ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
switch_abx

Intel NUC5i7RYH NUC Kit mini PC - anyone who has experience with this mini PC?

dear members;

it's a VERY long time ago that I posted on this forum. I reviewed the specs of the Intel NUC5i7RYH (NUC= Next Unit of Computing, a small form factor computer) IntelĀ® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH Mini PC

I plan to use it solely as a Media Server (JRiver Media Server v20 for Windows) running on Windows 7 - 64 bit.

The specs are top, with an Intel i7 5th generation processor, max 16 GB RAM, support vor 4K Display, 7.1 Sound USB 3 Ports etc. etc.

Is there anyone out there who can share with me his/her experiences with this box?

I look forward receiving feedback.
Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Intel NUC5i7RYH NUC Kit mini PC - anyone who has experience with this mini PC?

Hey Switch, nice to see you posting. I'm still using DuckDuckgGo after you pointed it out a while back!

I dont think anyones talked about NUC in a while, that I recall.
What do you intend to use it for? Desktop media server replacement or a multi-media device or something else?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 05-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
switch_abx

Re: Intel NUC5i7RYH NUC Kit mini PC - anyone who has experience with this mini PC?

Hi zapionics,

Yes, long time ago. I found an alternative to DuckDuckGo, called StartPage https://www.startpage.com/eng/

With SSDs being available at very reasonable prices, the throughput is the next issue. We will see mind blowing read and write speeds coming. PCIe 3.0 x4 and NVMe are the key interfaces to achieve these mind blowing speeds.

I plan to use the new Intel NUC exclusively as a Media Server, using JRiver Media Center (Server) v20 for Windows. Mainly to play my library of Music Albums. It offers everything I want: 4K Display support, Audio 7.1 support, infrared sensor etc. etc. And an M.2 slot for ultra fast PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD read/writes; the M.2 slot has a Type M Port (also called Key M Port), so it (should) support PCIe 3.0 x4.

However I have not been able to determine if there is still a AHCI Host Controller been built in or that it has the new NVMe Host Controller built in. The specs don't mention anything. I guess an NVMe Host Controller has been built in, because the NUC has an M.2 slot with M Type Port on board (for a PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD). But I want to be sure about it.

Can you shine some light on this issue?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Check out the latest NUC. It can do 4K and VR.

The Intel NUC 8 Enthusiast is the chip makers most powerful mini PC yet | TechRadar

This is where I would be headed. By the time I want to give up my big box this NUC will be sufficient.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
SRTDodge05
Grab Life By The Balls

I've been thing about getting a Intel NUC with a Pentium or i3 for a low powered server. Then get a 16TB NAS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.