ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

After Prey I needed something a little different and I've had my eye on this for a while. I've never been a fan of the series but I've heard so many good things about Resident Evil 7: Biohazard that I've decided I must give it a go.

All I knew about it was that its first person and set in a scary old house, has some puzzle solving, exploration, a good story and scares and its been getting very good reviews. Sounds just like the type of game that I might enjoy.

I've got a PS4 but went with the PC version. If I had a VR headset I would've gone that way instead as this title was developed with VR in mind. (I refuse to pay for the headset, camera and controllers, which go for around $800 AUD here, which is more than the PS4 itself. Wayy overpriced).

First impressions are mixed; the graphics and art are detailed and the character animation is awesome. Sound is detailed and the 3D spatialisation is excellent. So far I've spent about 30 minutes exploring and reached the point where Mia (my characters long time missing girlfriend in the game) has attacked me with a chainsaw.

I'm not into slasher movies, they dont scare me and only make me nauseous so this aspect of the game isnt grabbing me, however the ambience and atmosphere is immersive, creepy, dark and foreboding so I'm sticking with it for now.

I've picked up a hand gun but this definitely is not a polished shooter game, the shooting mechanics feel basic so I suspect this wont be a big part of the experience.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be a fun game.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Well I'm stumbling around this dilapidated house and getting the feel of the game. While the graphics are very good the art is even better. The game looks awesome, with a detailed and organic look to it that just feels alive and real.
Add to that some beautiful surround sound and the game is extremely atmospheric.

Most of the environment is art that is drawn in a geometrically realistic way. I've set the fov to 90 and it looks natural to me. Theres no denying that the game oozes a quality look and feel due in no small part to the beautiful art, both the textures and visual detail of the rooms.

The graphics engine is interesting in that the textures look sharp and clear until you move in very close to them where it becomes apparent that theres limited detail.
I'm running at 1440p scaling on my 1080p monitor and the rendering is very smooth and clear with sharp looking textures at normal distances, its only when you get very close to a texture that it blurs. Usually we're not that close to objects so its not an issue and probably contributes to the excellent performance. There's some kind of filtering or mapping going on to give the textures this nice sharp organic look at normal/typical distance.

Lighting and shadows are very well done adding to the immersion and atmosphere. Oddly, when I set gamma at the correct level based on the setup slider and guidance the game appears too dark on my monitor with too much missing detail. Imcreasing the slider a couple of notches above the "correct" level produces a better result.

The world object detail is light by PC game standards however the rendering is so well integrated into the texture art that you dont notice.
For example, I was in a room that probably had only 4 objects actually rendered in an otherwise box shape room, but the artistic textures carried it very well. Everything looks and feels detailed, natural and just right.

The characters are exquisitely drawn and articulated. They look very "realistic" although not exactly photo-realistic. (This is welcome after the more cartoonish and stylized characters of Prey). They also move fluidly and in a natural looking manner.

Voice acting is great and sound effects are detailed, resonant and well matched to the graphics, contributing well to the immersion and atmosphere.

The story type is not new and in fact is a little cliched given the sheer number of other movies and games that have a similar theme, but theres enough going on to avoid it feeling like a rehash.

I'm very much enjoying all this, however the game is not what I would describe as eerie or creepy, at least not in the traditional ghost story or haunted house style. Its more visceral, disturbing and nauseous. The house looks and feels like the worlds worst tenants moved into a charming old-world bungalow and proceeded to run it into the ground. Its filthy, dirty and sickening to look at. You know those people who hoard stuff for years and keep 6 months of garbage in their house? Well it looks a bit like that sometimes.
Its run down, falling down and rotten, but also remarkably warm and cosy in places. A bit of a fixer-upper, lol.

Notwithstanding all the above the actual game play is not so good. Take the puzzles. There are plenty of puzzles of various complexity that we must solve to proceed. Its fairly basic puzzle solving on display. But catastrophically the game frequently solves the puzzle for you before you've even had a chance to start on it! You can pick something up and examine it by turning it around and clicking on it and 9 times out of 10 this will cause it to do whatever its supposed to do.

Things you pick up are collected and added to inventory regardless of whether you actually know why you need them and later when looking at a puzzle you can just try using each of your inventory items until finding something that fits.
Its just far too simplistic and easy to solve puzzles by accident. Also, many of the puzzles seem unlikely and inconsistent with the game world. Theres just no plausible reason why some of the more esoteric puzzles even exist in the house at all. Some are kinda Myst like - in this old southern run down house? like, why? I think if puzzles are intended to be simple then they should be well integrated into the world, not presented as sophisticated Myst like objects that exist out of place.

The other thing thats bothering me is that its all mostly jump scares, so far. It may be that its by design and consistent with the previous installments, but its a little juvenile. I mean sudden loud bangs and enemies rushing at you will tend to make you jump, its called reflexes....

Then theres the slasher aspect. I think its looks like a lot of work has gone into it and no doubt slasher fans would appreciate it, but for me its a little ho hum and euwww.

Most of the action is delivered by seemless scripting and cut scenes and you lose control of your character which then breaks the immersion. Theres a lot of scripted sequences like this, unfortunately. Some of the scares are pretty well done though. At one point an enemy burst through a wall in an unexpected way which was brilliant.

With the very well done game elements such as the graphics, audio, character articulation, lighting, atmosphere and immersion the game is keeping me interested overall but its not the haunted house story with exploration of eerie environments and revealing of dark other worldly secrets that I was hoping for.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

This game would be fine on a console like the PS4, and playing it on the couch in front of the big TV screen would be nice and easy with the PS4 controller given the very simple interface and controls.

The game requires minimal input by the user, for example theres no crouch or jump, no lean and the shooter mechanics are simple.

I had that bad experience with Dishonored 2 on the PS4 which put me off console so I didnt think too much about it when I bought RE7 off STEAM for PC, but now given the simple controls and emphasis on the point and click style rather than precise input and control by the user I think the console/TV/lounge would be ideal, lol.

Going forwards I can apply the rule that games that need lots of precise input from the player should be played on PC, while games that are more point and click can be played on console.

I can see that games like Batman:Arkham Asylum would also be ok on the couch and console. All that button mashing during a fight makes sense on a game pad, but when you think about it its mostly point and shoot mechanics.

Theres a subtle difference in the two forms. I think the PC experience is much more "up close and personal", precise and for serious gaming that demands your full attention to detail on things like inventory management, reading and research, NPC interaction with dialog trees and so on, whereas I can see the console being more relaxed, laid back and for casual gaming with simple interaction.

While I couldnt see myself playing Prey, CoD Morrowind or Far Cry on console I can see this game working well on that platform. (Dishonored 2 should have worked out, but theres just too much input lag for my taste in that game).

Is STEAM on PS4? I wonder if there's anyway I could swap the game over to PS4 via STEAM, lol.
[edit] a quick check on the web reveals no agreement between Valve and Sony on sharing/swapping game licences exists, lol. Was worth a try.

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 07-13-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The game gets even better the deeper you go. There's something very rotten going on in this house.
The NPC's look totally freaking awesome, best looking characters I've ever seen. The detail is incredible and their motion is very realistic.

See these pics as example, this is very typical looking as to what I'm seeing:
https://assets.vg247.com/current/201...reenshot02.jpg

http://cdn.gamer-network.net/2017/us...-7-Shot-05.jpg

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 07-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Sandog

I need a game like this.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS RAMPAGE V-10E / Intel i7-5960X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C12 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine HDP6's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
I need a game like this.
But dont let me mislead anyone about the difficulty of this game.
The game is intense and the challenge is vey high, and I say that just coming from Prey. I never down shifted difficulty in Prey, but I'm considering it here.

There are some abominations that come out of the black goo that infects the house that remind me strongly of the Prey Phantoms in look and fear factor, only far more realistic and cool looking.
A cross between Groot, Phantoms and a Triffid, these things are truly terrifying.

I finished my gaming session last night with no less than 3 of these things coming at me and I've got nothing to stop them. Have no idea what I'm supposed to do, lol.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
But dont let me mislead anyone about the difficulty of this game.
The game is intense and the challenge is vey high, and I say that just coming from Prey. I never down shifted difficulty in Prey, but I'm considering it here.

There are some abominations that come out of the black goo that infects the house that remind me strongly of the Prey Phantoms in look and fear factor, only far more realistic and cool looking.
A cross between Groot, Phantoms and a Triffid, these things are truly terrifying.

I finished my gaming session last night with no less than 3 of these things coming at me and I've got nothing to stop them. Have no idea what I'm supposed to do, lol.
Well, getting stuck is good, you have to work to find a solution which makes the game last. I don't have near the game experience as you but I normally start on the default difficulty level.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS RAMPAGE V-10E / Intel i7-5960X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C12 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine HDP6's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #8
LazerHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
After Prey I needed something a little different and I've had my eye on this for a while. I've never been a fan of the series but I've heard so many good things about Resident Evil 7: Biohazard that I've decided I must give it a go.

All I knew about it was that its first person and set in a scary old house, has some puzzle solving, exploration, a good story and scares and its been getting very good reviews. Sounds just like the type of game that I might enjoy.

I've got a PS4 but went with the PC version. If I had a VR headset I would've gone that way instead as this title was developed with VR in mind. (I refuse to pay for the headset, camera and controllers, which go for around $800 AUD here, which is more than the PS4 itself. Wayy overpriced).

First impressions are mixed; the graphics and art are detailed and the character animation is awesome. Sound is detailed and the 3D spatialisation is excellent. So far I've spent about 30 minutes exploring and reached the point where Mia (my characters long time missing girlfriend in the game) has attacked me with a chainsaw.

I'm not into slasher movies, they dont scare me and only make me nauseous so this aspect of the game isnt grabbing me, however the ambience and atmosphere is immersive, creepy, dark and foreboding so I'm sticking with it for now.

I've picked up a hand gun but this definitely is not a polished shooter game, the shooting mechanics feel basic so I suspect this wont be a big part of the experience.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be a fun game.
It's definitely a fun game, once you get the hang of it. Great story and a bit more nostalgic of the first few installments of RE, unlike RE 5 onwards which basically took on a 3rd person shooter genre than its horror predecessors.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #9
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

"Three a's and a hand"!?
Anyone playing the game will know what this refers to, but this and stuff like it is really damaging the game for me.

First up, exactly how do the doors work together mechanically? Must have some kind of complicated rods and lever setup or otherwise a microprocessor, switches and solenoids, either way these hicks wouldnt have the necessary brains between the lot of them to set it up. Secondly, why did they even bother? Why not just a padlock? Hmm?

Also, if the cop hasnt checked in why dont more cops turn up by now? How long before they send another officer?

The dogs head door lock thing was tolerable. Its like, ok, secret passages, old house with hidden passages and clever mechanical locks, I can accept that, but the three a's just makes no sense to me at all. Its like the developers put it in cos they couldnt be bothered with anything more sophisticated, despite there being heaps of possible alternatives open to them.

After having spent a few more hours here I've decided this game is to horror gaming like slasher's are to horror movies. Its all jump scares with lots of blood and gore. This is no psychological thriller. The problem with jump scares is that they're predictable and at the same time the cut scenes take control away from the player.

I'm pretty disappointed and losing the will to keep playing it.
To make it worse The A.I. uses cheats to time the jump scares and cut scenes. Doesnt matter how careful you are to check your back, the NPC's can just pop in at any time. Combat is the type where you have to figure out the pattern and the sweet spots through trial and error. Theres no quick save so get ready to repeat that attack and cut scene over and over and over until you get it precisely right.

The graphics really are nice, I just want to repeat that. The NPC's look awesome and behave extremely realistically. Its actually like being inside a slasher flick. But thats not enough for me. Graphics arent everything and cut scenes are like movies. If I wanted to watch a B grade movie I'd go to TV.

I think I'll try something else to spend my limited gaming time on.

"You Cannot Hide..."