ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Sully

Windows Vista log in problem

I need to log in every time I go to a new site. For example, I log in to gmail and I type in my username and password, then click the link to stay logged in. I move to another site, and when I return to gmail a few minutes later I must log in again. This is so for every site where a password and username is required. It's getting to be a pain in the neck.

This started only a few days ago, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary that happened that might have caused it.

Doesn't matter if I use IE or Firefox.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions/advice.

Many thanks,

Sully
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Re: Windows Vista log in problem

The only thing I can think of is that your privacy settings relating to cookies somehow got changed, for both IE and FF.

In IE8 go to Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab. I have the slider set to "Medium," which I think is the default and which works fine at most sites.

In FF go to Tools/Options/Privacy tab. I have "accept cookies from sites" and "accept third party cookies" both checked, and "keep until" is set to "they expire."

Regards,
-- Al
Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
XJ.

Same thing started happening to me this summer. I haven't found a fix for it yet, but I haven't looked too hard. I was thinking that I'd expose all my user names and passwords in FF and take screen shots of them. Then I could clean everything out (maybe even re-installing) and see if that works. But it's worth searching online first in case it's an easy fix.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Sully

Thanks Al and XJ. I'll check the privacy settings and see what happens.