ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

PC sales up

I noticed that Gartner said recently that PC sales were up 1.9% which is a lot better than the 4% decline that some had forecast. This in turn has lifted sales for Microsoft as well.

This got me wondering about PC use. In my house the PC has become reduced to gaming and some minor development.
Business apps now reside on a laptop which provides portability as well as doubling as a desktop for longer bookwork intensive sessions. I can attach a big screen and keyboard as necessary for those sessions.
Browsing and "keeping in touch" is now mostly done on my iPad and phone.

Back in the day the PC did everything, and I did a lot more development in those days too. If I was still doing that kind of work I guess I'd use the PC. I notice that students seem to use laptops these days.

So I dk whats driving PC sales at this sustained rate.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Re: PC sales up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
...So I dk whats driving PC sales at this sustained rate.
late 'great generation' and early 'baby boomers' using facebook?
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus F1A75-V Pro, AMD A8-3870K, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Maybe. Or maybe a generation of PC's has reached that point in their lifecycle that they're due to be replaced and combined with lowered prices its pulling those customers in?
I dk, unfortunately there isn't much data available. I haven't heard anything anecdotally either.

Could be a statistical glitch.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Interesting....

And good news for MS....

My hope is that Windows 8 will NOT be such a bomb.....that folks start to walk away from PCs in droves.....

But if the learning curve is as big as what I've seen so far.....PC sales will plummet....why buy a new PC just to learn a new OS when a tablet or other mobile device will do just fine....

If I have to learn something new----it might as well be newer, smaller, better battery life and completely mobile.

I know MS is claiming that what Win 8 is....mobile.....but what's it gonna run on that people will actually BUY???

I think the trend to mobile is inevitable......but if MS plays it's cards right....they can survive and keep the PC market viable for a long time.....

But it's a big if....
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
...but what's it gonna run on that people will actually BUY???...
MS still has a major presence in business on the desktops and servers and AD.
The cloud threatens that. I like the idea of using tablets in the office instead of laptops, once the apps are in place. (speaking of which, it seems we are going back to dumbed down clients with centralized IT services... Just substitute "cloud" for "mainframe" and it seems to be the same model).

I worry about my beloved PC gaming. I've seen nothing on console or tablet that can compete with it. There is something fundamentally different between an untouchable monitor fixed in place in front of you like a portal or crystal ball into other worlds and a device that bobs and floats around in our hands that we angle from moment to moment towards our heads, smudged finger prints and all. It's just too familiar somehow to be mysterious.

Maybe this is a throwback to all those millennia of staring into the fire and dreaming mysterious dreams? Holding the fire somehow reduces it to something less powerful.

"You Cannot Hide..."