ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-26-2003, 09:18 AM   #46
scooterhd69
Curmudgeon

Picked up a copy of win XP last night at BestBuy and it includes sp1. saves one step anyway.

Scooter
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-27-2003, 12:53 AM   #47
FB

nevermind about the guide, i figured it out, just have to figure out how to get my audio to work, it only works under 98se.

linux was pretty easy to follow on how to set up the dual boot

Old 01-27-2003, 12:59 PM   #48
FB

I have a question about the XP guide:

what is the purpose of the ATI section "dxdiag [/whql:off]"

is it essential to do this, because i have never heard of it before

Old 01-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #49
AHLnut

brschmid, look on page 2 of this thread, the 9th post down (it's by Mr Steveo), and it expalins why this is suggested
Old 01-27-2003, 02:25 PM   #50
FB

oh thanks, i forgot what was all stated previously, i shouldve checkd

Old 01-27-2003, 06:39 PM   #51
Son O' Gritz

What is the benefit exactly from doing the following in this step:

4. You will be brought to a License Agreement screen. A few steps later you will be brought to a Screen that shows your hard drives and their sizes. It is from HERE that you may set up (or delete) partitions. With Windows XP, this is the proper place to partition your drives. If you plan on using NTFS for the OS partition, its important that you partition your drives here and not earlier with any DOS based utilities.

Once you have done that what partition is best to install Windows as stated in the next step:

5. Once the drives are partitioned, highlight the partition to which you wish to install Windows, then press Enter and follow the onscreen instructions
Old 01-27-2003, 06:56 PM   #52
FB

i think drive C: is the general rule

Old 01-27-2003, 07:03 PM   #53
Mr Steveo
Stayed @HolidayInn Xpress

Quote:
Originally posted by Son O' Gritz
What is the benefit exactly from doing the following in this step:

4. You will be brought to a License Agreement screen. A few steps later you will be brought to a Screen that shows your hard drives and their sizes. It is from HERE that you may set up (or delete) partitions. With Windows XP, this is the proper place to partition your drives. If you plan on using NTFS for the OS partition, its important that you partition your drives here and not earlier with any DOS based utilities.

Once you have done that what partition is best to install Windows as stated in the next step:

5. Once the drives are partitioned, highlight the partition to which you wish to install Windows, then press Enter and follow the onscreen instructions
If you partition and format using a DOS based program or if you set up a FAT32 based partition and later convert to NTFS there is a serious trade off. When you convert from FAT32 to NTFS, even if that conversion is done during windows setup; then your default allocation unit size for the partition will be a tiny 512 bytes. Keep in mind the default allocation unit size is nearly eight times larger (4,096 bytes) for any NTFS partition over 2 GB.

So if you partition and/or format before starting installation of WIndows, you run the risk of having a partition with an unnecessarily small allocation unti size. The result of which can be slower seek perforamnce of the hard drive and increased drive fragmentation.

Therefore, I included the steps you quoted in the Guide to avoid people falling into the FAT32 - NTFS conversion trap.

========================
For more information on allocation unit szes
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B314878

Hardware Siggy - Under Construction

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #54
Stevofla

Steveo,

Nice user name.

I really like your post, It scares the s#&@ out of me!

I've spent a lot of time researching parts for my first build and I'm in the process of ordering them now. Currently I'm working on researching information on the actual building process and I come across your post. It definately looks like it will help alot, a real lot. But I think I'm going in over my head on this first build idea.

I realized there would be drivers, but putting them in orders and such. Also all the updates and burning everything to cd's. This may be more than I can handle..

I just went back and reread your post and I keep saying to myself "I think I can, I think I can"

What I should be saying is "I think I can call Dell"

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, newbies like me really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes, if it goes.

Stevo
Old 01-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #55
Son O' Gritz

Mr Steveo thank you for the response to my question, it was very helpful.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #56
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevofla

I just went back and reread your post and I keep saying to myself "I think I can, I think I can"

What I should be saying is "I think I can call Dell"

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, newbies like me really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes, if it goes.

Stevo
Son O Gritz - welcome.

Stevofla:
LOL Too funny

Even though it seems like a lot of stuff, actually its not. The Guide simply states each and every step a new person would want to follow to get things set up properly.

If you look at it in total it can look overwhelming, but actually its not. Most steps take less than one minute to execute. And Ive gone to great lengths to ensure that each Guide step includes the exact wording you will see on your screen in Windows XP when you are prompted to do something.

As for downloading stuff ahead of time. ITs ALWAYS a good idea to have a back up copy of drivers you need on a disk. If you ever were to have a problem where you needed to reinstall a driver, and if you couldnt get online, what would you do? Therefore suggestions like the one you mention in the Guide arent there as extraneous or overwhelming steps. They are there as part of smart computing.

So if you print it all out and keep it next to you on your desk and just read and execute one step at a time; I think you will find it quite easy. If you can see the Guide as a one step at a time process, and if you keep in mind there are lots of smart people in this forum who are here to help you 24/7; I think your heebie geebies will start to subside.

So in sum? I vote you continue on the path to building. Let Michael Dell have someone elses cash

We Asusboard members are here for ya man!

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mr Steveo; 01-27-2003 at 07:42 PM..
Old 01-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #57
scooterhd69
Curmudgeon

Stevofla........you can handle it, don't look back and by all means don't call Dell....building your own won't save you much money but it is a lot of fun.......the folks here will help get you out of any trouble you might get yourself into
you might want to list the parts that you are planning to use and see if anyone tries to change your mind on something....

Scooter
Old 01-27-2003, 07:41 PM   #58
Son O' Gritz

Based on one 80 GB hard drive how many and what size partitions are optimal.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #59
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by Son O' Gritz
Based on one 80 GB hard drive how many and what size partitions are optimal.
Go back to page 2 of this thread and read YoBoGo's question and my reply along with the associated link. That should anwer your question. If not, post back.

Join me on Google+ at

Old 01-27-2003, 11:05 PM   #60
ajrace

Please add install guide for Win 98se. with the P4pe mobo.
Thanks