ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
fvbounty

Re: AMD Threadripper 1950X CPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
I watched a YT installation. The CPU comes with a permanent holder. You slide the holder into the socket hinge and THEN when it is secure properly you take away the pin cover and put the CPU down on the pins.
Yes I have links above, but Kyle bent the pins trying to put the plastic cover back onto film the review....watch that last video I just linked too....
Asus Maximus VII Formula, Intel I7 4790K Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, 16 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #32
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Yes I have links above, but Kyle bent the pins trying to put the plastic cover back onto film the review....watch that last video I just linked too....
Really IMO it has been done already. FOXCONN has developed the LGA socket to perfection for Intel. AMD is not the designer of the socket or at least not the builder. It should be no harder for AMD's socket to work than for Intels to work.

BTW, all CPU's come with the instruction that the CPU should be installed by a qualified technician nowadays.

It reminds me when I shipped my old monitor recently FEDEX and I was talking to the clerk about insurance. Basically if you put in an insurance claim it is very easy for FEDEX to deny your claim based on how you packaged your box. All the way to having the correct filler Styrofoam to hold the weight, to not having any movement allowed inside the package, to having a certain thickness to the box and filler on all 6 sides relative to the size of the item, and to have the correct box weight capacity. If you broke any of those rules and more it can nullify your claim.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION / Intel i7-5960X / Corsair H115i / ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL12 / SeaSonic PRIME 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel SSD 750 1.2TB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine P4's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #33
fvbounty

If you're into these cpu's check out this video showing how the coverage of the AIO cooling solutions cover these big CPU's, not very good...leave it to Noctura to being on the job with full coverage Air coolers!

YouTube

Now for Noctua's new coolers....

Noctua
Asus Maximus VII Formula, Intel I7 4790K Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, 16 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #34
fvbounty

If you're into these cpu's check out this video showing how the coverage of the AIO cooling solutions cover these big CPU's, not very good...leave it to Noctua to being on the job with full coverage Air coolers!

YouTube

Noctua

Old 08-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #35
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
If you're into these cpu's check out this video showing how the coverage of the AIO cooling solutions cover these big CPU's, not very good...leave it to Noctua to being on the job with full coverage Air coolers!

YouTube

Noctua
Yeah FVB I saw that review to yesterday. They just pile on once you find a YT video the associative videos are on the side. I looked at that one and I had the same thing I mentioned when I changed out my 5930K, that the circle was the same size as under the Corsair HS. On Rhyzen it looked like a much smaller circle. BTW, the die under the heat spreader is the size of a dime roughly but Rhyzen may have two dies.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION / Intel i7-5960X / Corsair H115i / ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL12 / SeaSonic PRIME 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel SSD 750 1.2TB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine P4's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #36
fvbounty

Quote:
Yeah FVB I saw that review to yesterday. They just pile on once you find a YT video the associative videos are on the side. I looked at that one and I had the same thing I mentioned when I changed out my 5930K, that the circle was the same size as under the Corsair HS. On Rhyzen it looked like a much smaller circle. BTW, the die under the heat spreader is the size of a dime roughly but Rhyzen may have two dies.
Threadreeper has four dies but only 2 are being used the other 2 are dummys, so the round coolers like Corsair H110 only covers a part of the 2 live cores, look at that first video I linked to it will explain it!

Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #37
Sandog

I am off to go to work, should be on again tonight.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #38
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

From what I've seen, I think the installation of Threadripper CPU onto X399's socket is very well managed. The process is fairly simple and fool proof providing you dont expose the pins until you're ready to close it.
They've even included a mini torque wrench so you can lock it down correctly.

I'm very interested to find out how it performs cooling wise. The contact plate of the cooler needs to be designed to cover the 4 dies, rather than must targeting the centre of the heat spreader. Theres a few HSF's avaialble from the bigger brands ready to go but I bet there will need to be some fine tuning before they're perfected.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 08-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #39
Sandog

Well there are not any good performance review yet at AT of THG of the high end CPU's but here is a review of some of the cheaper models.

Power Consumption - The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review: Zen on a Budget

From the review above, my understanding of the low-end CPU's is as follows.

Value: AMD=Intel
Performance: AMD = Intel
Power Consumption: AMD 2x > Intel

So, you get the same performance for the same money but AMD sucks 2X more power. That is not good. That is like saying AMD has twice as many circuits but equal performance or if power were equal, AMD would have half the performance. Plus I am being kind on the performance. If you look at gaming performance, Intel wins no doubt. We will see how the big boy CPU's do but I think it will be the same results.

IMO, Intel has been designing their CPU towards efficiency. Getting the 3D level stuff and never ending smaller dies. If you attack this way, you will always be able to run cooler and faster. I don't think AMD is 2X behind on performance, they just do not have the efficient architecture Intel uses.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #40
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
IMO, Intel has been designing their CPU towards efficiency. Getting the 3D level stuff and never ending smaller dies. If you attack this way, you will always be able to run cooler and faster. I don't think AMD is 2X behind on performance, they just do not have the efficient architecture Intel uses.
Just on this point; as a computing enthusiast I definetly want smaller, faster and more efficient processors. I want to see ever improving computing power and efficiency. Intel has certainly been tweaking their designs for a while now. Elegance is another factor that appeals to me.

As a gamer, though, I'm more interested in sheer grunt. I may accept bigger and hotter if it gives me much higher resolutions and frame rates. Hence the interest and wait for the benchmarks.
Actually, from a gamer perspective a bigger problem for a hot noisy Ryzen setup is consolitis, of course. Currently its the GPU thats the most important factor as I found out directly with my experience with my rig. If Ryzen seems too hot to my sense then I may skip it given that current games dont need more CPU cycles.

Its a real irony that PC gaming which drove computer graphics dev for so long and to such highs is now stagnant, tied to last gen tech via console.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #41
fvbounty

Here's a mini review of a complete system....

Exclusive: Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Performance First Look With Alienware Area-51 Threadripper Edition | HotHardware

Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #42
Sandog

You guys won't like what I have to say but I don't like either the Intel or the AMD chips. Must be getting cynical in my old age. First the benchmarks are annoying because there are two 1950X benchmarks lol. I guess the high one is the 16 core and the low one is the 12 core. Second, trying to run these as gaming machines is kind of a joke. 44dB noise??? I don't think you want a 16 core for a gaming PC right now. Anyway, these are geared toward multi-threaded apps. which is something else I don't need much of at the house.

I am not in the market for anything right now but if I were it would be the upcoming Coffee Lake 6-core that does 4.7GHz. Plenty of cores, extremely fast, and 95W. That would be all you need for the homework and gaming. Bet you money that one will do 5GHz.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #43
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Yea I was playing DOOM and watching all 10 cores, only one was active all
through my game play, GPU's, are the main actors in game playing, not cpu's.
16 gig Corsair Dominators
SAMSUNG PRO 960 M.2, in RAID-0
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1000w psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 08-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #44
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Skully View Post
Yea I was playing DOOM and watching all 10 cores, only one was active all
through my game play, GPU's, are the main actors in game playing, not cpu's.
DOOM 2016 is just not a useful game for assessing gaming performance. Its mostly just eye candy highly optimised for PC with limited A.I. Older generation CPU's easlly run it.

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 08-08-2017 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Typos