ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #46
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Prey 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
Congrats Zap. It's an achievement in itself to finish this particular game.
Yes, we should get a "I survived Talos 1 T shirt or something.
Just not enough fun to this game, but awesome challenge.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #47
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Just about the ending and without spoilers; so its a twist and totally unexpected, but kinda silly IMHO. It just didnt seem to link to anything that happened that would give you an 'aha, of course!' moment, unless I missed stuff.
You can make any kind of twist in a story you like if you dont bother to link it to the game events. The ending is useful to explain some things tho, like the dumb A.I., lol. You could even argue that the number of times you died and reloaded is explainable because of the nature of the world, I dk.

What I did enjoy immensely was having to make an impossible choice at the end. It seemed there was a logical and rational argument that could be mounted for each choice based on utility and risk assessment. The pros and cons were very well put by the characters and the story too. At the very end the judgement piece was a bit too glib. The consequences for our choices needed to be presented in a more organic manner rather than the way it was.

I think this kind of thing should be explored more in gaming; so alternate endings based on choices made along the way with meaningful consequences that say something about how we think and behave, without relying on simple good/bad tropes. Ultimately I think Prey doesnt quite carry this off because the ending is too arbitrary and, as I said, a little too neat and disconnected, but full points for trying.

I mean, when u think about it, the biggest difference between books and movies and a computer game is the facility to shape the story and the ending based on the player choices.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 07-09-2017 at 10:42 PM..
Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #48
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I started a replay of Prey and what a difference experience makes!
Its like I'm unstoppable. I've levelled up pretty quickly on my favourite skills and powers and the Phantoms cant keep up. No more crawling along corridoors in total submissive fear, no sir! I'm pushing through like a hot knife through butter.

I've also taken on a couple of missions I didnt do last time and found a few rooms I didnt get into before.

I think the game is very replayable but I need to give it some time

"You Cannot Hide..."