition) and Windows XP Professional on my Opteron I could not recognize big differences.
Quote:

Anyway, after a week of use, I'm really pleased of the server and I hope it will be more stable than XP was.
Well, XP is rock solid if the hardware is it, too. If you had some problems - did you try to run memtest86? Bad RAM may cause bluescreens / reboots / errors...
Old 05-17-2004, 12:56 AM   #54
Sierra_abx

I'm late to the party, but am having loads of fun with W2K3. Very fast and smooth.

Last edited by Sierra_abx; 09-05-2004 at 03:18 PM..
Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 PM   #55
cmay119
Can I have your title?

Sorry I don't mean to be a thread Hijacker, but is a there a way to get this OS as an OEM w/ only one license instead of 5. The cheapest I've seen this OS go for is around $450 US and that is just too expensive for my likes. Although, I understand if it isn't available for cheaper than that as it is a server OS and not a PC OS.
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 170 CCBWE 0550 UPMW | 2x1024 PC4000 Team Group Cronus I/A | MSI NX7900GT | 2x250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA RAID-0| Lian Li PC65 | PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer | Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 | Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | KDS Xtreme Flat 19" CRT
Old 10-12-2004, 06:17 AM   #56
Ghostrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay119
Sorry I don't mean to be a thread Hijacker, but is a there a way to get this OS as an OEM w/ only one license instead of 5. The cheapest I've seen this OS go for is around $450 US and that is just too expensive for my likes. Although, I understand if it isn't available for cheaper than that as it is a server OS and not a PC OS.
AFAIK there is not smaller version than that. It would not make much sense to buy a server OS without clients...
Don't get the "web edition". The "Enterprise Edition" is the best one you can get.
I have tried them all and switched back to WindowsXP. Win2003 Server on a regular desktop system does not bring advantages.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #57
Worren

I did this mod when it first came out. SP1 slides in smoothly and very little tweaking is needed. I've read so many negatives about this mod on various forums but the plain fact is that once all the work is done, you're left with an OS that runs rings around XP. The MSFN article contains a few small errors but they're easy to figure out.
I say if you want something to play around with, have a legit copy of 2003, go ahead and do it. The result is worth it.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #58
philberg

Would using Server2003 w/ these XP workstation mods enable RAID 1 mirroring? The XP Help said Windows supported Raid 0,1,5 but when I tried to enable it, Win XP Pro said it was not available on Win XP, but was on Server 2003. Bummer!

I have both, but never installed 2003. This thread makes it sound useful as a workstation. Is it really?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #59
SubZero

I assume you mean software raid right?

Here is an interesting guide:

http://www.netadmintools.com/art439.html
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 AM   #60
philberg

Yes, SW RAID 1 in WinServer2003 being used for workstation.
That is an interesting article reference. Basically shows how to create mirrored disk, and then how to remove the mirror. I would just leave it active until something breaks, and then follow the rest to recover. Thank you.