ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
derm318

moving everything from an XP machine to a Vista machine?

I am about to purchase a new computer and wish to produce a duplicate of my old XP machine on my new Windows Vista machine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
crabby
Super Moderator

Do you mean to run opposite Vista? As in a dual boot? Is the hard drive with XP on available to the new computer?

If so, when you get the new PC put the XP hard drive in, then use your XP disk to repair the XP install so that the kernel will work with your new hardware. IF YOU YOU JUST REPAIR IT WILL NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR FILES. Then use your Vista disk to repair the bootloader so you have the option of booting to both.

If you just want all your stuff on Vista use the Windows Easy Transfer feature.

When you come to actually doing this, let us know which method you want and we can make a detailed step by step for you

crabby
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
derm318

moving everything from an XP machine to a Vista machnine

I want to transfer all of my data, including all settings, preferences, etc and the software applications if possible, from my current XP machine to a new Windows Vista machine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Norm
Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
crabby
Super Moderator

Just you the easy transfer wizard then. It keeps everything that it is possible to keep intact.

Just boot into Vista and open up the easy windows transfer and it take you step by step through the process.

Keep us informed!

crabby
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
derm318

mounting everything from an XP machine to a Vista machine

I have copied my files from my old computer onto an external hard drive using Easy File Transfer. When I open Easy File Transfer on my new computer and attempt to do the transfer, the program says it does not see the backup file on my external drive. The file was named on my XP File Transfer program: USMT2.UNC. Apparently, this name is not recognized by the Vista OS. How do I get this to work?

Norm
Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
crabby
Super Moderator

You have used the XP Easy Transfer Wizard... but you need to use the Vista one!

Just put the Vista disk in the XP computer and select "Transfer files and settings from another computer."

This will create a .mig backup which can then be recognised in Vista!

Let me know how it goes.

crabby
Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
derm318

Do you mean the install disc for Vista OS?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
crabby
Super Moderator

Yes.

crabby
Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 AM   #9
marshtric

u can simply upgrade to vista
if ur having xp. put the vista dvd
and process on upgrading
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
vg335258

Red face Very cool article you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

Very cool article you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!___________________________________________________________________Runescape MoneyRunescape GoldDofus Kamas
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
bcde729

Arrow World of Warcraft Auction House Mule

A mule is a low level character who works at the Auction House to make you wow gold. The process goes like this: you log into World of Warcraft, play with your characters and when you are to log off, you go to the nearest mail box and mail all that is to be sold in the Auction House to your mule.Then your mule will receive everything and go to the Auction House putting it to sell. It will also be this mule that will check for bargains and monitor the market. It is as if the Auction House is a separate game that you are playing with a separate character.When choosing the mule's race, there are a few factors to take into consideration: how close is the mail box to the Auction House in their capital, how well do you know it, how much lag there is...A mule should be a character you start from scratch - a level one character that you run to the main city, still in level one. This prevents you from even thinking about leveling that character later on and keeps you focused on wow gold making.It should have a normal name, because many players won't buy your auctions if you name your mule "Mule" or "Banker".Other than that, you choose which is better, though I've found Humans for the Alliance and Undead for the Horde quite good.You will probably ask how to use a mule. Well, using a mule is simple. It starts with you playing your main character and collecting things to sell in the auction house. When you want to stop playing, mail those things to your mule.Your mule should follow these steps: sell the things you collected; scan the Auction House for Bargains; monopolize markets and monitor the market. It won't usually be necessary for you to send world of warcraft gold to your main, because it will be getting enough from quests and vendor trash. However, if the necessarily does arise, send it just what it needs - don't be tempted to waste your gold in wow.What are some advanced techniques with mules? A very profitable technique is to create cross-faction mules. This means creating a mule on the opposite faction and a mule on a cross-faction auction house. You would then trade between those mules to sell items on the two factions, as some items sell much better on one than the other.Another technique is to have an enchanter and leatherworking mule, which can profit from items that don't sell that can be disenchanted and from combining ruined leather scraps to form light leather.Using more than one mule is another technique, useful to when you monopolize a market but don't want the player to know it and to overcome the wow gold cap.World of Warcraft Auction House Mule

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #12
arnold

If so, when you get the new PC put the XP hard drive in, then use your XP disk to repair the XP install so that the kernel will work with your new hardware. IF YOU YOU JUST REPAIR IT WILL NOT DELETE ANY OF YOUR FILES. Then use your Vista disk to repair the bootloader so you have the option of booting to both.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
nsk

Talking fag bearing

Tianjin Narui Bearing Co., Ltd. is a professional bearing suppliers, mainly engaged in the import and export business bearing. Bearing in China more than the manufacturer's support, the provision of nine major categories bearings, bearing more than 500 kinds of models of service. Bearing main types: ball bearings, deep groove ball bearings, roller bearings, tapered roller bearings and cylindrical roller bearings, spherical bearing, thrust bearings, spherical roller bearings, needle roller bearings, and so on. Acting at the same time we also all countries in the world bearing brand advantages, such as: SKF Bearings, FAG bearings, NSK Bearings, TIMKEN Bearing Our advantages: bearing the full range, price concessions, ensure the quality, service-oriented late. If you are interested in our products, welcome to contact us and look forward to hearing from you.