ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Sandog

Asus -- ROG CLAYMORE

ROG Claymore | Keyboards & Mice | ASUS USA

This item just got in stock so I am going to give it a try. Who in here has an RGB keyboard and how do you set your keycaps colors?

Thanks,
Sandog
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Asus -- ROG CLAYMORE

I do I just use one color, and I change from day to day.....same for my mouse. By the way nice looking keyboard, love the volume control, just like my K90.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I do I just use one color, and I change from day to day.....same for my mouse. By the way nice looking keyboard, love the volume control, just like my K90.
OK that is what I wanted to know. How about you Skully?

I am curious if you guys are running the RGB. That is why I am buying this KB but I think it distracts you more from finding the keys. This is going to be a very cool KB. I will get use to the roller volume/mute switch and also it ties into my ASUS Aura hardware. It is time for a change in keyboards. The one thing I like about my Ducky is the sharp white LED's. This Claymore was touted as having one of the best whites for an RGB keyboard but it won't equal the Ducky. Also, the Ducky lettering is larger which I like. All else goes to the Claymore.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
OK that is what I wanted to know. How about you Skully?

I am curious if you guys are running the RGB. That is why I am buying this KB but I think it distracts you more from finding the keys. This is going to be a very cool KB. I will get use to the roller volume/mute switch and also it ties into my ASUS Aura hardware. It is time for a change in keyboards. The one thing I like about my Ducky is the sharp white LED's. This Claymore was touted as having one of the best whites for an RGB keyboard but it won't equal the Ducky. Also, the Ducky lettering is larger which I like. All else goes to the Claymore.
You know my wife's Ducky Legend has the nicest key lettering and bright white led of any keyboard I've had and i'very had a bunch...thanks to the guys here for letting me know about Ducky. Sandog it's going to be hard to give up yours, it's a beauty.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Sandog

Yeah I know you can't improve on Ducky quality. The white LED's are Cherry. You should have seen the Deck Legend keycaps. They were huge and very bright white. I have the 4 year old Shine 3 and it comes close but not as good as the Deck. Ask Jim.

I will miss the Ducky if I keep the Claymore but I want something different. Go look at the Ducky Year of the Rooster. Same old keyboard as mine really only RGB which has been out since the Shine 5.

You really have appreciate the ROG Claymore. It has the same Cherry key but I like the frame design and volume wheel. The whole KB was reviewed highly. There is a lot more to this KB than a Ducky. I am pretty sure I will like it except for the detachable numpad.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
fvbounty

It looks a lot like a Corsair K70 rgb with the raised keys above the deck for easy cleaning but the negative of that is Corsairs software sucks...maybe by now its better.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Sandog

Quote:
It looks a lot like a Corsair K70 rgb with the raised keys above the deck for easy cleaning but the negative of that is Corsairs software sucks...maybe by now its better.
Yeah I might get turned off by the raised keys, you can see the RGB a lot more and I know I probably won't like RGB right off the bat. I have always been a white LED man. But, I like the black aluminum with the Mayan line design cut into it. I also like the large black roller wheel that a reviewer said it was the best he ever felt. I also like it's size, it is as small as my Ducky without the leather wrist rest. Also the underneath looks very well constructed. It looks like it is built like a tank. I don't think I have ever seen a stronger looking keyboard. It has a nice thin diameter detachable USB cable that is long. And it has some pretty cool software and keys that can control the PC plus it is Aura which means I can control it just like my mobo, video card, mouse, and monitor.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Sandog

Here is a review if you are interested.

ASUS ROG CLAYMORE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review - EnosTech.com

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
fvbounty

Thanks for the review, I'll check it tomorrow, got to get up early tomorrow, a 560 mile drive home.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Sandog

I played with the Claymore for 5hrs yesterday but I returned it today.

ASUS ROG Claymore (1).JPG

ASUS ROG Claymore (2).JPG

ASUS ROG Claymore (3).JPG

ASUS ROG Claymore (4).JPG

ASUS ROG Claymore (5).JPG

There were a lot of things I liked about the Claymore but what did it in was the keys. First off, the key caps are the same size as my Ducky. The top WxD and the bottom WxD on the keys is the same. I took a key off and measured it. The Ducky caps were more reinforced but they were the same size. The things I thought I wouldn't like I liked and the things I thought I would like I didn't.

The keys are higher so the LED is visible under the key. It is actually a 1/16" above it so that lets out a lot of visible horizontal light. These keys are way higher than the bezel plus no rest. compared to my Ducky it is drastic but that wasn't a real bad issue. The keys were browns and needed the o-rings like my Ducky and I put some on. Keys felt like Ducky in feel and size under fingers. The detachable numpad was fine. I rather not have it but I had no issues with it. I also messed around with the Aura settings which is how I got it all white in the pic above.

The real issue was seeing the key-caps. Even though you know the keyboard keys you still look down from time to time to find a key. The lettering was too small on these key-caps. On the Del/End/PgDn above the arrows I could not even make them out. Other keys have secondary text and I could not make them out. Aura did not have a setting where it was RGB but stayed on. There profiles with changing RGB meant they all went out at one point. If they would have all stayed on like in the pick I showed above that would have made me fell better. But as I was typing on it in the dark and looking down for the keys they were off and I had to wait for them to come on. You can run static colors but not RGB. The keys-caps text is just too small, I did not like it. I even contemplated buying all new key cap sets twice but said I don't need to re-spend more money to fix something plus there are specialty keys (if you can read them) for OCing, fans, and whatnot, etc.

Then I started thinking it makes no sense to go to RGB and lose large white lettering. Really the only way I think I will like RGB is on a Ducky with the keys recessed and the lettering as large as mine is now. I have been looking at the Year of the Rooster and I have a feeling the special thing coming about with the Year of the Dog next year may be a roller volume knob in place of that ceramic bar. At least I hope so.

Basically, I tried to take a very often used tool (my keyboard) and make it into something that looks good but there was a big loss in functionality. It is not like selecting a new RGB fan which is mostly for aesthetics. Also, get this. The roller knob was pretty darn nice. But, it is even with the top bezel almost and the keys before it are almost an inch higher. So, you end up having to use your fingers vertically on a knob that you roll horizontal. If you put your fingers on it like you would a mouse they are laying on top of the keys. The keys are way too high and close to the knob. I don't know if you can see that in picks.

All in all it would have been a keeper but for the lousy print on the keycaps. The arrows on the arrow keys are 1/4rd the size of my Ducky's and the Ducky's are not big enough IMO. If I go to a new KB I will at least have to have large lettering and RGB lights that stay on but again I don't want a static color. I could have bought a Shine 4 with red and purple keys along time ago if I wanted static colors.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
fvbounty

To bad you didn't like it, the one thing I missed from the K90 is the volume wheel...best feature on any keyboard for me....I use the volume keys on my Ducky all the time! For me the perfect keyboard and would buy in a second is my Ducky Legend with that volume wheel and Cherry RGB Blues, the big letters and symbols of the Legend and the spacing of the Legend...that would be a PERFECT keyboard!

Last edited by fvbounty; 10-25-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Sandog

Quote:
To bad you didn't like it, the one thing I missed from the K90 is the volume wheel...best feature on any keyboard for me....I use the volume keys on my Ducky all the time! For me the perfect keyboard and would buy in a second is my Ducky Legend with that volume wheel and Cherry RGB Blues, the big letters and symbols of the Legend and the spacing of the Legend...that would be a PERFECT keyboard!
I liked the wheel but not the keys being to close and above it. Not that I am waiting for it but my crystal ball tells me Ducky Year of the Dog might go to a wheel. I don't know what else Ducky can pull. They will have to remove the pottery bar and put something else there. If Ducky were to do that it would be **** up. Ducky will use the best roller switch (like Claymore) but the key caps are much lower.