ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Keyboard Mapping?

How many members here configure their own keyboard mapping when setting up a new game vs just going with the default?
I noticed that I always have to map the keys the way I like cos I never use a default WASD setup. I 've found that WASD is pretty clunky and there are other much easier setups.
Most games give you the option to map ur own setup and I've just assumed everyone does that like me.
Sometimes it takes a while to get the best setup in a new game, but I've developed a standard pattern over the years for fps's that I like so it never takes me long to get it right.

I've found a good map makes a huge difference in play satisfaction and performance.

If you've read my posts in the Dishonored 2 thread you'll know that I've just purchased a Hori Tactical Assault Commander key pad/mouse for my PS4 which lets me map the keys to the PS4 controls in any game. I'd like to see a full keyboard for PC with this kind of feature. Dont know if theres any out there, but would be good for games with no map or strange setups.

Anyone else have their own standard mapping they always use?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Sandog

Re: Keyboard Mapping?

I have never used the WASD keys. I always map to the arrow keys. There is nothing directly around them. I keep my 3 middle fingers on the arrow keys and my pinky on the Right CTRL key. I don't use my thumb for anything. I use:

Right CTRL
FN
Shift
Enter
Del/End/PgDn
0/1
4 arrows
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Sandog

BTW, I have some nice looking orange/red WASD keys but they are textured teh same as the regular keys so it makes little sense to me.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
BTW, I have some nice looking orange/red WASD keys but they are textured teh same as the regular keys so it makes little sense to me.
Exactly, if they're not textured differently then whats the point of colour? Taking eyes off the screen in a darkened room to see the color keys would not be very useful.

I usually map:
Right mouse - forward,
Left - fire,
Middle - block or power or alt attack,
Wheel - change weapons/powers,
Z - step left,
X - step right,
Left ctrl - back
C - crouch,
F - light
Left shift - run
G - throw/grenade
TAB - journal objectives
And then the rest of the board or mouse buttons as suits the game.
I've found the above works extemely well for me and my hands never get tired.
On the Hori TAC i'm using a convenient thumb stick for movement side ways and back, but otherwise as above.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
Sandog

I have similar mapping for jump, crouch, select, grenade, BFG, etc. Thing of it is the WASD keys are not lined up. My middle finger goes straight up on the arrow keys and I can not get used to the W because it is on the left. It is just too busy around the WASD keys for me. I never have trouble finding the arrow keys. Keys are something you distinctively feel, I don't look down and search for custom LED colored keycaps

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 11-21-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
I have similar mapping for jump, crouch, select, grenade, BFG, etc. Thing of it is the WASD keys are not lined up. My middle finger goes straight up on the arrow keys and I can not get used to the W because it is on the left. It is just too busy around the WASD keys for me. I never have trouble finding the arrow keys. Keys are something you distinctively feel...
The original Apple Macintosh had no arrow keys at the insistence of Steve Jobs, who felt that people should use the mouse instead. I've found using the mouse for forward and look is very intuitive.

I think the idea driving the WASD convention was that the arrow keys can be difficult to use with a mouse (for right handed people). It also frees up the thumb for other functions.
But I've found WASD is inconvenient due to all the surrounding buttons getting in the way, its just difficult to identify the WASD keys by touch alone sometimes.
Thats why I started using Z,X and left ctrl and never looked back.

They always write "WASD is a popular configuration standard in games" but I suspect its only popular with peripheral builders...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Info on the TAC is here:
TAC PRO

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 11-21-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
The original Apple Macintosh had no arrow keys at the insistence of Steve Jobs, who felt that people should use the mouse instead. I've found using the mouse for forward and look is very intuitive.

I think the idea driving the WASD convention was that the arrow keys can be difficult to use with a mouse (for right handed people). It also frees up the thumb for other functions.
But I've found WASD is inconvenient due to all the surrounding buttons getting in the way, its just difficult to identify the WASD keys by touch alone sometimes.
Thats why I started using Z,X and left ctrl and never looked back.

They always write "WASD is a popular configuration standard in games" but I suspect its only popular with peripheral builders...

All true, I have to move my keyboard way over to reach the arrow keys with my left hand. Besides that using the arrow keys are bliss. I have big fingers and fortunately a big desk. I have a habit of already using a bad typing position. I am not straight at all when I type

My mouse I use for direction (pointing), left for Fire, right for Alt-Fire, and wheel to scroll through weapons. I don't use the wheel lock or any side buttons.

BTW, it seems like WASD was a kluge. I noticed on any of the gaming pads the keys are all lined up vertically like on the numpad.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Info on the TAC is here:
TAC PRO

Very nice looking, is there one for the PC? The mouse looks good to.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Very nice looking, is there one for the PC? The mouse looks good to.
It seems well built going by tye high quality plastic finish and their claims about the mechanics of the keys. Feels good.

I dk if theres a PC version, but I doubt it. I'll check out the web site

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
Sandog

Yes very high quality. If I were only single and retired lol.

Say's so on front page.

ENGINEERED FOR FPS DOMINATION
Tactical Assault Commander Pro
for PlayStation®4 / PlayStation®3 / PC

Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Yes very high quality. If I were only single and retired lol.

Say's so on front page.

ENGINEERED FOR FPS DOMINATION
Tactical Assault Commander Pro
for PlayStation®4 / PlayStation®3 / PC
Awesome, although I doubt I'd use it on my PC, most PC games I play allow me to map the keys in the game, so no need.

"You Cannot Hide..."