ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

iPhone 5 and other rumors

So I hear that the iPhone 5 may be out in October.
If true then I sure hope it can support our 4G networks here, unlike the recent iPad 3 release. They claimed 4G in their advertising of the new iPad but with small print to exclude Australian networks. That has created a big false advertising case here which resulted in Apple having to modify its advertising.

I also hear of a smaller format iPad, something like the Kindle Fire.
That makes a lot of sense because one negative to the iPad is that I need to carry it around like a little handbag which is a bit inconvenient with some negative connotations in some quarters as well.

I don't like the idea of having to buy yet another mobile device, but if it fits in my jacket pocket while giving me a good browsing/email client then I'll be in.
My iPod just doesn't cut it, the screen being a tad too small.

I wish they would hurry up with flexible expanding screen technology so that we can enjoy large screen size with easy portability.

Apart from me would anyone consider a new iPad like this or a Fire?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Re: iPhone 5 and other rumors

I wonder if my Android would work there in 4G. I guess it depends on the radio. Here it's 4G LTE. 4G LTE:14 is what it says on my Bionic under "Mobile Network Type", whatever that means. It is amazingly fast. I get almost 2 Mb/s down and almost 1 Mb/s up (bytes). It's about 10 times faster than 3G. I don't know.. To me why the hell would you pay much more for a data/usage plan for a 3G Iphone then you would for a 4G Android? The IOS used to have some nifty features, but phones with Android 4.0 (or ICS) blow Iphone away IMHO. ICS is an extremely well written OS. Very intuitive and just plain beautiful. I am running an ICS Rom for the Bionic from TeamGummy. They are awesome devs! Everything works except the camcorder and barcode scanner. Even though those are kinda major flaws, I am still running the ICS Rom since it is so much more beautiful then Gingerbread. I switch back to an Eclipse Rom built with a Gingerbread base. Yeah I actually dual boot a cell phone lol. My wife's son just bought a new Galaxy Nexus with ICS native. It is so much more beautiful, powerful, and connectible then the Iphone 4S it's not even funny. Not to mention removable storage (SD) Apple better get with the times. It is the iconic name that is selling their products right now. Eventually people are going to wake up and say, "wait a minute, this Android is better and cheaper!"
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

The gentleman representing the Loyal Opposition respectfully disagrees......

The problem is....no two Android phones or device OSs are alike.....

And believe me....not all people....in fact, a VERY few, want to run custom ROMs and play with their Smart Phones.....

They just want something easy....that makes sense and WORKS....

And this is where Apple has excelled....
Elegant devices matched with easy software the WORKS. And especially works with ALL other Apple devices (except Mac LOL).

And Apple has integrated the cloud far better than ANYONE. Others showed slides and talked about cloud integration.....Apple DID cloud integration and it works EXTREMELY well. iCloud sets Apple software far above anything else out there and with innovations like iTunes Match and PhotoStream it is a delight to use.....it just WORKS....on ALL devices.

I have 100 faculty members in my school......daily I have teachers bring me phones to help them get it set up on our school system's Exchange Server
It is a total nightmare for me with Android.....I always get it done.....but it ALWAYS takes me forever to figure it out on this phone or that.....an Apple iPhone takes me 2 minutes max----and it is always the same procedure.....
I may seem like an Apple Homer as I write this.....but I'm not....I just like a good concept, decent hardware, easy to use and WORKS.....

I don't care if it's 3G or 4G or 55G....or whether it has dual or quad CPU or whether it has a bezillion pixels or not (well, OK I kinda do care about this one....the iPad3 Retina Screen is just plain.....NICE!)

It just has to meet my needs well.....

i Products from Apple do that exceptionally well......

And if they continue to do that....I will buy them.....as I suspect others will as well.

SOMEBODY has to get a handle on Android and standardize it across all devices or it will never have the appeal to the common user that iproducts do.....

At least, that is the way I see it.....

But what do I know....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDMN View Post
I wonder if my Android would work there in 4G. I guess it depends on the radio. Here it's 4G LTE. 4G LTE:14 is what it says on my Bionic under "Mobile Network Type", whatever that means. It is amazingly fast. I get almost 2 Mb/s down and almost 1 Mb/s up (bytes). It's about 10 times faster than 3G. I don't know.. To me why the hell would you pay much more for a data/usage plan for a 3G Iphone then you would for a 4G Android? The IOS used to have some nifty features, but phones with Android 4.0 (or ICS) blow Iphone away IMHO. ICS is an extremely well written OS. Very intuitive and just plain beautiful. I am running an ICS Rom for the Bionic from TeamGummy. They are awesome devs! Everything works except the camcorder and barcode scanner. Even though those are kinda major flaws, I am still running the ICS Rom since it is so much more beautiful then Gingerbread. I switch back to an Eclipse Rom built with a Gingerbread base. Yeah I actually dual boot a cell phone lol. My wife's son just bought a new Galaxy Nexus with ICS native. It is so much more beautiful, powerful, and connectible then the Iphone 4S it's not even funny. Not to mention removable storage (SD) Apple better get with the times. It is the iconic name that is selling their products right now. Eventually people are going to wake up and say, "wait a minute, this Android is better and cheaper!"
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Well we will have to agree to disagree then Still friends though I realize rooting and roming are above most people's skill sets never mind desires, and yes your right. The Android OS has to be tailored for each specific device. I would think iOS would be about the same. I mean how would you know, you can't really change anything on an apple device? Really it's the same as any other OS including windows, in that it has to have the drivers on board to run specific hardware. Windows is only different in that it has tons of drivers built into the OS ready to install as soon as it recognizes a piece of hardware. I'm sure most of us will recall that was not always so. It used to be pretty painstaking to manually install most of the drivers for any given build. I still say Apple better hang on to some of that cash. As far as I'm concerned the competition has already passed them..

P.S. My Bionic has it's own cloud system called Zumocast. It works flawlessly so long as I have a connection. I can stream movies, music, whatever from my home PC. HD movies don't quite make it through 3G though. It will stop and have to buffer. I would like to see an Iphone stream any movie though 3G