ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
switch_abx

XenSource and Microsoft to Develop Interoperability

Collaboration between XenSource and Microsoft will enable customers to virtualize Xen-enabled Linux on Windows Server. MS Longhorn with paravirtualization will be available mid 2008! Microsoft's version of paravirtualized server is codenamed Viridian. With the notoriously late Microsoft it means that it will become available not earlier than 2010.

So, just go Xen(Linux) and put Windows as a guest on a Xen system, instead of waiting until you can put Linux as guest on a Windows server. You're at least two years ahead of the game.

http://www.xensource.com/news/pr071706.html

Paravirtualized Linux on Windows Server, hmmm

That reminds me: Microsoft is becoming more and more a me-too developer, in both software as in hardware (the Pod clone under development).

Last edited by switch_abx; 07-25-2006 at 02:53 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Who cares about creating own innovations as long as you make money? I'm guessing that's what MS is thinking.

Apple is being sued by Creative for allegedly infringing on patents regarding the iPod's menu interface. Was the iPod really an innovation? There were similar hardware solutions before it as well. There are countless angles to view that particular situation from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
Jorrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch
So, just go Xen(Linux) and put Windows as a guest on a Xen system, instead of waiting until you can put Linux as guest on a Windows server. You're at least two years ahead of the game.
Last I checked there was supposedly no way to run Windows under Xen without having a special licensing agreement with MS (so you could modify some core system internals code). Has that changed? I know I saw a couple people (non-Xen developers) claimed they had done it, but didn't really explain how (or prove it).

Also this should be nicer under Vista. I believe it'll come with extra virtualization licenses so you can run multiple Vistas simultaneously.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
switch_abx

Moonlitfire, thanks for the link and the write up you made there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitfire
I did a write up a while ago on that issue to clarify it. It never got moved to the virtualization forums though. I hope this helps answer your questions.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Jorrell

Quote:
I did a write up a while ago on that issue to clarify it. It never got moved to the virtualization forums though. I hope this helps answer your questions.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531
I thought VT was supposed to help with that but I never heard whether it would be enough to do the whole job.

So has anyone got this working yet? It might be a good reason to upgrade to Conroe at home.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
switch_abx

Moonlitfire, are you planning to install 32 bit or 64 bit in on your ring0?

Quote:
I have a pentium D 930 to try it on but I haven't gotten around to messing with it yet. I'll let you know how it full virtualization with intel VT under xen works when I go do it. I would imagine it would be just as fast as vmware if not faster.

I'll probably compile xen from source to do it.