ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
spartacus_abx

virtualize a physical computer?

Hi, i have a physical system that i'd like to keep as is and be able to access it as and when required. I was wondering if it would be possible to take a snapshot of some kind and then run this "system" as a virtual client on another computer and if so what software would be best to carry it out?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
S.SubZero
Vista x64 User

Re: virtualize a physical computer?

Virtualbox has a facility for accessing a disk partition (ie. an existing OS) as a virtual machine, but in the case of Windows it can be messy since Windows doesn't react well to being moved between drastically different hardware.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Briton

I hate to think that the answer to this question would be remote desktop, but that's really what it sounds like your needs are. You have a second system that you need to access from your primary system from time to time--to me, this sounds like Remote Desktop would serve your purpose, though in your post you don't exactly say what you are attempting to do on the box when you do need to access it.

However, if you need to use a virtual software to remotely access the box, you can use VirtualBox--I actually prefer this over VMWare for several reasons, one of which is that is completely free and it has a few features that VMWare does not.
ASUS P5Q Pro || E8400 Wolfdale || 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1200 || MSI Radeon 4850 || AVerMedia PCIe Tuner || SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum || Zalman 750W PSU || LG GGW-H20L HD/BR Burner || Vista Ultimate 64 || Samsung 22" LCD (Desktop)

Lenovo T60p || T7600 Core 2 Duo || 3GB || 160GB || FireGL 5250 || Vista Ultimate / Backtrack (School)

Lenovo X61 || T8300 Centrino Pro || 3GB || 160GB || XP Pro (Work)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

How about using a disk image program (Ghost or similar), making an image of the HDD, then restoring it on the virtual HDD. That should work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote