ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Google Glass

I was just thinking about how this new device may change our lives.
Given, for instance, the impact the iPad has had so far I would expect something like Google Glass to have a big impact as well.

If you haven't seen this yet, check out this

It's going to have to prioritise information to display very carefully. It couldn't be the case that when you look at something a wiki page pops up with all the history of it because that would be very distracting. On the other hand you would need a way to access that information on demand. I noticed the voice assist where the user speaks instructions which causes information to display.

The other obvious issue will be advertising; I can see the advertisers salivating at the thought of suspending images of their products in front of us.
I can imagine a model where they offer discounts or points if we agree to accept such ads. Walking through a shopping center would be like walking through a virtual shopping catalogue.

Education would be impacted, this would have major uses in a classroom environment for teachers.

At work this would probably replace power points and town-halls (thank goodness). Information about what our colleagues are currently tasked with would be available just by looking at them. Ditto for managers who could see current status and file notes by looking at their subordinates.

Law enforcement of course would utilize this with facial recognition when patrolling public spaces. Information that could popup could be about any traffic fine details, criminal history and name address details just by looking at you.
Wow, thus has endless possibilities.

Privacy could be big problem. Your Facebook, linked in and other social media site profile information could all be available to the guy sitting next to you on the train. Or driving the car in the next lane.
"what are u looking at?" takes on a whole new meaning.

What about the images getting in the way of our vision? Will people walk out in front of traffic while formatting emails, work documents and tweets?
Will we bump into each other more often?

I like the idea of virtual art or aesthetic items appearing in our field view in our homes. Want to hang the Mona Lisa in your hallway? Or how about put a virtual window there tomorrow? No need to cut holes in the walls anymore (except for doors).

Who needs holograms when you have this? Want to have dinner with your friends, then just invite them for a virtual visit. Or take them for a virtual trip, shopping or movies. The software could project their image in place in your house, perhaps sitting in your lounge.

No doubt retina scan could be used for authentication so no one else can use your device. It seems big brother will know everything we say or do or even see with this network in place in the cloud.

Entertainment would of course be a very different experience. I like the idea of virtual reality games, where the game world would be projected around you. That would make games like Alan Wake pretty scary.

It seems to me that there are many possibilities and this would have to be a major game changer.
Will I be getting one? You betcha!
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 04-08-2012 at 07:45 PM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Re: Google Glass

Cool and scary.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus F1A75-V Pro, AMD A8-3870K, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus EAH6670 1GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Google Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Cool and scary.
Yes, and not far off. 12 months is one prediction, so we better start thinking about it.
Windows 8 and tablets will be obsoleted by this overnight.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."