ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #691
Sandog

Re: Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

Spent a couple of hours yesterday and today tweaking in BIOS for my CPU. I tell you it is a like/hate relationship with the Broadwell-E. I for sure would have kept the 5930K knowing what I do now. First off, here is a CPU temp monitor utility I like, RealTemp hasn't been updated in years and this one has a couple of more goodies. It shows load on each individual core and has core voltage and frequency. I watch this the whole time while a benchmark runs.

Core Temp 1.7

There are a lot of setting combo's in BIOS and in working with the Intel Turbo driver. Really the X99 and Broadwell-E are rebadged or direct descendants of the C610 chipset and Xeon CPU. The feature of having a single core go to 4.0GHz is good for servers and such but for OC enthusiasts it is not enough.

With trying to auto-clock cores so they go to 1200MHz at idle, they will only reach a max of 3700MHz during multicore benches. I also found out most or all of the crashes I encounter benchmarking are due to my lofty Corsair memory. Corsair makes 3 flavors of my memory. All are 4x16GB DDR4 2400 but there is a CL14, CL12, & CL10 version. The CL14 and CL12 run at 1.2V and the CL10 runs at 1.35V. Well I have the CL12 and I always run at stock XMP but if I OC the CPU (default Uncore>2800MHz) I will get crashes when reaching the AES/Mandel/Ray Tracing benchmark in AIDA64. After cranking up my VDDR up a bit it gets rid of the crashes.

In order to run at +4.0GHz on multi cores I have to lock the cores at those speeds. If you do this, there is really no reason to have the Broadwell-E and you have to deal with the Turbo Boost driver. Whatever online benchmarks show the 6850K slightly ahead of the 5930K its due to the 100MHz increase in core clock.

Right now I am running in OC mode and using TPU II which is all cores 4.0 and my best core at 4.2 and this is fulltime. It runs great and is fast. Much more IPC than my old Gulftown I sold XJ but the funny thing is I use to run my i7-970 with all 6 cores at 4.2GHz. That was a long time ago.
ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz C12
SeaSonic PRIME 750 W Titanium
Intel SSD 750 1.2TB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA III
Ducky YoTS Keyboard, Wrist Rest, Secret Mouse, & Flipper Pad
ASUS Essence STX II Audio Card / AKG K712 PRO Headphones
Audioengine P4 Speakers, N22 Amp, S8 Subwoofer, & Cables
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]