ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-21-2001, 07:01 PM   #1
JohnS

Unhappy

MY ADVICE is DON'T ever flash the BIOS, you are taking a chance at having a worthless system.

I managed to destroy my 1 week old system by flashing the bios to 1006. I had done it before without a problem but this time, after it flashed it said that it couldn't verify the data, or something like that. I knew I was in big trouble at that point and that I'd probably have an unusable system if I rebooted. I exited the flash program, ran it again, this time, it locked the machine.

Now the board has no bios, and is dead. I tried taking the battery out, how I wish it were so simple. I had Intel boards that had a safe recovery method where it would boot blindly from a floppy and reflash, NOT ASUS.

I don't think I'm gonna have it repaired because I'm sure it will cost a lot of money and take a very long time to get back.

So I wasted $150. At least it's not a LOT of money .

Am I going to buy another cusl2?
(Offline)  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-21-2001, 08:15 PM   #2
oo7_abx

well

Honestly I dont recomend a second one...

I use to live by asus... I recomend them at work (im a system builder)

Got 3 of them at home...

went threw a few asus boards myself....

Now I sit here at a new CUSL2-C with a hardware monitor that doesnt work correct (not just mine it happens to anyone) and the hardware monitor is somthing I value.....

When I see a company release somthing that doesnt work it makes me change my views on them pretty quick.

My next board will not be an asus. My next bord will be very soon Im thinking too... I havnt even had this cusl2-c for 1 week.... But the thing is the only fix for my problem is to run the ram bus at 100mhz.. I dont think so... Im gonna bite my lip and forget the $160 i spent on this board and replace it with somthing that works as advertised.
(Offline)  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:01 PM   #3
Nomis

Sorry to hear what happened JohnS(mith). I flash the bios everytime a new one comes out. but never thought somethings bad is gonna happen. Now, I'm a little concern. When you flash your bios, is a Command.exe, a aflash.exe and a bios all you have on the floppy disk? or you also have all the startup disk files. Do you think it was system instabilty that caused this diseater?
Maybe if you give me some idea than I will have a better change to avoid this unfortunely event from happening to me and the others, What do you say?
There are many motherboards perform just as good as CUSL2, but the only way you can keep your system updated is to flash the bios, you might want to look into a motherboard with two bios, one as backup in case the main one dies. If you do decide to get a second CUSL2. May I suggest the limited CUSL2 Black Pearl edition that comes out by the end of this month. Thanks
(Offline)  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:10 PM   #4
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Yea, two defective Asus boards for me! Something different next time.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:23 PM   #5
oo7_abx

2 defects?

What was wrong with em?
(Offline)  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:36 PM   #6
JohnS

Nomis,

I didn't use aflash but their windows program asupd32706.exe, maybe that is why it failed!

You absolutely should not flash the bios unless for a specific fix that you must have. I've got $500 worth of stuff in the closet to prove it.

(Offline)  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:52 PM   #7
Stormblade5000

Wink This might help...

No promises of course, but can help.

Before flashing: Return any overclocked settings to stock!!!

Also use cntrl-alt-del in windows (if using the windows flash tool which I recommend) and close everything except Explorer and Systray. Especially turn off firewalls and Antivirus if nothing else. This will limit problems and conflicts while flashing. Again I take no responsibility, but these things may help with a successful flash.
Old 02-21-2001, 11:29 PM   #8
Chert

Yah, I agree....B4 bios flashing, revert back to stock speeds and settings in the BIOS to ensure a totally stable system.

I think it's safer to use the DOS flash since a lock up in Windows during a flash using the ASUS Live Update will surely be fatal...If you do what Storm.. suggested by closing some inessential windows apps b4 flashing, this could minimize the risk but not totally remove it...

Been using both methods of flashing on various ASUS mobos and been lucky not to have experienced a bad flash...But luck can run out eventually...Who knows maybe a power fluctuation during a BIOS flash, followed by an unexpected sudden reboot... BIOS flashing is really very risky and should only be done if it is really necessary...

By the way, the new beta bios apparently allows 4X AGP to be enabled within Windows via the WCPRedit utility...So the Stuffpcr tweak is not needed anymore....
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 12:58 AM   #9
blurb_me
Intel Boy

damnit, i just began to like asus coz my cusl2-c works like a champ!!! no problem when flashing bios or overclocking coz the bios will reset to the earlier setting if it fails to boot. i also didnt have the problem where a few reported that the core voltage reset to default after rebooting.

but i damn hate abit. bought 2 of their board, 1st the zm6 then be6-2. it doesnt worth every cent you spent on their boards esp the be6-2. they put in the highpoint controller udma66 that performs worst than normal umda33 and the so call softmenu 3 that could oc well but not when u have the udma66 enable in the bios. then it wouldnt boot my new p3 600EB while asus did.

Iwill KK266
Athlon 850@1G
384MB Kingmax PC150
MSI GF2 MX@200/180
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 01:16 AM   #10
kaz
ŲLŠ GUŻ®

Always flash your bios in dos...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 06:33 AM   #11
Rayzor

Thumbs up

Ditto to what Kaz said.

My CUSL2 has been running beautifully since I bought it, it's a great board, no complaints here, sorry you guyz aren't having the same luck

01010010 01100001 01111001 01011010 01101111 01110010
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 06:52 AM   #12
JohnS

Thumbs up

kaz,

You are right, I think the problem is Asus' windows flash writer. Aflash.exe would never lock up the computer in DOS, leaving the bios unstable.

It seems to me that Asus is responsible for my loss since I did not do anything negligent.

(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 07:00 AM   #13
JohnS

blurb,

I'm glad to hear something about the highpoint controller!! I'm not surprised to hear it sucks. I bought a Promise Ultra 100 and I've had nothing but trouble with it. In one machine, a Shuttle Via MVP3 based, it would not allow a Maxtor 100/7200 drive to function without data corruption, even if I locked the drive to UDMA/33 in its firmware. With a Western Digital 66/7200 drive, I had to lock it at 33 or else it had similar problems. In the cusl2-c the Promise was much slower than Intel's IDE. I just think the Promise controller is junk and their technical support non-existent.

So I will never get a board having a Highpoint or Promise controller.
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 07:43 AM   #14
blurb_me
Intel Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnS
blurb,

I'm glad to hear something about the highpoint controller!! I'm not surprised to hear it sucks. I bought a Promise Ultra 100 and I've had nothing but trouble with it. In one machine, a Shuttle Via MVP3 based, it would not allow a Maxtor 100/7200 drive to function without data corruption, even if I locked the drive to UDMA/33 in its firmware. With a Western Digital 66/7200 drive, I had to lock it at 33 or else it had similar problems. In the cusl2-c the Promise was much slower than Intel's IDE. I just think the Promise controller is junk and their technical support non-existent.

So I will never get a board having a Highpoint or Promise controller.
yeah.....external controller is slower than native controller (intel ich2 or via south bridge) and seems take a bit of time and resources than native controller.

Iwill KK266
Athlon 850@1G
384MB Kingmax PC150
MSI GF2 MX@200/180
(Offline)  
Old 02-22-2001, 11:07 AM   #15
tearrek

Lightbulb

Hey there i am new to the board but i have a suggestion. make a boot disk with the bios file I can't remember exactly how it's done but i am sure you can find out from one of the more experienced posters...

All i know is my brother had a bad bios flash and he had a useless board i did some research on his board and all i needed to do was have the bios file the flasher and i can't remeber what else but powered up the machine it flashed the bios to the original bios file that we had downloaded and his board was restored...

hope this helps somehow..

TC,
Tearrek
(Offline)