ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #16
Sandog

Re: Window 7 Desktop Gadgets.

MS disabled Gadgets. You cannot just find the app and run it, the Windows shell will not support it. MS disabled it due to security.

I only have Win10 and I don't need Gadgets, the Start Menu has all the stuff I could want. For weather I currently use the default weather app which is good. It lets me see the 7-day forcast which is what I want to know 90% of the time. I also downloaded a Radar app for $1.99 I think. I have not gotten around to cleaning up the Start menu yet, so many things to do yet. Like I said, I am not planning to do anymore Windows installs.

s-l500.jpg Untitled.jpg
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #17
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
MS disabled Gadgets. You cannot just find the app and run it, the Windows shell will not support it. MS disabled it due to security.

I only have Win10 and I don't need Gadgets, the Start Menu has all the stuff I could want. For weather I currently use the default weather app which is good. It lets me see the 7-day forcast which is what I want to know 90% of the time. I also downloaded a Radar app for $1.99 I think. I have not gotten around to cleaning up the Start menu yet, so many things to do yet. Like I said, I am not planning to do anymore Windows installs.

Attachment 30608 Attachment 30609

That is NOT correct.

My stock windows 7 weather gadget worked perfectly for a long time up to two days ago. Then I reinstalled a fresh win 7. After the reinstall it won't connect.

I wish I imaged the old install. After the virus removal the weather gadget was still working.

I'm hoping someone gave their win 7 computer to a family member so the config file is still around.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
traveler
Where to next?

Found the Weather Channel gadget.

http://win7gadgets.com/weather/the_weather_channel.html

It connects and works BUT it only allows one install. I monitor eight different locations for weather.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #19
traveler
Where to next?

I just looked at your attachments Sandog. Very nice win 10 app.

Will it stay on the desktop all by itself as a one inch by one inch icon and display the temp like the win 7 gadget did?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post

Will it stay on the desktop all by itself as a one inch by one inch icon and display the temp like the win 7 gadget did?

No it will not, so you need more than one weather gadget running at the same time? You can get most of all the gadgets from that link I posted, it will work on W7 here's a screenshot of mine running on W10, they will be the same on W7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gadgets.jpg (114.0 KB, 4 views)
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
traveler
Where to next?

got it to work !!!!!!!

the answer is in the internet explorer internet options

All my previously selected location MS win 7 weather gadgets are working and updating now. Plus the default which is New York City. But I cannot search and retreive a new location. I'll have to figure that part out later. I know where the user config files are.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #22
Sandog

Quote:
That is NOT correct.

This is what I remembered from experience years ago but after reading your adamant refutation I double checked.
================================================
Microsoft | Community

"original title: Weather gadget not working !!

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 - bit and my weather gadget is not working, it is displaying a message "Cannot connect to service .

I have also tried by turning off firewall and antivirus but it still don't works for me .
602 people had this question

Update:
Microsoft has DISABLED the weather and currency gadgets via a recent Security Update, due to concerns over the vulnerability associated with these gadgets running on your computer. You can read more about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719662 . Adjusting your computer's settings and all these other "suggestions" people are making, will NOT work. The function has been REMOVED from the operating system. It has also been removed from the Windows 8 operating system. There are "theorists" that either agree that there is a security issue within the gadgets or Microsoft just does not want to support gadgets (usually third party software) and thus, has disabled them in Windows 7 and eliminated them in Windows 8.
Thanks to DaveNYC for the Info. Spread the word because many people are facing this problem just like you."

It may be working now from some sort of work around I am not sure but I had the same problem originally. I used 3 or 4 gadgets and then on one reinstall of Windows I found out they would not open or run properly. Hope you got yours working again.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #23
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
This is what I remembered from experience years ago but after reading your adamant refutation I double checked.
Microsoft | Community

"original title: Weather gadget not working !!

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 - bit and my weather gadget is not working, it is displaying a message "Cannot connect to service .

I have also tried by turning off firewall and antivirus but it still don't works for me .
602 people had this question

Update:
Microsoft has DISABLED the weather and currency gadgets via a recent Security Update, due to concerns over the vulnerability associated with these gadgets running on your computer. You can read more about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719662 . Adjusting your computer's settings and all these other "suggestions" people are making, will NOT work. The function has been REMOVED from the operating system. It has also been removed from the Windows 8 operating system. There are "theorists" that either agree that there is a security issue within the gadgets or Microsoft just does not want to support gadgets (usually third party software) and thus, has disabled them in Windows 7 and eliminated them in Windows 8.
Thanks to DaveNYC for the Info. Spread the word because many people are facing this problem just like you."
===============================================

It may be working now from some sort of work around I am not sure but I had the same problem originally. I used 3 or 4 gadgets and then on one reinstall of Windows I found out they would not open or run properly. Hope you got yours working again.

Why are mine working Sandog never had a problem with them?
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #24
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Why are mine working Sandog never had a problem with them?
I don't know, maybe MS fixed the invulnerabilities. I am still smiling about how correct I was. Microsoft's answer was almost identical to mine.

Anyway, I like Windows 10 much better. The action center now takes place of Windows gadgets on the right side and new gadgets can be attached to the Start menu or anything really.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #25
Sandog

Quote:

No, it is on the Start menu not the desktop but with Live enabled it will keep the current date/time/weather/etc. Like FVB said, you can get an app that will do anything you want in Windows 10. I am not running any third party shell changers ATT.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 AM   #26
traveler
Where to next?

Thank you Sandog for all the info.

What I meant was not to be adamant, but to be emphatic that despite what MS did there was a way to get it to work.

fvbounty: are you running the stock MS win 7 weather gadget? Or the modified lookalike from win7gadgets?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #27
fvbounty

Quote:
Thank you Sandog for all the info.

What I meant was not to be adamant, but to be emphatic that despite what MS did there was a way to get it to work.

fvbounty: are you running the stock MS win 7 weather gadget? Or the modified lookalike from win7gadgets?

When I click on the tool icon it says MSN Weather, thats all I know? Plus it works....lol

Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #28
traveler
Where to next?

Ahhhhhhh ... so you're running the MSN weather gadget.

Msn Weather - Windows 7 Desktop Gadget

This one is a re-worked MS weather gadget. It works and shows the same things as the original MS weather gadget but is slightly smaller than the original in size:

Weather - Windows 7 Desktop Gadget

Both of these gadgets do work.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #29
Wingit
Palm Rat

For original gadget:

Go to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache", open "Config.xml" (RMB -> Edit) and save it (File -> Save) without doing any changes. After 10-20 seconds the gadget will restart.
You'll likely have to repeat this every 3 days or so.
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 AM   #30
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingit View Post
For original gadget:

Go to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache", open "Config.xml" (RMB -> Edit) and save it (File -> Save) without doing any changes. After 10-20 seconds the gadget will restart.
You'll likely have to repeat this every 3 days or so.

Thanks Wingit.

I saw that info somewhere. I like the "copy gadgets from a known working computer" method better. I wish I knew why my gadgets work fine now. And I wish I knew how to set up a new location.