ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-28-2003, 01:19 AM   #61
Mr Steveo
Stayed @HolidayInn Xpress

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrace
Please add install guide for Win 98se. with the P4pe mobo.
Thanks
From the very first post on page1:

- "**Im not even sure enough people still use Win9x/Me to make a future Guide worthwhile. But if forum members want it, cool. I haven't used Win9x/Me in years so I could use a volunteer to help me write such a Guide"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of today no one has yet volunteered to help me write such a Guide. Nor has anyone offered to write a Guide for 98se themselves to add to this thread.

Stay tuned, Im sure some other 98se enthusiast will step up to the plate sooner or later. In the meantime just install it as you normally would being sure that INF drivers are installed before USB, video or audio.

Hardware Siggy - Under Construction

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 AM   #62
shootcraps

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mr Steveo

So if you print it all out and keep it next to you on your desk and just read and execute one step at a time; I think you will find it quite easy. If you can see the Guide as a one step at a time process, and if you keep in mind there are lots of smart people in this forum who are here to help you 24/7; I think your heebie geebies will start to subside.

So in sum? I vote you continue on the path to building. Let Michael Dell have someone elses cash

We Asusboard members are here for ya man! [/B]

That's right, Baby! It reminds me of the eternal question - How do you eat an elephant???

One bite at a time.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #63
Sharpedge

On #4 under Let's Proceed,

If my hard drive was previously partitioned, then I could remove it and repartition so to get full use of win xp.

I hope my understanding is correct.

Thank you again for this marvelous guide.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:47 PM   #64
AHLnut

Hey Steveo, buddy old pal. I have a ?? for ya. Since you did an AWESOME!!! job with this guide(it's better than the MSI one ), are we to look forward to a BIOS guide too LOL!!!!!!!
I of course could help in testing if you needed

Last edited by AHLnut; 01-28-2003 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-28-2003, 01:59 PM   #65
FB

Sharpedge,
my HD was partitioned, i just deleted the partition with XP on it, because the my other partition is just backup stuff. XP installed just fine, it is working great!!!

Mr. Steveo i would like to congradulate you again on a job very well done

Old 01-28-2003, 03:50 PM   #66
Rico_abx

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevofla
Steveo,

Nice user name.

I really like your post, It scares the s#&@ out of me!

I've spent a lot of time researching parts for my first build and I'm in the process of ordering them now. Currently I'm working on researching information on the actual building process and I come across your post. It definately looks like it will help alot, a real lot. But I think I'm going in over my head on this first build idea.

<snip>

What I should be saying is "I think I can call Dell"

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, newbies like me really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes, if it goes.

Stevo
Don't call Dell - build it yourself!! Building part is easy, gathering the right parts is the trick followed by gathering together drivers and such. Getting it up on it's feet well .... there's plenty of help here. Only thing I would say when building - take it slowly and carefully and be very careful of static discharge - ground yourself (use a wriststrap). Take it from me the warm glow from booting up a home built machine for the first time, although nerve racking, takes some beating

Also Steveo and others thxs for all the useful info you guys share. This forum is a mine of useful info

Rico
Old 01-28-2003, 03:58 PM   #67
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge
On #4 under Let's Proceed,

If my hard drive was previously partitioned, then I could remove it and repartition so to get full use of win xp.

I hope my understanding is correct.

Thank you again for this marvelous guide.
Yes that is correct. If you have existing partitions on the drive, you can just delete those partitions from the Windows Setup screen mentioned in step 4.

However, before you recreate a new one, it might be smart to press "F3" then "Enter" after you delete the partition. This will reboot and restart the Windows XP install process. This reboot is not always necessary. But two times in the last year I have seen a few nasty FAT32 partitions that didnt play nice when you deleted them and immediately recreated an NTFS partition.

So to recap.
-Delete the partition from the screen mentioned in step 4
-Press "F3" then "Enter" to reboot
-Upon reboot, when you get back to that same screen mentioned in step 4, create the new partition.
==========================================

AHLnut:

Thats a pretty funny typo
Actually, no... LOL... I have no plans for any more Guides But if you want to put one together and if the forum and moderators like the idea, Im happy to help you test stuff
==========================================

For those wanting a Windows 98/Me Guide:

I was just contacted by a really smart forum veteran who says he may be interested in putting a Win98SE Guide together. As more information becomes avaialble i will update y'all.

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #68
AHLnut

wow, those typo's are rubbing off MR Steveo :eek: J/K my friend
Old 01-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #69
YoBoGo
Watered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rico
Don't call Dell - build it yourself!! Building part is easy, gathering the right parts is the trick followed by gathering together drivers and such. Getting it up on it's feet well .... there's plenty of help here. Only thing I would say when building - take it slowly and carefully and be very careful of static discharge - ground yourself (use a wriststrap). Take it from me the warm glow from booting up a home built machine for the first time, although nerve racking, takes some beating

Also Steveo and others thxs for all the useful info you guys share. This forum is a mine of useful info

Rico

Steveofla-
Listen to Rico, build it yourself and you will save much $$$ and enjoy your computer a heck of a lot more than buying one.

I just started building them about a year ago and after the first one (which went OK) I have built 7 since then and am working on another as we speak. I'm hooked! The members here won't steer you wrong and Mr Steveo's guide takes care of what is really the hardest part of building in my opinion...making the hardware play nice with the software & drivers.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:04 PM   #70
Stevofla

Guys,

Thanks for the encouraging words! Yes, I will continue in the build process. Just to give you an idea of what I have planned out so far.

Currently on order from Newegg; (due Friday)

Asus p4pe loaded
p4 2.53
MSI GF4 ti4200
AntecTrue power 480
WD spec edition 120 gb
Lite-on cd-rw

I currently have new:
Lian Li pc-65 w/window
(1) 512 Crucial pc 2700

I had a hard time trying to choose a mother board and video card, but thats what I came up with. Any comments???? Please shoot them at me.

I'm sure you'll all be hearing from me soon if you know what I me.

Stevo,

Not to be confused with the mighty steveo!

Last edited by Stevofla; 01-28-2003 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-28-2003, 06:10 PM   #71
bdj470

Steveo on anyone,

I have one quick question. I am thinking of redoing complete re-install of my system.

My question is what PCI slot should I put my SB Audigy in? I was always told with Asus boards that I should put it in PCI 3. Should I leave it there?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #72
FB

Steveo,
am i correct in what i said a few posts back about the partitions, you do only need to delete the windows partition correct?? not all of them??

also how do you get color into your signature, just curious??

Last edited by FB; 01-31-2003 at 12:33 PM..
Old 01-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #73
AHLnut

bdj470, PCI slot 5 seems to be the preferred slot for Audigy cards. It has something to do with IRQ assignments the Firewire device on the card. PCI 5 seems to keep devices on their own IRQ better than any other slot.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #74
Mr Steveo

Quote:
Originally posted by brschmid

Steveo,
am i correct in what i said a few posts back about the partitions, you do only need to delete the windows partition correct??
Thats correct. Because non OS partitions can be managed from within the Windows Control Panel, any chaning of format, allocation unit size, etc can be done later. Sometimes its helpful to do this if you have partitions on other drives that contain data you want to keep intact through your next OS installation.

As for colors in signatures LOL Just go into your profile and before a string of text, type [*color=blue*] Then at the end of the text string type [*/color*] Just remember to remove the *s in my example and enter the color of your choice.

Join me on Google+ at

Old 01-28-2003, 10:48 PM   #75
FB

maybe changing the slot for my Audigy would help, it is in #3 now. Does anyone know which slot a TBSC goes in, #3??

thanks will give it a shot