ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
mindx2

A Win 98 virtual drive

I'm an avid retro gamer and collector but have run into problems getting some of these games to work. Now I am very familiar with DosBox and ScummVM to get my Dos games running. However, it's the games that fall in between Dos and WinXP that I'm running into difficulties. Some games that used old Quicktime software or have 16-bit installers just won't run on my Win7 64bit rig. So I'm thinking about setting up a Virtual drive running Win98 SE as this seems like the most stable for these era of games. I purchased a new copy of Win98 SE off of ebay for cheap and will be setting it up once I receive it. Before it gets here I'd like to be as familiar with the setup of this virtual drive as possible.

So my question is does anyone have a site for me to visit that has an easy step by step setup for a Win98 SE virtual drive? What are the pros and cons? What should I avoid so I don't wreck my Win7 install?

Any help is always greatly appreciated !!
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3 / Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) / 2 x EVGA 2GB GTX 560 PCI-e / Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III / WD VelociRaptor 500GB / 2 Western Digital Green 500GB SATA / Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI-e / SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA / NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black Steel ATX Full Tower / CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W / ViewSonic VA243wm LCD / Windows 7 Home Premium- 64
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
JBNimble
Renaissance Man

Re: A Win 98 virtual drive

Since I've never used, and don't trust System Restore, I always clone my entire drive to another drive before making major changes. After cloning and before potentially nuking the primary drive, I boot off the clone to verify all's well. Since I generally clone to a drive in an external dock, all that's necessary is to pull the data cable off the internal drive (power off). The system will then boot off the external drive.

Of course, this requires another drive. 500GB drives are around $40 now. How much is your time worth to rebuild an entire system?

I use True Image/Clone, running it from a CD, not from the hard drive. Norton Ghost can also clone entire drives. I believe there are free cloning programs out there; I've never tried them.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
JBNimble
Renaissance Man

Have you tried running in a command.com window?

C:\windows\system32\command.com

I am able to run a 1991 DOS program in a command.com window in XP 32-bit and W7 32-bit. W7 64-bit does not have command.com.

I place a an icon on the desktop for command.com. To make the software work, it is often necessary to modify its properties. In my case, in the Memory tab.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
mindx2

I don't have any problems running Dos programs as I am very familiar with DosBox. It's the programs that originally ran on Win95, Win98, and WinXP (32-bit only). I have Win7 64-bit installed and was wondering about a virtual drive running Win98SE.
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3 / Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) / 2 x EVGA 2GB GTX 560 PCI-e / Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III / WD VelociRaptor 500GB / 2 Western Digital Green 500GB SATA / Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI-e / SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA / NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black Steel ATX Full Tower / CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W / ViewSonic VA243wm LCD / Windows 7 Home Premium- 64
Old 04-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
traveler
Where to next?

Interesting.

Good luck. I hope it works. It would be nice.

I have always run my win98se programs on a dedicated win98se box. Not so much to run the software but to use the win98se capable hardware. So far nothing on a modern computer compares to running graphics in native GLIDE, for example.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
mindx2

Well, I install Windows Virtual PC without any problems. Once it rebooted I setup a virtual HD on my E: drive as I didn't want it on my primary Win7 drive C:. I named it Win98SEVirtual and set it to automatically expand as I load programs and with 256mb of ram. I also set it to not have any networking capabilities because I won't go onto the net using it. Better safe than sorry. It started up in a window and asked for a boot disk. I put in my new Win98SE disk and it started to whole install process. That certainly brought back memories ! Everything loaded great and I tried to install my first game. I chose LucasArts Outlaws as this game has a 16-bit installer and will NOT load in Win7 64-bit. I put the disk in and the install screen came up. Clicked it and it was on my virtual machine in less than two minutes! I clicked play and YEAH!!!!! it started . Only problem is the cut scenes play way too fast and there are a couple of graphical glitched but those I'm sure I can fix. It's like having a Windows version of DosBox and I love it!!!

My only problem so far is I cannot figure out how to make it full screen?!!! Does anybody here know how? I've looked everywhere online but all the "keyboard combos" they say to press doesn't do anything. My host machines resolution is at 1680x1050 and wonder if this is the problem... any thoughts?

Regardless, I can now install and play many of my old windows games I just couldn't get to work on Win7!

Well I'm off to installing!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
mcmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindx2 View Post
My only problem so far is I cannot figure out how to make it full screen?!!! Does anybody here know how? I've looked everywhere online but all the "keyboard combos" they say to press doesn't do anything. My host machines resolution is at 1680x1050 and wonder if this is the problem... any thoughts?
Congrats on your success in getting a virtual Win98 session working in Win7!

Try here: How can I get a full-screen view in Windows Virtual PC?

You should be able to setup the win98 session in full screen mode by changing the properties of the .vmc file.

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy the weekend and your "new" Win98 computer!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
mindx2

Found it! It's Ctrl+Alt+Break. It "black boxes" the screen and I have to resize it. Unfortunately, the virtual machine uses a S3 Trio32/64 PCI adapter/ driver. I can only get 16-bit color at 1280x1024. I'll have to play around and see if it's possible to load other drivers related to my vid card to increase color depth/ resolution.

... but I'm happy to have a larger screen size!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
traveler
Where to next?

Great to hear things are going in the right direction!!!