ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

ALIEN Isolation

Well, since I cant play FC4 at the moment I thought I'd load up this and give it a try. I've been hearing that it can be a pretty scary experience in the first half of the game, (up to 10 hours I think), whereas in the last half it gets a little repetitious.

I wonder how the scares compare to the FEAR games.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: ALIEN Isolation

Well this plays more like DOOM 3 than FEAR. Nice use of lighting. Its all very linear but I'll hold off judging it until a bit later.

If I hadnt seen the movies years ago and engraved the Alien creature into my subconscious then I think I'd be asking "what the heck is going on" since I've been playing this for ages with no action yet. But i can hear slithering sounds all around me and can guess whats coming!
I've just teamed up with some NPC and we're about to explore further. I dont actually trust this fellow but the game doesnt give me any choices.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 09-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Heh, I loaded up this game to see if it holds up after all this time. Playing at 4K.
I'm happy to report that its still terrifying and looks and sounds fantastic.
Some great immersion. I still wish for a quick save, although I understand why it wasnt included in this game.

I'm experimenting with lower difficulty. I read somewhere that the Alien has a wider patrol area on lower difficulty. I really hate that stupid behaviour where it keeps leaving and returning to the room we're hiding in, over and over.

When the alien is chasing you its terrifying, but I still believe the synths are more scary, even though the'yre slower.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Lol, well I'm playing this more and more. It really is flippin scary.
I was in one level with a crawl space in between two corridors and hatches either side. Really thought I'd be safe crawling around in there, but nooo.

When the Alien grabs me I've actually cried out in shock, and then laughed hysterically while I'm being eviscerated, lol. Not many games do that to me.

The trick is to always keep on the move and maintain awareness of where the alien and synths are at all times while managing inventory carefully.
Its nerve wracking.

Given theres no quicksave dying really is a penalty. You have to start back at your last save point. But thats where you review your strategy and approach. Most of the time you go back only a few minutes of play. We're so used to quicksave that not having one seems wrong, but it wouldnt make any sense in this game. Quicksaving would mean being trapped in a dead end strategy. The only missed opportunity here is theres no reward if you complete each mission without dying. It means that occassionally dying is an option when things are going badly and you want to start again.

Visuals are very nice at 4K but the 3D sound scape is truly awesome. There are ship and equipment sounds all around including the heavy thumps of the Alien as it hunts. The synths can be funny the way they say programmed things such as "I'm here to help you" in their calm voices while they actually try to kill you. You get a real sense that they're mindless killing robots that you cannot ever hope to reason with.

I'm also enjoying the retro feel based on the movies. You need to have enjoyed some of the Alien movies to get maximum value out of the game. Its very faithful to the movies in look and feel.

Theres a lot of tactics involved too. Each inventory item has pros and cons. I'm currently favoring smoke machines. Anything that creates noise just scares the hell out of me. The hand gun is also terrifying when I accidently fire it, lol.

Gameplay is pretty good. You start off each level acquiring maps of the area and planning how you'll approach your objectives. Theres terminals, control nodes, save points, crawl spaces, lifts, stairs and security rooms to navigate all offering options. Lots of replayability here.

Well easy difficulty is proving to be just as much fun. The alien does patrol less often but still often enough to be terrifying. Thats all the difficulty setting really changes. Its not like it reduces their armour settings or increases ours or anything since theres no shooting going on anyway.

The problem with higher difficulty is if you play a couple of hours and then quit and come back a few days later it takes a good while to get back into the rhythm of play and the higher levels are just too intense.

So far low difficulty feels "normal" to me.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 09-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
fvbounty

Sounds like that game would give a heart attack....lol
Asus Maximus VII Formula, Intel I7 4790K Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, 16 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Online)   Reply With Quote