ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #16
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Far Cry 5

flip I had some fun today, mayhem.
I've dropped the alien weapon somewhere in the world and I have no idea where, the problem is if you search corpses in a hurry you can sometimes accidently swap weapons. hopefully I can still acquire it, but I was chasing the convoy and so much stuff happened haha. Lost boomer and did so many other stupid things cos I was in such a hurry to catch up to the convoys, died like 20 times and got chased by all the peggies along the way, flip

I really need another gun slot but have to take down a lieutenant and have no idea how, as usual I'm avoiding googling spoilers, lol
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-31-2018, 03:36 AM   #17
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

ok, a big tip if you're just starting the game: definitely go to Falls End and do the Holland Valley area first, because the story unfolds much more coherently if you do that. They should have blocked the other areas off until later in the game, like they did in FC4.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #18
fvbounty

Hey Zap have you tried GW quick save?

"Don't play the game, but a google suggested ALT+F2"
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Tried alt-f2, Did not do anything for me.

Its really no big deal, you can save in-between missions. Just like real life - once you start a mission, can't go home to mama until the mission is completed.

Just cleaned-out a trailer park and packing house as well as some outposts. Currently saving a jail!

Very good game. Simple story, go after the Zealots!!!
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi
Old 03-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Hey Zap have you tried GW quick save?

"Don't play the game, but a google suggested ALT+F2"
yeah nothing happened for me either. You just have to escape out and click save and escape back. Its not like a save in place either, you load up in the nearest safe place or on approach to a mission.

Been flying and dogfighting, was fun!
FC5 ratchets up the mayhem factor because the nutbags are everywhere!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #21
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

One of the things I've really enjoyed with the FC series has been the exploratory component along with interesting secret places and beautiful vistas.
This version seems to have less of that although there are some pretty spots.
Not saying the graphics arent impressive, they are.

Theres a lot of echo, or reverberation, to voices which can be distracting.

Immersion is king for me and thats informed by a lot of factors. Some of the design is interfering with that. The mayhem and constant action tends to distract me from the worst of it, fortunately.

Boomer is a great companion. Feels fairly natural.
And he's useful.

The mini-games like fishing bore me although they're well done.
Side missions are good wen they result in useful new gear, but I hate those missions that do nothing but give ammo and supplies. You spend as much getting them done and you dont need to as theres plenty of ammo to be had on the roads as I already mentioned.

FC4 killed FC3 for me, but I dont think FC5 kills 4.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I freed up Falls End and liberated Holland Valley, but I'm staying to do every side mission and task here and theres a lot to do.
I think one of the most challenging missions so far was the gold mine.

At this point, unless the other areas are very different, I think FC5 is now revealed for what it is.
The gameplay is fast and chaotic with much less exploration involved than FC4. Yes, lots of map and hunting areas and side missions but little exploration as such. I find myself mostly driving, flying or running between objectives as fast as I can.

Story isn't strong and doesn't have much to say about anything. The plot is ok, but very simplistic. Theres no sense of mystery, unless you count the alien mission earlier on, but that seemed to go nowhere.

Well, its not a survival shooter or horror, its an action game pure and simple. Its all about blowing things up and shooting the bad guys, who all seem to deserve it.

Way too many cutscenes IMO, that progress the campaign or liven up side missions. Some are well done but this is not a movie and I want to play, not watch.

No beautiful or magnificent vistas, as I already mentioned, although the game is often very pretty.

It can be a lot of fun sometimes when things get chaotic, but often its just a steady slog through the enemy strongholds.

For some reason the character development is poor in this game, its surprising because that was a fairly strong point of the previous games. Couple that with a weak story and the result is not very memorable. Its all about the action.

Difficulty remains low, although there are some frustrating moments.

I think theres a lot more action in this game, but for me personally at the end of the day FC4 offers a more engaging experience. Riding a charging elephant over thugs, shooting and burning, but then quietly exploring nooks and crannies for loot and discovering interesting and beautiful places makes for a great change of pace. FC4 is flawed but never gets too dull.

I really long for a new STALKER, HL or even Crysis. Mystery, exploration, wonder and action with a decent story, great graphics, sound and physics and a sense of higher purpose.

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 04-05-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #23
fvbounty

That's why I Love the HL series, the story line, the characters, just wish they would come out with at least one more.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #24
Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
I really long for a new STALKER, HL or even Crysis. Mystery, exploration, wonder and action with a decent story, great graphics, sound and physics and a sense of higher purpose.
Ditto on Stalker.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #25
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Been playing a lot more of this. FC5 is in many ways a great game to play with lots of stuff to do and even more to do than FC4.
As I've said before, there's an element of chaos to the gameplay due to the emergent behavior and interaction of the NPC's and monsters that really makes the firefights interesting. Basically having different types of NPC with different behaviours mixing it up leads to some unexpected and fun outcomes.

This has been a key strength of the FC series, particularly in FC3 and FC4, as well as:
  • a good mix of stealth and assault options,
  • Interesting characters,
  • a great range of weapons,
  • Decent story/plot,
  • a good range of vehicles,
  • interesting exploratory options,
  • great graphics and sound,
  • good ballistics model,
  • good physics and
  • huge sandbox map

It seems to come together so well that it's very difficult to understand some of the critical design flaws in FC5. It seems to me that they're obvious issues that could be easily fixed and would uplift the game play enormously.
For example:

Helicopters are a very real cheat and damage the gameplay.
That's because they allow the player to travel quickly to different locations without having to explore the intervening areas. Huge swathes of land and activities are missed if a player just travels from one objective to the next through the air. So much is missed. This also means that its difficult to control the story progression because the player can literally turn up anywhere on the map. Sequencing cannot be guaranteed. This could have been mitigated by simply having far fewer choppers and limited fuel in each ride and therefore limited distance. This would give the player some options without causing them to miss a lot of stuff and would also allowed for some story progression. But they're everywhere and never run out of fuel.

Fast travel also has similar issues except to say that its usually limited to places the player has already been, unlike the choppers. This factor reduces the damage of fast travel, although there are still issues. For example, if the player is running low on ammo they can just skip to a gun shop, load up and skip back. That's just dumb and detracts from any need to carefully manage inventory or carefully choose your missions. Yes, you cannot abandon a set mission but some objectives don't have that limit.

The planes aren't so bad as the choppers simply because they're more difficult to control, however same issue applies - they need limits to range. OTOH, they're so lethal to the player and there's so little cover. How many planes and pilots does Edens Gate have anyway? I must have destroyed 100 by now!

Ground vehicles suffer less with this issue because you usually encounter tough resistance and cant just travel anywhere, although this is less true in FC5 than FC4. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I managed to drive for miles without being stopped by the AI.

The story suffers from severe sequence issues. Because the player can pop up anywhere its very difficult for the developers to devise a story (or stories) that progress logically based on progress. We seem to be limited to the "destroy the trucks", "liberate the outpost", "free the prisoner" variety that don't progress the story and don't provide a sense of progression.
One thing that the towers of FC4 did was give that sense of progression. You could see the areas of the map open up as you liberated them. It meant the developers could control the story progression.
In FC5 I can liberate an outpost in one part of the map, fast travel and jump in choppers and fly miles away to the other side of the map and liberate an outpost there. You might say "so what?" but the problem is that the NPC's will talk to different events and characters because that's the area they're in. So one minute we're all chatting about Faith, angels and bliss and the poor sheriff and the next its Falls End, silos and farms and my missing officers. Its disjointed and inconsistent.

Exploration is weak and unrewarded in FC5.
This is really disappointing. In FC4 I enjoyed taking time out from liberating outposts and just exploring although there were very few special rewards for doing so. Hunting for lost letters or masks was fun because it meant you had to explore areas under water, in caves, in old structures and so on that you might not visit otherwise. Some of the areas were obviously designed to be beautiful when viewed from certain locations that were mostly only accessible on foot.
FC5 seems to have done away with this. While I take the time to explore areas, there is no reward to doing so and in fact you get penalized by spending lots of ammo on wild animals and angels. You do discover new places but nothing mysterious to explore or to open up the back story and no special rewards for doing so anyway.

Bugs! So many Bugs!
I've got NPC's congratulating me on defeating Faith when I haven't done that yet. NPC's will comment on stuff that's related to missions I haven't started. NPC's will refuse to complete missions.
NPC's and objects will spawn in front of me or while I'm looking at them, far more often than in FC4. They even spawn on top of each other. This never happened in FC4, or very rarely.
I can shop even when the seller is dead.
Lots of clipping problems.
Missing textures.

Ammo and money is everywhere.
So I spoke about this earlier, but yeah, never any need to manage inventory. Even if you run out of ammo, just go to the road and wait a few seconds for someone to come along, or just fast travel to the nearest shop. Money is everywhere and shops are everywhere and getting around in a flash is so easy.

Faith.
Just stupid. Could have made sense, but not the way its implemented.
Basically animals can morph into other animals for no good reason or spawn out of nowhere. Wow, isn't that exciting? NOT! Presumably the player is affected by Bliss, but there isn't much you can do about it and no way to really know that. Its just a cheap trick to give the player something to do.

Stupid fishing and racing and arcade mini-games.
A novelty the first time and after that really boring. Is it an action shooter or a racing game? Or a fishing simulation? Yes, this has been in the past couple of FC's and I just hate it. The NPC who keeps telling me how great Far Cry Arcade is every time I liberate a place is really, really annoying.
The looting of NPC's, animals and safes is so stupid. They haven't bothered to even put any animation in. You just click a button and its done. Talk about cynical, why bother? I mean really? There's no time penalty anymore, except for the safes, and no skill. Yes badly designed minigames can be very annoying but it doesn't mean you should take them all out. Just make them better. The animation for looting an animal in FC4 was repetitive but that forced the player to think about whether they really needed to take the time or not. In FC5 there's no decision at all, just click the button and you're done. May as well make it automatic, why bother making the player click the button?

Shopping for Vehicles and Boats
They just spawn out of thin air. Really? What about immersion! The developers aren't even trying! Pfft, this really is a retrograde step in gaming. Two words: "random generator". No two play throughs should be the same.

Difficulty is way too easy!
This is really bad. There's little challenge. This issue is actually putting me off the game. I may end up not finishing because of this one factor alone.
I'm playing on hard and most of the time I'm just slogging through missions. For example, I went down into a basement to clear out a bunch of angels. It was dark down there. I just swung my baseball bat around a few times and it was all done. That could have been really scary if it was just harder. Same with most firefights. Give me a gun boat and I can camp out for ages, taking out other gun boats, planes, snipers, angels, bears, you name it, apparently I'm a god! You do get the odd challenge now and then, but far and few between. To make it worse, stealth is less and less attractive, except when freeing up hostages. I mean, why bother? You can just run into the middle of the camp guns blazing and most of the time you can survive it with clever ducking and weaving. Can be fun, but no challenge.

Boomer
Boomer is great, but being able to command him at great distances is just not realistic. I would have preferred that he was less precise on following commands too. But otherwise he's pretty good.

To get the most value out of the game what I'm doing is creating my own little missions and challenges. For example, I'll make myself only use bow and arrow, or I have to use the revolver, or I have to destroy X angels/trucks/boats in a row and stuff like that. I try to avoid using choppers and planes so I can get to really explore the maps.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
fvbounty

Thanks Zap, you should be a game reviewer for a living, great write up, I'm almost done with Wolfenstein the new order, Ill try this game, but with a new puppy its a full time job keeping up with him. LOL

Old 04-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #27
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Thanks Zap, you should be a game reviewer for a living, great write up, I'm almost done with Wolfenstein the new order, Ill try this game, but with a new puppy its a full time job keeping up with him. LOL
Nah, it wouldn't work out because I refuse to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, can only write how I truly feel about a game and I doubt that would suit the production companies, lol.

I've been playing mostly in Faiths territory and doing a heap of side missions.
I was supposed to collect 3 Grizzly skins. I had 2 and then accidentally sold them! lol, be careful when selling loot using quick sell, it doesnt just sell the junk!

I'm enjoying this area quite a bit, as theres lots to do. Seems like every civilian I save has a little mission that needs doing. Some of the missions are a real challenge too.

Did I mention that after I downloaded the recent update the difficulty feels slightly stronger? Still mostly easy but at least theres some resistance now. I actually ran out of ammo on one mission and died 3 times liberating the place.
I enjoy the stealth aspect to outposts, planning my strategy from on high then steathily executing it. If it goes to heck thats ok too, because then I switch to assault which is a good change of pace.

Theres some serious flaws in the combat A.I. though. Its mostly rush tactics, some camping with ranged weapons with very little duck and cover and no flanking built in. Its pretty dumb. If they could uplift this for FC6 it would really make the game a stand out. That would be my recommendation at this point, beef up the combat A.I. as its holding the game back.

Some very pretty scenery in this part of the game. I'd like to know how true to life the look and feel is. Are there really that many black bears and big cats wandering about in Montana? and how do people deal with that when hiking around? Isn't that pretty dangerous? The only dangers here would be insects and snakes and the odd angry kangaroo! Why havent those animals been eliminated by people in the past as they expanded and settled into those areas?
I'm surprised that people can live side by side with such large and dangerous animals, if thats the case?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM   #28
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well, I've defeated Faith, thank goodness. That was the most tedious and boring mission. It essentially devolves into a corrodoor shooter end-boss battle complete with frequent cut-scenes Lame!

I dk what the developers were thinking. It breaks immersion, takes away all player freedom and choice and falls back to a 90's type of game style. They even introduced a shooting gallery at one point. I mean, seriously.
In 1998 HL obsoleted such game mechanics and yet here we are.
May as well be playing a CoD game.

Anyhow, its over and I can get back to exploration and missions.
Hopefully with Faith gone the stupid Bliss thing where angels morph out of thin air behind the player will go to.

Ok, at this point I'm more than half way through and while theres more to do here than in FC4 theres far less of a sense of progression and nearly no reward for exploration. FC4 stands as a competitive alternative, unlike FC3 which was superceded by FC4. IMHO FC5 is a disappointment despite improved graphics and companions. The battles for outposts and missions are fun, especially the planning and stealth aspect just like in FC4, but it does get very predictable due to the simple A.I. and in fact does not improve on FC4. You get just as much satisfaction and fun playing FC4, maybe more with beautiful environments and mystical themes.

I'll keep playing but its becoming a chore. I'm not saying it isnt worth playing, it is, but it hasn't pushed the series forward by much at all.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #29
fvbounty

I hate games that seem more like work than fun...hope it gets better for you!