ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Microsoft Update Server Questions

Anybody know anything about Microsoft Update Server??

The reason I am asking is that I am in a bit of a pis3#$%^ contest with our school IT folks over a need to temporarily shut that puppy down.....

At least for a month during Virginia's high stakes Standards Of Learning testing.

We are basically graded on our schools test performance and I want NOTHING to interfere with the testing.

We use approx 160 laptops pulled out of carts and logged in under a special "testing" login that restricts access to only the School test site.

The problem is PATCHES and UPDATES. They caused absolute havoc earlier in the year when we took some practice tests and Microsoft had released a huge number of patches during a "Patch Tuesday"

Given our wireless bandwidth----and that the patches required a seemingly endless time to load----and also required a reboot----and then sat there "updating"

Well----needless to say we had a tremendous amount of frustration. I saw a drop in practice scores and both kids and teacher's complained. Not to mention it took FOREVER to administer the test that day.

I DO NOT want that situation again----especially when it is "game time" for all the marbles.....

Yet our IT Department absolutely refuses to do anything about this---they want that server to run normally citing "security interests"....

I say just shut the thing off for a month and we can catch up on patches AFTER high stakes testing.....

Or.....

They can just shut off patching to computers logged in under the special test login.....

I fail to see the big problem here and it is as if the IT guys couldn't care less whether a child does well on this test or not....

Not THEIR problem.....but it IS the school and the school district's problem. Woe be it if the school system or the school's scores drop.....the politicians have a field day.

Plus----does the tiny security risk involved not having this or that patch outweigh the biggest event a school can do in it's schoolyear??

I just don't think so....I think they are being bull headed and stupid on this----and even smirk----as the test scores will not effect them directly like they will us teachers.....

Advice welcome....

At the very least----just shut off the capability to the testing login....

am I wrong??
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
radeonized2

Re: Microsoft Update Server Questions

They do not have any concept of how MS updates? It has been very rare that they relaese any patches before the 2nd Tuesday of the month. I have mine (automatic update)disabled. At 1:00PM/ET on the second Tuesday I manually go to MS update site and get the patches. No problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

They are typical "NO" IT folks.......

Ask and the answer will be NO!

They could do this easily.....the same "Group Policy" that they have set up in Active Directory for the Testing Only login----with all the lockdowns included in that specific policy----would simply shut off MS Updates....

I just don't get it....

They are supposed to SUPPORT us....not hinder and make our lives difficult----and worse----cause our students to not perform as well as they could.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to these darn high stakes, state-wide tests.
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
radeonized2

I have run into this before. Because I only have a high school diploma and they have a BS or whatever they have, maybe a masters or even a doctorate that makes it (automatic) that they know more than me. Abraham Lincoln did not go to college. No I am not comparing myself with Lincoln. This may sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I did score in the mid 150's on an I.Q. test.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

In my case----they think I'm just a dumb old ex soldier....

and they'd be partially right.

The only thing I would add is that I am a dumb old LIVING ex-soldier

so I musta done SOMETHING right...LOL

Their lack of understanding what goes on daily in an actual school astounds me.....and when a questioning voice is raised---they can get close to hostile.....

Don't care----am running an official letter up the chain next week. if the School Superintendent can live with possible lower test scores because of this---then I'm fine with it.

Problem is----I am almost positive the superintendent has not made this decision (In fact----I will bet he doesn't even know of the problem) and a Tech person----with no stake in the test results has made it....
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Leroy7908

The problem is PATCHES and UPDATES. They caused absolute havoc earlier in the year when we took some practice tests and Microsoft had released a huge number of patches during a "Patch Tuesday
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Anybody know anything about Microsoft Update Server??
Yes. You'll be trading one hairball for another - at least initially. It would be better if you could pilot WSUS over the summer. Since you are running AD, just push a new GP out that is applicable to all accounts. If a really critical patch comes out you may be able to push it out with your AV software (some commercial AV servers have this functionality. There are some other ways if this won't work for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Asus P6T V2 Deluxe Ci7 970 @ 4.2GHz w/HT, Corsair H100i, 2x240GB SanDisk Extreme RAID0, 2x WD VR 300GB RAID0, MSI GTX 680 PE @ 1110MHz, 12GB G.Skill Riojaws DDR3 1600, Corair 850HX, Corsair 800D case. Win7 x64 Ultimate. Dell U2412M.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonized2 View Post
...Abraham Lincoln did not go to college...
This could be a whole topic all by itself. Plenty of examples of "self made" men and women.
Fundamentals is so important but without the experience of practice it's all so much theory and knowledge acquired by rote rather than the enlightenment of discovery. But obviously education smooths the road to authentic knowledge acquired by discovery.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
...They could do this easily.....the same "Group Policy" that they have set up in Active Directory for the Testing Only login----with all the lockdowns included in that specific policy----would simply shut off MS Updates...
This sounds like a viable alternative.
I'm curious to hear how your letter is received.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus F1A75-V Pro, AMD A8-3870K, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus EAH6670 1GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD