ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
plainman007

USB to USB Bridged Cable - Doesnt Work. To Transfer Files.

Just bought a bridged USB to USB cable so that i may connect my 2 PCs together for file sharing or to drag and drop transfer files. I plugged the cable in and win xp pro recognized it as a usb device but said unable to install drivers and the new hardware may not work correctly.

Thats it. I tried a lot of things. Network setup etc. Nothing works. The cable has no meaning other than it just makes the familiar ting tong when plugged in.

Can someone help please ?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Re: USB to USB Bridged Cable - Doesnt Work. To Transfer Files.

Hi Vik,

You need special driver software for the bridged cable, which should either have been supplied with it, or which should be downloadable from the website of the cable's manufacturer.

This article will be worth reading in its entirety: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-USB-Cable/248

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
plainman007

Hi Ctal !

The cable didnt come with any disk even though it was in a sealed moulded bubble pack. The files i need to transfer from my graphics workstation to my internet pc are quite small, webpage files etc to be tested online.

So since my need is for small files transfer i returned the cable to the dealer and picked up a bluetooth dongle. The small pen drive type of USB thing.

The PC already has one. So i picked another for the workstation. And it worked perfectly. Since both systems are right next to each other. But after sometime, it started acting up. Doesnt transfer. I have to hit retry five to 6 times and then it would go across. Any settings i should look at ? I looked for any power management settings. But there dont seem to be any for the Bluetooth device. I disabled power saving for all USB ports which had the option via device manager though.

Problem still persists. Couldnt use ethernet option because the PC has internet cable attached to that port. And i need this live as i work with webpages to be able to transfer and test on the internet pc.

Have you used bluetooth reliably before in a situation like this ? What do you think i should do ?

Both Systems - WIN XP PRO with SP3. 4 gb ram.

Thanks
Vik
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Hi Vik,

I've never used any bluetooth devices myself. Not sure what to suggest, other than making sure that no other devices that may be emitting signals in the 2.4 gHz band, or that may be generating other forms of radiated interference, are close by.

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Falklan
Sing your death song!

Your best choice for such an activity may be a cross-over Ethernet cable.

It allows you to plug an Ethernet cable into two computers and they are able to communicate with one another.

Other than that, a switch is another option. Just share the files and folders across the LAN.
Apologies, I did not read thoroughly.

The cross-over cable is not an option...

Perhaps you could toss a switch behind your cable modem or whatever device you're using for your Internet connection.

I have found that setting up a LAN is always NECESSARY for me.
(2) Samsung 850 Pro 128GB (RAID0-OS Only) - Crucial 240GB (game cache)
(2) WD Black 1TB (storage/backup)
Samsung 830 128GB (scratch/cache)
Pioneer BD+R - Samsung DVD+R
Samsung 32" HDTV - Dell 21.5" LCD
Zboard - SteelSeries WoW MMO - MSI Interceptor
Windows 10 Pro x64
Behringer Q1002USB - BM-800 Condenser Mic/Boom

Last edited by Falklan; 05-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Did not read posts...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

I thought if both computers had GB ethernet, you can use a regular LAN cable and the cards should auto config. You may have to set static ip addresses.

Not sure what you have to do in windows after that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When in doubt, smack it!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Alex

If you have onboard LAN Card then its so easy to connect two PC with a single LAN cable without any drivers to be installed. And as you want to transfer files you can download ipmessenger.exe from internet and run it.