ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
switch_abx

Download XenServer v5.0 Enterprise FREE of charge

Valid effective from April 1, 2009 (no this is NOT an April fools day joke) you can download from the Citrix site XenServer v5.0 free of charge and also can use it unlimited free of charge. XenServer v5.0 is an enterprise based professional hypervisor. This is not the OpenSource version of XenServer.

Download from here:
Citrix Systems - Application Delivery Infrastructure for a Dynamic World

As I stated before, this is NOT the OpenSource version, but the Enterprise version, for which you had to pay previously. Citrix offered three versions before. They have abandoned to offer three for pay versions and instead now offer the full version free of charge (for which you had to pay at least USD 2000,- or so). Don't ask me why Citrix decided to change their strategy. I only can speculate (VMware's ESX monopolistic position?). May be the market entry threshold was too high for Citrix to gain significant market share? Please note that Citrix will possibly off-set their loss in sales by offering for sale add-in / add-ons for XenServer (mainly for the Administrator).

XenServer is a 64-bit bare metal hypervisor, running VM's for Linux, Windows 32-bit and Windows 64-bit.

XenServer uses the native Microsoft drivers in the VMs, as opposed to the proprietery drivers written by VMware for ESX. This is a big advantage over ESX.

Last edited by switch_abx; 04-13-2009 at 07:10 PM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
switch_abx

Re: Download XenServer v5.0 Enterprise FREE of charge

XenServer v5.5. has been announced, "New 5.5 Release of XenServer Raises the Bar on Free Virtualization":

Citrix Systems » Citrix Upgrades Server Virtualization Product Lines for XenServer and Hyper-V
Old 06-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
switch_abx

You can download now Citrix XenServer v5.5.0 from Citrix's site:

Download Citrix XenServer
Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
switch_abx

Well, I have had too many bad experiences with Citrix, that I strongly recommend to look for alternatives, like VMWare and Hyper-V. This company is so lousy in responding to simple requests and above all they just don't care with prospective customers. I had scheduled a meeting with a Technical guy in their European Headoffice (about an hour driving), and just 15 minutes before the meeting, I got a call from a secretary saying, that the man had to leave. Without really mentioning a plausible reason.

But customer services of Citrix enraged me today. I e-mailed these guys with a simple question and I just received blabla e-mails, like coming from a recorder.

So, I tried to call the US Head office in Fort Lauderdale to complain. Computer assisted voice attendant, you know, until it was ringing: no one picked up the phone, just ringing eternally. Marketing support department of thje head office of Citrix. ringin, ringing. I attempted it three times.

So, keep Citrix at bay. Don't buy Citrix.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch_abx View Post
Well, I have had too many bad experiences with Citrix, that I strongly recommend to look for alternatives, like VMWare and Hyper-V. This company is so lousy in responding to simple requests and above all they just don't care with prospective customers. I had scheduled a meeting with a Technical guy in their European Headoffice (about an hour driving), and just 15 minutes before the meeting, I got a call from a secretary saying, that the man had to leave. Without really mentioning a plausible reason.

But customer services of Citrix enraged me today. I e-mailed these guys with a simple question and I just received blabla e-mails, like coming from a recorder.

So, I tried to call the US Head office in Fort Lauderdale to complain. Computer assisted voice attendant, you know, until it was ringing: no one picked up the phone, just ringing eternally. Marketing support department of thje head office of Citrix. ringin, ringing. I attempted it three times.

So, keep Citrix at bay. Don't buy Citrix.
Sorry you had such trouble with Citrix.....
On the other hand thanks for the heads-up, and will shy away from Citrix.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.