ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-25-2003, 01:24 AM   #31
PaleRider

BRAVO!!!
Thanks Mr Steveo
You can certainly earn a living as a writer--(you're better than most attorneys )
Thanks again
* WD Special Edition 80 GB 8MB cache
* Antec SX1040BII 400 watt ATX
* "The rest is the usual suspects"
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-25-2003, 02:36 AM   #32
Mr Steveo
Stayed @HolidayInn Xpress

Quote:
Originally posted by PaleRider
BRAVO!!!
Thanks Mr Steveo
You can certainly earn a living as a writer--(you're better than most attorneys )
Thanks again
Thx,

I didnt know attorneys and Hemingway were in the same category But I'll keep that in mind if I ever retire to a desert island filled with chiropractors.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can. -- Dealer contribution does not affect consumer cost."
- Hemingway and Associates. P.A

Hardware Siggy - Under Construction

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2003, 03:02 AM   #33
PaleRider

He He
Good one Mr Steveo
* WD Special Edition 80 GB 8MB cache
* Antec SX1040BII 400 watt ATX
* "The rest is the usual suspects"
Old 01-25-2003, 04:53 AM   #34
JoeBar
Bite me if u can...

Quote:
Originally posted by YoBoGo
Question about the BIOS, especially on the P4PE. What is the best BIOS for this board, is the 1003 good? Also, if not and I need to change for whatever reason when my board gets here, is BIOS flash the very, very last thing I do?

Thanks!
Till now in my opinion there isn't any "best bios" for P4PE. I've used 1001, all 1002 betas and now i'm with 1003.006. I haven't experienced any probs till now with any of them and didn't see any differences in performance or stability. The only thing changed form 1001 and 1002 is the sdram idle timer which is set now at 64 (1001 and 1002 where at 0 and 16 clocks).
The rule "if it ain't broken don't fix it" applies here. Whenever i get a new mb i do the first setup with it's shipped bios to test stability, performance and oc. Then i play with bios. However when i have devided on one, i prefer flashing it before setting up everything else.
2 x 1GB Transcend DDR2-533 @ 770mhz
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 | 300GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic combined with Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 550 THX
Asus E616P3 DVD | Asus 1608-P DVD-RW
Thermaltake Kandalf black super tower with 4 x 120mm and 2 x 90mm blue led fans | Chieftec 550W Triple 12V rails - 120mm fan
Old 01-25-2003, 06:39 AM   #35
shootcraps

Nice work Mr Steveo.

I usually install Directx, video and sound drivers between motherboard drivers and add-on pci card drivers. My reasoning was these are more important than anything else and should be given priority. Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:39 AM   #36
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by shootcraps
Nice work Mr Steveo.

I usually install Directx, video and sound drivers between motherboard drivers and add-on pci card drivers. My reasoning was these are more important than anything else and should be given priority. Any thoughts?
Mornin,

So youree saying you do chipset, DX9, vid,sound, PCI? If that works with your system then by all means stick with what you prefer. AS Im sure you know theres certain orders that are just plain bad always. But yours wouldnt seem to be one of those.

My thoughts are along the same lines as your but to a different end. Because video and sound are so important leave them until everything else is properly installed. Plus in the past I have seen some LAN, and periperal add on cards that can "undo" some of the delicate power management abilities that the video card drivers install. In those cases, installing video after all but sound card solved such problems.

At the same time...

As Im sitting here going through scenarios in my head, it seems there would be one place where I can see your method working better. And that would be in a siuation where one of the PCI cards is a TV tuner card. Clearly in this instance youd want the video drivers installed before a TV tuner PCI card.

So maybe an improvement to the Guide would be to distinguish categories of PCI cards?

Hmmmm.....
Thanks for the thought provoking question, it looks like Ive got a revision to go make this afternoon

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:42 AM   #37
Nikademus
geek

A guide to installing an OS cannot be complete without telling how to install a real OS..
Please tell us how to install linux or fbsd.

P4 2000 @ 3000mhz | Debian GNU/Linux | NetBSD | OpenBSD | FreeBSD
Old 01-25-2003, 07:50 AM   #38
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikademus
A guide to installing an OS cannot be complete without telling how to install a real OS..
Please tell us how to install linux or fbsd.
A Guide to Linux and FreeBSD? Nonsense!

Thats like going on a camping trip and taking a cooler full of sandwiches The whole idea and fun of Linux is the freedom and flying by the seat of your pants. (As Im sure you agree)

We dont need no stinkin Linux Guide, thats for wussies LOL

Join me on Google+ at

Old 01-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #39
Nikademus
geek

Hey, I know how to install them.
But many people are still hesitating, so a guide could be good. I also know that it's easier to install many linux distributions than to install windows, as long as you don't require dual boot.

Old 01-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #40
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikademus
Hey, I know how to install them.
But many people are still hesitating, so a guide could be good.
Ooops...I htought you were being sarcastic My bad.

Since you seem enthusiastic about it, I'd say talk to one of the Forum Moderators and see what they think. I dont mind if you want to add a Linux Guide to this thread, but its best to see what they think first.

Join me on Google+ at

Old 01-25-2003, 08:24 AM   #41
Nikademus
geek

Quote:
Ooops...I thought you were being sarcastic
Well, I was a little bit, but I still think a guide could be great.

Old 01-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #42
YoBoGo
Watered

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBar
Till now in my opinion there isn't any "best bios" for P4PE. I've used 1001, all 1002 betas and now i'm with 1003.006. I haven't experienced any probs till now with any of them and didn't see any differences in performance or stability. The only thing changed form 1001 and 1002 is the sdram idle timer which is set now at 64 (1001 and 1002 where at 0 and 16 clocks).
The rule "if it ain't broken don't fix it" applies here. Whenever i get a new mb i do the first setup with it's shipped bios to test stability, performance and oc. Then i play with bios. However when i have devided on one, i prefer flashing it before setting up everything else.
Thanks JoeBar, appreciate the answer. It doesn't seem like anyone in any of these forums have landed on the "best" BIOS for this board, so I will just wait and see what which version I have when it arrives.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:02 PM   #43
FB

a dual-boot guide to Linux would be nice because i want to install Linux on one of my computers, but the problem is it is a laptop i am required to rent every semester and there are certain proggies you can only get from the schools helpdesk when they re-image your drive...yes that is correct if you go in with a problem, they say and i quote "i don't know what that means, but we can reimage your HD if you want"

so yes for a n00b like me, a guide on how to dual-boot linux would be very helpful

Old 01-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #44
BigCat

Quote:
Originally posted by brschmid
a dual-boot guide to Linux would be nice because i want to install Linux on one of my computers, but the problem is it is a laptop i am required to rent every semester and there are certain proggies you can only get from the schools helpdesk when they re-image your drive...yes that is correct if you go in with a problem, they say and i quote "i don't know what that means, but we can reimage your HD if you want"

so yes for a n00b like me, a guide on how to dual-boot linux would be very helpful
brschmid, in case you can't wait, here is a guide I ran into:

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00011.asp
Old 01-25-2003, 09:01 PM   #45
FB

thanks i am attempting to install linux right now

i just repartitioned my drive with partition magic

i am using WIN98SE