ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Re: OpenSUSE 10.3 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
Installed today, i'm posting from Suse 10.3 now and doing some updates. Need help to mount my both Windows disks, i did a costum partition and forgot to mount my other hd's
NTFS-3G is really superb in case you didn't know this already. Writable NTFS in Linux tastes great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
FearFactory
The FC.Porto dragon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0NG0 View Post
NTFS-3G is really superb in case you didn't know this already. Writable NTFS in Linux tastes great.
Yeah, i had it on Ubuntu... forgot about that..
AMD Phenom II X2 555BE 3.2Ghz AM3 (OC x4 3.7Ghz),CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Asus M5A99X Evo , 2x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, VGA PowerColor HD6950 2GB DDR5, Asus DVDRW, Seagate 2TB SATA, Seagate 500 SATA, PSU Nox Hummer M 650W, Asus ML239 23' IPS
Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #18
FearFactory
The FC.Porto dragon!

Icons are too big and i have the same problem as always with Suse! Grub is not working, i can't boot to my Windows installation. I really don't know why, i have no problems with Mandriva, PCOSLinux or Ubuntu.
AMD Phenom II X2 555BE 3.2Ghz AM3 (OC x4 3.7Ghz),CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Asus M5A99X Evo , 2x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance, VGA PowerColor HD6950 2GB DDR5, Asus DVDRW, Seagate 2TB SATA, Seagate 500 SATA, PSU Nox Hummer M 650W, Asus ML239 23' IPS
Old 10-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
DBoone
Just call me Dave

Just moved from 10.0 up to 10.3 with a fresh install. So far so good except it doesn't recognize my monitor correctly and it isn't listed in YAST. I'll have to research a little and figure out the best approach. At least its working even if not at the resolution I prefer.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
DBoone
Just call me Dave

10.3 seems a little slower than 10.0. Also, when I go to check my display settings I get the message "Your X server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater which doesn't have any configuration yet."
Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.

It's been a while since I used 10.0, but 10.3 seems faster to boot than 10.2 and slower to shut down. Updates are the most improved item--they take 1/2 the time they used to take. Regarding the speed once it is running, it seems the same to me, but I suppose that depends at least in part what applications a person is using, as they may have updates that affect their speed as well. openSUSE 10.3 ticked me off a little when it broke the sound (for me, at least) and KTorrent won't work any more either. I am still trying to determine how to resolve those issues.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #22
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar View Post
It's been a while since I used 10.0, but 10.3 seems faster to boot than 10.2 and slower to shut down. Updates are the most improved item--they take 1/2 the time they used to take. Regarding the speed once it is running, it seems the same to me, but I suppose that depends at least in part what applications a person is using, as they may have updates that affect their speed as well. openSUSE 10.3 ticked me off a little when it broke the sound (for me, at least) and KTorrent won't work any more either. I am still trying to determine how to resolve those issues.
FYI: check out Deluge Torrent... It's surprisingly awesome.

Use
-

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #23
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
Thanks kONGO, I will do so. In the meantime, I have been using Azureus/Vuze and it is a nice application as well.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
yamawho
Linux user

I have been playing around with 10.3 gnome.
Can't seem to get the sound working ...
Did YAST and it seems to find the onboard sound and installs stuff but no sound.

Never a dull moment with suse ...

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Ah, this old thread. After upgrading GTK+ a week ago and VLC today, my 10.2 install started freezing. So I nuked it and installed Ubuntu 7.10. Snazzy. Feels faster too. And I always did like Synaptic more than YaST.

Kept /home from before and changed the UID/GID in /etc/passwd to match the openSUSE values and it's chugging along nicely.

Big plus is with the requisite libraries, all my custom debug builds of Firefox, XULRunner and Prism are running without recompilation needed. Particularly sweet, that.

Use
-

Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
XJ.

Quote:
Kept /home from before and changed the UID/GID in /etc/passwd to match the openSUSE values and it's chugging along nicely.
Hmm, that's a tad bit dis-concerting in a way.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #27
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post
Hmm, that's a tad bit dis-concerting in a way.
Why? I think it's excellent. Saves hours of mucking about with backups and restores. It's easy enough to delete any .config directories and similar if one is in that mood.

Use
-

Old 04-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #28
XJ.

Yes, but with Linux being open source, I suppose I could just move /etc/passwd to a hacked systems and have access to all of your files - without the bother of banging away at Winnt's SAM database. If I'm reading this right...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #29
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

I am root on the new install and was root on the previous. If you have root access, you already have complete control over everything so that isn't a problem per se.

If you have physical control over the HDD and you can edit /etc/passwd, that's like being root (actually, you have even more control than being "just" root) and you can just add any password hash to the file and take control that way. Or steal the files directly by getting at them form Windows, for example. That goes for Windows too.

You need full disk encryption to make sure you've total protection. I don't bother with that, though I might if I get a laptop some day.

Use
-

Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar View Post
Quote:
Thanks kONGO, I will do so. In the meantime, I have been using Azureus/Vuze and it is a nice application as well.
Let me add a belated post--I tried Deluge and even though it has a "beta" (or even alpha) release number (currently 0.5.8.9), it is small, performs well, and is easy to set up.