ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
TheMatrix
Asus Aficionado

chipset for ubuntu 6.06 or 7.10

As one of my new year's resolutions, I have decided to dedicate more of my time and effort this year to Linux. I am currently playing with Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.10. I have tried other distros and feel this one is OK for what I need to use (for now). I have played with OpenSUSE 10.2 and 10.3, Fedora 8, and PCLinuxOS 2007. I like OpenSUSE and Fedora latests revs.

I have already installed 6.06 on my old Dell Optiplex GX260 using an Intel 845 chipset. For the most part it is working and seems to have no problem. However, 7.10 will not launch the live CD portion! Very weird. Usually it's the newer revs that have no problem while the older revs having the issues. I can get 7.10 to run on my old S939 mobo using NF3 Ultra chipset.

I have also recently purchased a new mobo using the Nvidia 7100/630i chipset. This has me a bit nervous as I have read many not so good posts about this combo. However, to be fair the posts were not current so I don't know how it fares in today's terms. If or when I get this running, I wanted to play more with the VPN capabilities. This would make the most sense for me as I do a lot of VPN from my Windows PC to work. I'll open another topic once I can get past the installation.

My question then is, which chipset works best for Ubuntu from the get go? I prefer not to have too many hassles trying to get the install going and post installation as well.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
yamawho
Linux user

Re: chipset for ubuntu 6.06 or 7.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
However, 7.10 will not launch the live CD portion! Very weird.
Did you run md5sum after you downloaded the iso ?

Maybe you got a bad burn ... try other media and burn at a slower speed.

If you like ubuntu, give Mint 4 a try ... more things working out of the box.

Get the Main edition here ...
Linux Mint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

Could be a bad iso or a cd.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.

Most Linux distributions use kernels that are similar or the same. Those that focus on using the latest kernels like Fedora and Arch are most likely to be compatible with the latest chipsets, although any distribution should work fine with any mainstream chipset that has been out for 6 months or more. If you have hardware problems, it is more likely to have them with the video card (stick with Nvidia), wireless card (notorious), and (occasionally) optical drives.