ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
plainman007

Outlook 2007 -Do my emails also get stored in the .pst file ?

I would like to know where my emails get stored when using OUTLOOK 2007.

I mean the actual emails with the attachments etc. I usually back up and save my data.pst file. Are the mails also stored there ? So that after i restore my system i would like to do a fresh reinstall of OUTLOOK and want all my emails back with the same folder structure etc.

I would also like to know where it stores my email account files ? The one where we create the emails with the passwords etc. Or the email accounts / profiles as they might be called. Or will i have to recreate them every time i reinstall OUTLOOK. I have exported the MAIL RULES to a safe place and tried restoring them also and they work fine. I want to do the same for the 5 email id pop3 accounts i have setup in outlook.

Thanks in advance.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Outlook 2007 -Do my emails also get stored in the .pst file ?

Try this resource
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
plainman007

Thanks Zapionics. I read that entire page but nowhere does it just say the email account/profile files are stored within the .PST. Another confusion is the cross reference of the word account in computer parlance can mean anything

Some people refer to the email account meaning their actual emails which theyve received over months or years archived in their inbox.

Im referring to the account profiles (Outlook Express calls them Account Files and stores them with a .iaf extension, the one where you set up the pop3 email and mention you mail server and passwords so that mail can be authenticated and downloaded on its own) which actually takes 5 mins each to create again in outlook but since i have a few email accounts i was wondering if there is another method.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post
Thanks Zapionics. I read that entire page but nowhere does it just say the email account/profile files are stored within the .PST. Another confusion is the cross reference of the word account in computer parlance can mean anything

Some people refer to the email account meaning their actual emails which theyve received over months or years archived in their inbox.

Im referring to the account profiles (Outlook Express calls them Account Files and stores them with a .iaf extension, the one where you set up the pop3 email and mention you mail server and passwords so that mail can be authenticated and downloaded on its own) which actually takes 5 mins each to create again in outlook but since i have a few email accounts i was wondering if there is another method.
I believe its stored in the registry in an office profile subkey somewhere, but dont know exactly where the connection settings info would be but odds are it will vary in location and structure from version to version. Based on my own experience of migrating between the various Office versions I'd recommend manually keying them so that the software configures them correctly.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Sandog

I have two backup pst files for me and the wife. Everytime I install Outlook I create two custom email accounts and I link these files. Everything in the users email account goes into these files including deleted, saved, attachments and your contacts list. Been using if for years and don't even remember how I created them originally. When you get mail, that is where it is stored, in that file. So there is no backing up to do. Whatever is in your current mail account resides in that file.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS RAMPAGE V-10E / Intel i7-5960X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C12 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine HDP6's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
plainman007

Hi Sandog,

I need to learn how to do that too. But before that i have a simple question.

I have 2 sticks of FURY 8gb 1866mhz CL10 Ram, exact same model, timing etc. I have inserted 1 stick into my new build and CPU/RAM meter shows im mostly using not more than half.

I was intending to sell off the other one online or something, just because i don't want it lying around gathering dust since i bought it just 5 months ago. I can optionally put this stick also in and have 16gb running on Dual Channel mode.

While i assume 8gb ram is OK for an office/business PC and throwing more ram at it may not make a difference, will the DUAL CHANNEL mode advantage i get by throwing in the other 8gb stick see an increase in performance ?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Sandog

Yes, you are in single channel with one stick and dual channel with the other. You definitely want dual channel as it probably increases speed by 50%.
8GB is enough I guess but I would keep the other stick. You could have bought 2x4GB if you want to save money.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS RAMPAGE V-10E / Intel i7-5960X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C12 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX II / Audioengine HDP6's, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #8
plainman007

Hi,

I didn't buy them for this system. I already have both of these to work with since they are from my graphics workstation. Hence they were bought for a FURY 8+8 DDR3 config.

For the new graphics workstation i bought FURY 8+8 gb of DDR4 (200usd for both stick together).

So now i have the 8+8 gb DDR3 to use in the new home pc setup.

So your saying there's a 50% performance difference ? I think that will have some perceivable difference during usage right ? If so ill just pop the second chip also in and run @ dual config.

Last edited by plainman007; 10-19-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
plainman007

Now been running on the 16gb ram in dual channel. Both slotted into the blue (same color channel).

Actually seems like the system is a little bit sluggish compared to when it was with 8gb ram. But its all subjective. Maybe im just feeling that way.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #10
plainman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
I have two backup pst files for me and the wife. Everytime I install Outlook I create two custom email accounts and I link these files. Everything in the users email account goes into these files including deleted, saved, attachments and your contacts list. Been using if for years and don't even remember how I created them originally. When you get mail, that is where it is stored, in that file. So there is no backing up to do. Whatever is in your current mail account resides in that file.
Hi Sandog,

Can you tell me how you do the switching between 2 different .pst files.

I have my emails, set of email ids, contacts, notes etc all which is being saved in my current data.pst.

How can i have a separate .pst for my wife to use with her own email ids, email folders, contacts & notes and switch quickly between both identities ?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

plainman007, I believe Sandog is busy with upgrading his rig.
It may be awhile before he can help you...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
Intel 750 1.2tb PCI
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse