ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #46
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Re: Intel exits the desktop motherboard business to focus on new form factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I also saw that Intel is coming out with a NUC with a I7 and I5 cpu's in the near furture.
Yeah, it is sad because the whole premise of this forum was to discuss computer building. Future small platforms will severely restrict modification or customization. Also when I see Intels NUC's, I feel that you might as well move onto small handhelds like the iPad or Dells large desktop LCD with the PC built into it. Having a bunch of cables going into a small box would be strange.

Really, if Intel graphics keep moving like they are and we get rid of the discrete graphics cards and start using flash storage media to rid ourselves of the DVD ROM, we can have a very small box like the NUC and then just have everything else wireless but for the video cable to a desktop monitor. That might be the way of the future desktop.

Also, Intel is pushing Thunderbolt interface. Apple is going to use it and Intel has a version coming out that doubles its bandwidth from 24GB/s to 50GB/s. Can you imagine 50GB/s?
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #47
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Intel exits the desktop motherboard business to focus on new form factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
... I believe Intel will produce even smaller CPU's with onboard graphics and extra video cache that will make discrete video cards unnecessary ...
If that's the way things go it won't be because more powerful graphics are unnecessary (nor discrete video cards). I think computer graphics still have a long way to go, and computer games even more so.
Complex graphics, audio, physics and gaming AI (all types of AI) require very powerful computing. For the next few years I can't see that all being housed in a tablet sized package. Instead, the converse is happening where the games are being dumbed down to fit the current console format. Sure, I can imagine tablets could run Bioshock Infinite in the next couple of generations, but Bioshock Infinite is not the end game.

One day, of course, virtual reality such as depicted in the movie The Matrix will be encoded into a thumb drive sized package, but that's a while off yet. We will still need powerful PC sized packages for a while to come.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote