ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

recovering partition table

So, I'm an idiot. A huge fat idiot. I was trying to create a bootable USB stick and instead of /dev/sdb I managed to type /dev/sda and hosed the partition table on my old trusty computer which has worked for years and years.

Bad. Very bad.

There are guides to recovering the partition table by fdisk:ing everything as it used to be.

Since I'm still in Linux, I have the info in /proc/partitions.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this?

Needless to say I'm backing up everything precious to an external drive. I have a lot of old junk on the drive so a re-install isn't a huge disaster but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

(I've read the Partition-Rescue HOWTO and have Googled, so I'm looking for advice beyond that.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
yamawho
Linux user

Re: recovering partition table

Just wondering how you made out on this one ...

Did you do a fresh install ?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

Acronis true image I belive has partition recovery. Have never used. Just bought it recently. I got tired of always searching when I need to.

I believe some of the UBCD and RescueCD and 911cd have partition recovery. Again I have never used. UBCD4WIN has a recovery tools for damaged partition.

911cd has been absorbed by Bartpe site every seach sends me back there.
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS

Last edited by rjs735; 08-25-2008 at 01:09 PM..
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

I backed up everything important to a USB HDD and never turned off the computer. It's been ticking for a week now (I've had it running for months at a time previously).

I'll probably get a second network cable and hook it up to the new computer and just rsync everything over and then format the drive. I think I'll get a housing for it with Firewire and USB. More backup space won't hurt.

It's all cool in the end. Didn't lose anything but the C: drive (apparently the mkdosfs erased the start of that partition to the point where accessing the mount would just fail) which was a 5-year-old XP install and assorted junk.

Use
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation: