ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
spicy14lingo

kinda worried about my personal info

So I have a question my doctor sent some of my medical information by text to another doctor and my doctor lost his phone. He told me that he had to tell me that he lost his phone because it may have had my patient info in it and the HIPAA law means he has to tell me.

I did some googling and from what I can tell doctors are not supposed to text info, since the messages are copied and stored on the phone and can be hacked so doctors who text patent info can violate HIPAA. Since my doctor lost his phone, can I sue him?

There is this Tigertext which is a phone app that deletes the text messages so it meets HIPAA requirements, but then why arenít all the doctors using it?

Healthcare | | TigerTextTigerText

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Sir Skully
ABX KNIGHT EXEMPLAR

Re: kinda worried about my personal info

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy14lingo View Post
So I have a question my doctor sent some of my medical information by text to another doctor and my doctor lost his phone. He told me that he had to tell me that he lost his phone because it may have had my patient info in it and the HIPAA law means he has to tell me.

I did some googling and from what I can tell doctors are not supposed to text info, since the messages are copied and stored on the phone and can be hacked so doctors who text patent info can violate HIPAA. Since my doctor lost his phone, can I sue him?

There is this Tigertext which is a phone app that deletes the text messages so it meets HIPAA requirements, but then why arenít all the doctors using it?

Yeah ya can sue anyone...
Either they don't know about the app or just don't care...
GPU= Evga...GTX 780 Ti sc
Drives= Samsung 2X512gig 840 pro RAID-0
Storage= SeaGate 1TB
PSU=Corsair HX1000
Case=MM UFO
Cooling=Water cooling 2x Loops
Monitor=Dell UltraSharp U2711
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
Drufuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy14lingo View Post

So what are you more worried about?
That your personal info can be used by a stranger who finds the phone (everyone asking "how are you" can have a full report on my medical situation from me, i don't care, but i understand that this is a different situation)
or that you may miss the chance to sue him?

Greetings

Dru
4 x 2GB DDR2-Ram PC2-1066 Corsair Dominator @ 800MHz
OCZ Vertex3 60 GB
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB
WD Caviar green 2 TB SATA-II (watercooled)
NVidia GeForce GTX670 DC2T 2GD5 (watercooled)
Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Hauppauge HVR4000 DVB-S/S2/T, Dlink DWL-G510, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Modu82+ 625W
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..šh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
johneszterhazi

I do some work at a local hospital, helping them with their accounting software.

Last time I was there, they had me help them teach the doctors how to load a few different apps on thier phones. One of them was Tigertext, and we talked alot about having to talk about the HIPAA issue you mention.

The hospitals biggest fear is law suit about HIPAA violations, especially when a doctor loses his phone and if it has x-rays and patient info on it, the law says he must tell all his patients that their data is lost.

At that point, they may want to sue him, if that happens, and from what I understand that has happened.

This tigertext seems to solve the issue from that legal point. I downloaded it on to my phone and tried it as part of my training, and it seems easy to use, and the messages do delete (I set them for 24 hour delete) so it is a nice security app for your phone.

I don't think you should be worried that your doctor loses his phone, and someone hacks it just so they can get your patient info, I don't think that is what the main issue is.

On the other hand, if you are Justin Bieber; and your doctor loses his phone after he texted the results of your AIDS tests to another doctor - and the person who found it hacks the phone and sells the info to the paparazzi... then Justin Bieber would hope that his doctor used Tigertext and so the message would have self deleted before they can hack the phone.

Just saying if...

Last edited by johneszterhazi; 04-04-2012 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: sppeling