ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-04-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
PCBruiser

Wink .An Air Guy Takes The Plunge

After having done a lot of reading here, and thinking for a long time on it, I've decided to take the plunge from air cooling to water. Never having done that before, I first read everything here related to the subject.

First issue - absolutely no room in my case for the cooling components. So, the major parts have to be external. Second issue, first timer doing this, so easy is better than hard, even though I have built many air cooled rigs. Third issue, safety and reliability. Forth issue, that it actually work better than my current, excellent, reliable, beloved Zalman 7000 Cu.

My decision? Koolance Exos Aluminum.

D-Day? This weekend. I had to get the CPU water block drop shipped from the manufacturer because it was out-of-stock locally.

So, here I go. If no one hears from me again, it's been great ...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Tycho_abx
Owner of 2 CUSL2-C's

haha, good luck

and in case it goes wrong:
just kidding
Club3D ATI Radeon 9700PRO
Creative Soundblaster Audigy Player
Old 02-04-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
YoBoGo
Watered

Good Luck PC, I am sure it will all go well. Be sure to keep us up to date on how it goes and your results.
WIN XP PRO SP2 * NFORCE 91.31 * DIRECTX 9.0C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

Good luck PCB! I've never studied up on this. Can you answer me some basic questions:

1. do you have to use distilled water?

2. do you use clear tubes with food coloring added? hehe

When in doubt, smack it!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
YoBoGo
Watered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bofinn
Good luck PCB! I've never studied up on this. Can you answer me some basic questions:

1. Yes, very good idea. Also you can mix in some Antifreeze to help keep the water free of bacteria and growths along with Water Wetter to help the flow of the water (smells baaaaaaaad).

2. Clear tubes with some dye, but don't have to.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Bofinn

Well, haven't done it yet, but with the Koolance kit:

1. It comes with a bag of premixed fluid, enough for the system, and good for a year, when it needs to be replaced. I think a new bag is $5, but is essentially a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and distilled water. But, for $5, I'll get some more in a year.

2. The tubes that come with it (and all I am planning on is my CPU for the moment) are blue solid colored and armored for protection, since the main cooler unit is external. So, no point in adding coloring, eh? There is additional tubing that is strictly for internal use for additional cooling blocks (vidcard, NB, drives, etc.) which is clear. The supplied fluid may already be colored, don't know until I fill the system.

And thanks for the good wishes, everyone.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
rokstar

heh, i see you online so you didn't screw up yet

just 1 question, why external and not buy a bigger case? from what i understand internals work better or am i wrong here?
Radeon 9800PRO 128Mb + Iceberg CCB-A4C
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Hitachi HD 120GB 7200R 8MB
Sony DDU1612 /Asus CRW-5224A
Case Raidmax ATX-668WBP
Enermax EG465AX-VE WFMA
Nec FP912SB-BK
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
YoBoGo
Watered

All depends. I used to have internal but too much junk going on inside the case made for tight conditions and not very good looking with the window. It can be done right though (look up Dr.2K, nicest rig I have ever seen).

I do mine externally now and have all the cooling parts (res, pump, rad) in a mini fridge next to the computer. Keeps every very chilly, very quiet and much more room in my case.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #9
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally posted by rokstar
heh, i see you online so you didn't screw up yet

just 1 question, why external and not buy a bigger case? from what i understand internals work better or am i wrong here?
Well. I have a mid-tower, a LL that I customized with window cut-outs, internal cold cathode lights and extra blow hole on the top (120mm). Actually 2 identical ones - one for my wife. Now, put in that 7 hard drives, plus DVD burner, Audigy with front panel, MB, 550w power supply, all that adds up to no room at all. So, external is the way for me to go, and one more concern of mine - probably unwarranted - I would rather have the water tank and pump outside the box. Besides which, my wife thought the Koolance looked good, and after 35 years of marriage ...
Old 02-04-2004, 08:13 PM   #10
rokstar

Quote:
(look up Dr.2K, nicest rig I have ever seen)
i have seen it, but that's not my style..

if you put all that work in your case, i can understand that you don't really want to part with it..

Quote:
Besides which, my wife thought the Koolance looked good, and after 35 years of marriage
go sean, go
Radeon 9800PRO 128Mb + Iceberg CCB-A4C
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Hitachi HD 120GB 7200R 8MB
Sony DDU1612 /Asus CRW-5224A
Case Raidmax ATX-668WBP
Enermax EG465AX-VE WFMA
Nec FP912SB-BK
Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
zsaz1029

Good luck!

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
PCBruiser

Thanks all. Have to wait for the cpu water block to arrive. Scheduled for Friday sometime. After that ...
Old 02-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #13
Ozzie
CRS Designee

...just make sure to test it for a bit first...leaks are the #1 cause of fatality...and the video cards are the first to get hit...

Ahem...speaking from experience...

Change is the only constant in life

Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #14
akjay
Let it snow!

Good luck!

I've been thinking about water cooling since my wife keeps commenting on how the fans sure are a lot louder on this rig than from the last. The way I figure it is I would go internal since I seem to have plenty of room in my case. I'm extremely interested in your experience and how easy you think it ends up being. So keep us posted and provide lots of pics if you can!
6800 Ultra
Audigy 2 zs Paired with Logitech Z5300 5.1 speakers
PC Power & Cooling PSU In a Thermaltake Shark all water cooled
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally posted by akjay
Good luck!

I've been thinking about water cooling since my wife keeps commenting on how the fans sure are a lot louder on this rig than from the last. The way I figure it is I would go internal since I seem to have plenty of room in my case. I'm extremely interested in your experience and how easy you think it ends up being. So keep us posted and provide lots of pics if you can!
Will do, and maybe that can justify that new camera ....