ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

What's with the bots?

1. Why do they all have Indian names?
2. Can they be stopped from registering and spamming?
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Re: What's with the bots?

Hi Sammy,

In general those are not bots, they are individuals spamming manually. The forum has automated protection mechanisms that prevent most automated spambots from registering, although some get through here and there. The automated spambots usually choose lengthy nonsensical screen names, to minimize the likelihood that the name will already have been taken. Without those protection mechanisms, there would be dozens of spambots per day, as previous experience has shown.

A lot of the spamming is done for SEO purposes, to optimize placement of some website in search engine results.

I usually ban about 2 or 3 or so each day, and delete any posts they may have made. In many cases they don't post, and list the site they are promoting in their profile instead.

A lot of them are in India, but several other countries are well represented too.

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctal View Post
Hi Sammy,

In general those are not bots, they are individuals spamming manually. The forum has automated protection mechanisms that prevent most automated spambots from registering, although some get through here and there. The automated spambots usually choose lengthy nonsensical screen names, to minimize the likelihood that the name will already have been taken. Without those protection mechanisms, there would be dozens of spambots per day, as previous experience has shown.

A lot of the spamming is done for SEO purposes, to optimize placement of some website in search engine results.

I usually ban about 2 or 3 or so each day, and delete any posts they may have made. In many cases they don't post, and list the site they are promoting in their profile instead.

A lot of them are in India, but several other countries are well represented too.

Best regards,
-- Al
Ah, thanks for that update Al. Just something I'd been noticing lately. Trust things are great otherwise.

Cheers,

Sammy
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Sir Skully
ABX KNIGHT EXEMPLAR

Quote:
Hi Sammy,

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks Al for keeping things cleaned up, hope you're doing well...
GPU= Evga...GTX 780 Ti sc
Drives= Samsung 2X512gig 840 pro RAID-0
Storage= SeaGate 1TB
PSU=Corsair HX1000
Case=MM UFO
Cooling=Water cooling 2x Loops
Monitor=Dell UltraSharp U2711
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Thanks, guys. Doing fine here; I just haven't been posting as much as in the past. Too many hobbies to pursue! But the spammers can still expect to see no mercy!

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Doing fine here; I just haven't been posting as much as in the past. Too many hobbies to pursue! But the spammers can still expect to see no mercy!

Best regards,
-- Al
Speaking softly and carrying a big stick.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus F1A75-V Pro, AMD A8-3870K, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus EAH6670 1GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
yabbadoo
Banned

I have just joined the Forum and after browsing around, spotted this thread.

Having come across just about everything good, bad and ugly in my long and varied life, could somebody please explain what a "Bot" is and what exactly this thread is all about ?

Looks like I am not familiar with the jargon.

Last edited by yabbadoo; 05-04-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Yabbadoo, to ABXZone.

"Bot" is short for either "robot" or "spambot."

A robot in this context refers to an automated software program that goes to websites and takes some kind of action. The "spider" programs that search engines such as Google use to index web pages are an example of a robot.

A spambot is a kind of robot that is designed to automatically make spam posts to web forums and other websites.

Best regards,
-- Al

ABXZone Moderator
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Sir Skully
ABX KNIGHT EXEMPLAR

yabbadoo: ...
GPU= Evga...GTX 780 Ti sc
Drives= Samsung 2X512gig 840 pro RAID-0
Storage= SeaGate 1TB
PSU=Corsair HX1000
Case=MM UFO
Cooling=Water cooling 2x Loops
Monitor=Dell UltraSharp U2711
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
yabbadoo
Banned

Quote:
Yabbadoo, to ABXZone.

"Bot" is short for either "robot" or "spambot."

A robot in this context refers to an automated software program that goes to websites and takes some kind of action. The "spider" programs that search engines such as Google use to index web pages are an example of a robot.

A spambot is a kind of robot that is designed to automatically make spam posts to web forums and other websites.

Best regards,
-- Al

ABXZone Moderator
Thank you so much, all perfectly understood. Sorry to be so naive after 11 years of Internet rough and tumble.

How do these "Bots" get onto the Forum ? My understanding of a robot is that it has no mind of it`s own and is under the complete control of it`s handler. So how does it get over the random Captcha ? Presumably the handler gains entry and then lets his robot run riot.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadoo View Post
How do these "Bots" get onto the Forum ? My understanding of a robot is that it has no mind of it`s own and is under the complete control of it`s handler. So how does it get over the random Captcha ? Presumably the handler gains entry and then lets his robot run riot.
Your guess is as good as mine. As I indicated, the great majority of the automated spambots are stopped by the forum software, but a few of them occasionally get through somehow. Most of the spamming we see appears to be done entirely manually.

Best regards,
-- Al