ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-28-2003, 11:03 PM   #76
Mr Steveo
Stayed @HolidayInn Xpress

Brschmid,

Its really rare to need to change PCI slots on these newer APIC enabled mobos. And its definitely more rare than with other chipsets thanks to the very sweet Intel PCI bus.

If youre old school and like your IRQs to look al neat and tidy, then juggling slots can be something to do some afternoon. But usually problems stemming from PCI devices are driver related, latency related, or caused by a poorly designed PCI card.

As such, I dont see any reason you cant use a Cruz sound card in either PCI 3 or 5. If youre having a problem with your card or sound, Id look to the Turtle beach websites download page and read their ever increasing release notes. You might also try some different driver versions too.

Additionally, it might be a good idea to bring up whatever sound problems you have in the appropraite forum here at Asusboards. Maybe another member found a fix to whatver you have going on.

Hardware Siggy - Under Construction

Join me on Google+ at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-28-2003, 11:49 PM   #77
FB

Mr. Steveo,
currently i am considering buying a TBSC, but now i own a Audigy 1 and can honostly say i am not too impressed. I have huge driver issues for some reason. now i use AUD2 drivers and that kind of worked, but my rear speakers are softer than they used to be, and i don't quite have all the control over the card that i would like. the thing about PCI slots, i saw in another thread where it helped someone, so it was just an idea.

Is installing a soundcard hard, (i had my box built for me which was a mistake, but that is a different story) as far as i understand it is just uninstall the old, take it out, put new one in, and install everything else for it?? am i correct?

also i am definetly not old school, i just got hardcore into computers about 5 months ago and am still very much a n00b, although i have learned alot from all of you fine people here at Asuaboards!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 AM   #78
Bubulle

This is really a great Guide !! Thanks a lot

Olivier

AMD FX53 [2430, 270x9, 1.55V]
DFI nF4 SLI-DR [Bios 310]
2x512 Mo OCZ PC3200 Platinium Edition (rev2) [2.5-2-3-6, 2.9 V, 1:1]
Watercooling : Asetek Waterchill Antartica
Antec NeoPower- 480 Watts
Matrox Max9 SATA- 120Go
2xWD Raptor- 36Go RAID0
Graveur/ lecteur DVD : LG GSA-4163B
ATI X850XT PE [catalyst 5.3]
Audigy 2 Player
ANTEC P160
Apple 23" Cinema HD LCD Monitor
Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 THX
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 01-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #79
Rico_abx

Quote:
Originally posted by YoBoGo
Steveofla-
Listen to Rico, build it yourself and you will save much $$$ and enjoy your computer a heck of a lot more than buying one.

I just started building them about a year ago and after the first one (which went OK) I have built 7 since then and am working on another as we speak. I'm hooked! The members here won't steer you wrong and Mr Steveo's guide takes care of what is really the hardest part of building in my opinion...making the hardware play nice with the software & drivers.
Not sure you save a lot of dosh but you do get to pick and choose components. Bought my first computer about 5 years ago P166mmx, upgraded with help to a P3 500 after a while. Not to long later to a P3 850. Last year I bought one of those digital weather stations and needed something to record the data 24/7 so out came the heap of bits that was left of the old P166 and with a new hard drive and the odd bits and bobs my second computer was built! That was it I was hooked. Just built this machine (P4 2.53GHz + Asus P4PE) and at the same time built up a machine for my son around the remains and a few new bits of the P3 850. So now have three computers in the house .... and would NEVER buy an off the shelf system - no fun in that Three machines running sound and stable and all home built. 5 years ago didn't know one end of a pc from the other - now I'm gleaning these forums for info on the black art of overclocking
Old 01-30-2003, 05:02 PM   #80
scooterhd69
Curmudgeon

thanks to the gang here at AB i got my new pc up and running last night....went through the steps outlined in Mr Steveo's guide and the whole thing went without the first hitch of any kind....thanks Mr Steveo i'm sure that i could have done it without you but i probably would have had a few problems if not a lot......oh yeah she's folding away with the p3 that i already had
new system
antec 1080amg case
p4 2.4b running stock at the moment
512 ocz el pc3500 ram
radeon 9500 pro video card
wd 80 gig hard drive
klipsch speakers

Scooter
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM   #81
Serado

Thumbs up

Mr Steveo,

First off, a heartfelt thanks for putting such a compact yet complete reference document. I guess you could call it your one stop source index how-to!!!

I have been lurking on this board for several months now, and your little guide compelled me to join and give you some well deserved kudos.

Your guide is, needless to say, a must for anyone who is starting out in BYO (build your own). I have been building my own rigs since 1997 with my first P200MMX and the TX97-XE...

I am in the process of researching my next upgrade...P4 no doubt. Your Mr Steveo Guide to installation will be quite handy!

Looking forward to contribute as well,

Serado
Maxtor 80Gb 8mb Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256Mb
Windows XP Pro Sp2
Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 PM   #82
BigCat

Quote:
Originally posted by Serado
Mr Steveo,

First off, a heartfelt thanks for putting such a compact yet complete reference document. I guess you could call it your one stop source index how-to!!!

I have been lurking on this board for several months now, and your little guide compelled me to join and give you some well deserved kudos.

Your guide is, needless to say, a must for anyone who is starting out in BYO (build your own). I have been building my own rigs since 1997 with my first P200MMX and the TX97-XE...

I am in the process of researching my next upgrade...P4 no doubt. Your Mr Steveo Guide to installation will be quite handy!

Looking forward to contribute as well,

Serado
welcome to the board Serado, lots of fun around here. you'll enjoy the forum.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:03 AM   #83
Stevofla

Hey guys,

Received all my parts on friday overnight from NewEgg. What service, everything I want and overnight to my door. $1200 dollars later.....Going to start building sunday night.

I have a few questions about install on software. Should I partition my HD(120GB wd spec ed) I'm going to do some video edit. Pictures, Games, internet with the computer. Mind you I'm a complete newbie and will probably follow steveo install.

Is it worth doing and is it something I can do and maintain ???

Stevofla
Old 02-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #84
robaczek

It's recommended to have your files for video editing on a seperate physical drive.
A partition won't give you any performance benefits, just separation of data.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 PM   #85
AHLnut

A good thing about partitioning a drive is seperation of data. Then, If your Windows install gets wrecked beyond repair and you have to format, you WON'T lose the data on the 2nd partition. So, I would recommend a 20 GB (C: ) partition for Windows and all programs/games etc, then have all your video and such on the other 100 GB (D: ) partition. With this setup, if you do format and reinstall Windows, your data on D: remains untouched
Old 02-01-2003, 04:11 PM   #86
shootcraps

Yes, yes Yes!! I do that on all my pc's and it has saved my butt many times. In fact, I make a d:\Program Files directory and in the install I change the C: to a D:. If you have to reinstall Windows, you can just reinstall your apps and your data stays right there.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:09 PM   #87
Canyon Jack

Thumbs up

A salute to Mr. Steveo!

My first build. Started two weeks ago.
Lian-Li PC6085A, 400W ATX Silencer, ASUS P4PE, Intel P4, 2.4 GHz., Corsair CMX512-3200C2, WD800JB, Plextor 48/24/48, Ati Radeon 9700 Pro. (Still waiting on Sony DRU500A).
Carefully assembled all the goodies, power up then down in 3 seconds. Checked all the threads in here, disassembled, tested, reassembled -- still nothing. Checked all the power leads from ATX -- all voltages perfect. Tried running bare bones with monitor and HDD. Nothing. Finally returned the P4PE (ver 1.03) to newegg.
Before my new P4PE arrived (still ver 1.03), found this OS/Sofware guide and printed it out.
New board arrived yesterday. Reassembly followed by religious adherence step-by-step through the Steveo Guide. A few hours later . System runs perfectly just as promised.
Looking forward to getting some modern games to give the 9700 pro a good workout.
This forum is essential for a newbie like me. Couldn't have succeded without it, and a special pat on the back to Mr. Steveo for putting it in such plain and easy to follow language for the novice.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:17 PM   #88
FB

congrats on your new system, i too have came to asusboards for advice and now i am hooked. Hope you enjoy your system

Old 02-05-2003, 11:46 AM   #89
YoBoGo
Watered

Glad to hear that everything is working now Canyon Jack! What a difference an Install guide makes, huh??? I think Mr Steveo ought to start selling it as more than just a install guide, it can fix computers, fix your car, brighten your teeth and remove hard to clean stains on clothes (but that's not all....)
WIN XP PRO SP2 * NFORCE 91.31 * DIRECTX 9.0C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #90
FB

lol YoBoGo but i am not sure about fixing your car. whitening your teeth maybe because you wont spend all night working and drinking coffee